Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Steve

Re: Security risks of security hyper-awareness

said by Wildcatboy:

Does Iphone have a feature like Android, which enables you to lock it and wipe all its data remotely?

I believe there's a remote wipe facility but it would have required setting up in advance — which I'm pretty sure I didn't do — but in any case I had always operated the device assuming I would lose it, and didn't keep anything terribly sensitive on it. Thankfully it was backed up regularly onto my desktop (but not into the cloud). We'll see just how much I get back.

The find-my-iPhone app really does work well, but as I looked into it, it requires another iOS device in order to activate it. I don't own another iOS device, so perhaps I'd not have been able to really jump on this. Maybe there's a web-based way, I don't know. I'll certainly find out with the next one.

I know enough now to be OK with the find-my-iPhone app, but at first I was uncharacteristically humbled by my own dearth of knowledge about the device - I didn't know what I didn't know.

At one point I had texted a friend, who noticed immediately "Oh! You got an iPhone!". Apparently the text message app has a regular text message mode, plus a direct iPhone-to-iPhone mode, and the recipient can tell which is which. I had no idea that this information leaked: I didn't mind, I just didn't know.

Those who have been around here a long time won't count many occasions where I admit humility ("My second best quality is humility, just after awesomeness").
said by sbconslt:

Report the IMEI. Or does that not do anything?

I reported the phone lost to my carrier (Verizon), and I presume they know all the various numbers associated with it. They deactivated that phone and re-activated my old junky dumb phone, as well as having put the iPhone on the "negative list" - they won't activate that phone on their network. They don't share that data with other carriers, but the rep told me that the particular phone only works on their network anyway. I don't know enough to believe that or not.
said by BlitzenZeus:

Apple also has made it to easy to enable thieves of iphones in the past, and I'm not sure if they have changed their policies

said by Apple :

If you have lost or found an Apple product, please contact your local law enforcement agency to report it. Although Apple does not have a process to track or flag lost or stolen product, you can use My Support Profile to find a list of serial numbers that have been purchased or registered with your Apple ID.

Thanks a lot, Apple.

I do have all the paperwork for the phone and will be filing a police report, but at this point I assume the phone is gone and will move on and get a new phone today.

Ugh.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong:
»itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-···648?mt=8

Can't you install this app onto another iOS device to track and/or disable your device after a loss:

"If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID. Find My iPhone will help you locate your missing device on a map, play a sound, display a message, remotely lock your device, or erase all the data on it."

On my Ipad, there is a find my Ipad setting that is ON by default. I didn't think I needed to install an app before a loss.

Edit:
I do see this too now.."Please note that Find My iPhone must be enabled in the iCloud settings on your device for you to locate it with this app."

Sorry Steve, thanks for sharing this with me so I can be mindful of how my security hypervigilance can trip me up. Sounds like you've got your bases covered.