spc
uniqs

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Re: Garage addition

I called the BI to talk to him about a 'finish' permit. I mentioned I planned to do 1/2" drywall for everything and he said I should do 1/2" on the walls and 5/8" on the ceiling. It's not a big price difference for just the ceilings but I wasn't sure why he would recommend a thicker drywall for the ceiling? Anyone heard of this?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by Draiman:

It's not a big price difference for just the ceilings but I wasn't sure why he would recommend a thicker drywall for the ceiling?

The thicker drywall is less likely to bend or crack (either from its own weight or from the insulation above it). This is less of an issue in vertical applications why a thinner drywall is sufficient for the walls.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
around here, 5/8 is usually only fire rated, and code is 30 minute fire rated for all ceilings to slow the vertical climb.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Don't forget to put beads on Drywall adhesive on the joists/studs that meet the sheetrock. Around here, it is code to use adhesive for ceilings along with screws. I also put on walls to cut down vibrations (media room). (PS. don't ask me how I feel about screws vs nails)

(subwoofer makes the closet doors rattle...)

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cableties:

Don't forget to put beads on Drywall adhesive on the joists/studs that meet the sheetrock. Around here, it is code to use adhesive for ceilings along with screws. I also put on walls to cut down vibrations (media room). (PS. don't ask me how I feel about screws vs nails)

(subwoofer makes the closet doors rattle...)

I would put on some adhesive if I did the job myself but it's not code so the pros won't do that. They just toss up screws ever 12 inches on walls and every 9 inches on ceilings.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

it's not code so the pros won't do that.

A real pro will do what the client specifies.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

said by Draiman:

it's not code so the pros won't do that.

A real pro will do what the client specifies.

They'll gladly do overkill if your willing to pay. Who wouldn't do more if it made them more money? Even McD's is pushing to get you to upgrade from a Medium to a Large. Anything that empties your pocket into theirs!

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Here, they have to put adhesive up as there was a lawsuit against several townhome builders where the ceiling sheetrock collapsed on owners. 'rockers used nails only-no screws.

I've had several nails get popped because of the "truss" floor flex. I got mad a the crappy Sears Shop vac, kicked it and threw it down (anger issue with the *%^^! wheels that won't roll) on bedroom subfloor (before new carpet...pulled out all nails and replaced with deck screws).

Next day, I am looking at living room ceiling and HOLY !!!!
(they only used nails...I went back and put fields of screws 1" off the nail heads, pulled nails out and filled).

When I remodeled the basement, the association contact told me to use adhesive and screws for ceilings. Stuff was cheap (case of liquid nails drywall adhesive big tubes). Since I was below grade, I did green sheets and screws.

Do it right the first time.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

That's the condo association not code. I used adhesive when I put up some drywall ceilings but I did it for sound proofing. You use this green sound proofing adhesive then put it all over the drywall and attach a second piece of drywall.

»www.greengluecompany.com/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

egg crates are better and more pleasing to the eye.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by AVD:

egg crates are better and more pleasing to the eye.

Not to the wife or to resale value though.