Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to bwash

Re: How to lease SB6141?

20/2 is not "wideband" and does not require a docsis 3 modem. You can theoretically put extreme on a D2 modem if you really wanted to (Though it's not recommended). Accounting for overhead, channel bonding (The Docsis 3 feature) isn't a requirement until you start getting over 30 down.

Having a D3 modem will offer a lot of advantages on the turbo (20/2 speed) but again, is not a requirement in any sort of fashion.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

2 edits

said by Fleeced:

20/2 is not "wideband" and does not require a docsis 3 modem.

Wideband is only a word used to describe higher speed tiers because of bonded channels to reach a certain speed. You can have a standard tier with Docsis 3 modem and bonded channels. Bonded channels is not limited to what tier you are in, it's the system that provides the channels and if you have a modem that can use all channels, you are using wideband.

It's for future proofing why TWC is recommending D3 modem specially for subscriber's owned modems. My guess is, TWC will be bumping the turbo speed in the future above what D2 modem is capable of. For renters who wants to stay with D2 can easily exchange their modems when the speed bump happens, it's their choice if they want to wait but I'm pretty sure if you are in turbo renting the D2 modem they can easily exchange to D3 modem.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Fleeced

said by Fleeced:

20/2 is not "wideband" and does not require a docsis 3 modem. You can theoretically put extreme on a D2 modem if you really wanted to (Though it's not recommended). Accounting for overhead, channel bonding (The Docsis 3 feature) isn't a requirement until you start getting over 30 down.

Having a D3 modem will offer a lot of advantages on the turbo (20/2 speed) but again, is not a requirement in any sort of fashion.

You cannot get 20/2 in Hawaii without a visit to your home for the installation and you are required to have a DOCSIS 3 modem. Oceanic said that they had intended originally to offer the Turbo tier with DOCSIS 2 modems but were told by TWC corporate that while TWC would not force them to do it that TWC STRONGLY recommended that Oceanic require DOCSIS 3 modems for Turbo tier so that is the policy they implemented.

I think we are having a semantics problem here. Oceanic is "requiring" a DOCSIS 3 modem if you want 20/2. Maybe technically it is not required but Oceanic IS requiring it after TWC corporate told them they should require it.

So, it IS required here. Oceanic will not provision a DOCSIS 2 modem at 20/2. I told Oceanic that I wanted to keep my SB 5100 because the newer SBs lack the pause button that I love and used every day from 2001 when I first got Road Runner. Oceanic said I had to have a DOCSIS 3 modem.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson