spc
Search similar:

uniqs
PrplHaz4
join:2002-01-29
Walnut Creek, CA

PrplHaz4

ZyXEL wireless access points?

Anyone using these? I'm looking to outfit the office with some more reliable gear - Netgear router just isn't cutting it.

I've already installed a USG50 and Gigabit PoE switch - thinking that the netgear router could act as an AP and handle the wireless traffic...we'll it's been a week and my wireless clients are having trouble connecting...reboot the netgear and things are fine.

In short, I'm sick of the crappy reliability of the netgear stuff - and so far thrilled with my ZyXEL gear - how do their APs perform? This AP will need to support probably 15 clients (laptops, tablets and mobile phones)

Looking at these...any suggestions that aren't on the list (and aren't over $200)?

ZyXEL NWA1121-NI Wireless PoE AP
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33181233

ZyXEL NWA1100N-CE CloudEnabled PoE Access Point
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· F0BD7566

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Which Netgear router do you have?
For example the netgear R6300 would probably blow away most competitors.
Another option would be to put thirdparty firmware on lets say an older Netgear model. Doing this may provide the connectivity, stability and features desired.

In other words, although Im a Zyxel VAR, I would look at spending 0$ dollars first prior to plunging into more purchases.

So first thing is to establish which netgear model and secondly really have a decent discussion of your requirements. How many wifi devices, what kinds, what type of wifi do they employ. Do guests use your wifi, do you have diff groups of uses within the office that perhaps should not see each other but may share devices (ie printer), etc etc etc. Size shape of office........
is the gigabit switch managed?
PrplHaz4
Walnut Creek, CA

PrplHaz4

I am actually currently running 3 Netgear routers as access points. I consider one the Main, one secondary (same SSID as main) and a third is a guest (guest SSID) - mainly doing this to try and alleviate the Main of some traffic.

At this point, I'd see a true guest network as a luxury - and don't need any real separation (but wouldn't mind room to grow). I also don't want to manage anything that isn't necessary, so trying to keep complexity down.

Coverage with one AP has not been a problem despite the large area - so these are spaced as far as feasible to prevent them from interfering w/each other too much.

Network covers two floors, with a GbE switch on each. 2AP on 2nd floor (Main, Guest) and 1AP (secondary) on 1st floor. Main is centrally located on 2nd floor, so can cover all areas required on its own.

I don't beleive any of the routers I have are DD-WRT (or other) compatible.

2 Unmanaged GbE switches
Main: Netgear WGT624v3
Secondary: Netgear ProSafe FWG114P
Guest: Netgear WGR614v6

Typical Clients:
Laptops: 2 b/g, 2 b/g/n
Tablets: 2 b/g/n (mostly web browsing)
Mobiles: 3 b/g, 2 b/g/n (mostly web browsing)

Thanks!!!

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to PrplHaz4

Premium Member

to PrplHaz4
Concur, I would probably try one unit first on the main floor and if that doesnt suffice put a second unit on the second floor. Do you need POE for the AP?

The CiSCO WAP321 looks like a very capable unit up to 32 users, max 20 recommended. It has an option for a captive portal for guests if you dont want to institute a WPA or WPA2 password protected SSID etc.

I would also look at the Netgear R6300 and simply use it as an access point.
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb

I've always been interested in checking out the EnGenius WAPs. The EAP600 looks particularly interesting IMO.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

I have ECB9500 and I love it. Setup and forget.

lacibaci
join:2000-04-10
Export, PA

lacibaci to PrplHaz4

to PrplHaz4
I can recommend EnGenius ECB350.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to polarisdb

MVM

to polarisdb
said by polarisdb:

The EAP600 looks particularly interesting IMO.

Just about to install the EAP600 for a Client --- the unit is much larger than previous ceiling mounted gear but still unobtrusive ---will see how it goes.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hi Mozerd, I would be very interested in comparing the EAP600 and the Netgear R6300 (used in AP mode only). Looking forward to your feedback. Also have you used the WAP 321? It seems highly rated at smallnetbuilder
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT to PrplHaz4

Premium Member

to PrplHaz4
»www.arubanetworks.com/pr ··· s-point/

The ones we are using, love those
PrplHaz4
Walnut Creek, CA

PrplHaz4

Thanks guys...looks like I have some options to research!

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to JPedroT

Premium Member

to JPedroT
said by JPedroT:

»www.arubanetworks.com/pr ··· s-point/

The ones we are using, love those

Cough cough, do you sleep with them. I can see if you like them etc.... but dont you think love is an emotion to be used with living objects..... ;-P
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

When it saves you tons of work and support and you get paid for the support you do not have to do, you can project love for objects quite well
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by polarisdb:

The EAP600 looks particularly interesting IMO.

Just about to install the EAP600 for a Client --- the unit is much larger than previous ceiling mounted gear but still unobtrusive ---will see how it goes.

I would be interested to hear how it goes and your thoughts on the device.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to JPedroT

Premium Member

to JPedroT
Haha, well I hope you clean them off prior to installing. ;--P

Raises a moral question though, do you lessen your charges for support when its going to be knowingly less than stated to the client????
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

What the client pays for, is to have a working network with the least amount of downtime and for us to make sure it stays that way.
So if we end up doing a lot of work, we are actually not doing what the client pays us to do.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I pick JPT to be on my debating team. I think he can twist an argument inside out!! J/K.