share rss forum feed

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

[IE] IE9 short cuts on desktop now open site in small window.

In the process of fixing a problem with my favorites one of the steps taken set the shortcut on my desktop to open in a small window instead of being maximized as they have been since I bought this computer when Win7 came out.

Any ideas on how to change this?

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

Re: [IE] IE9 short cuts on desktop now open site in small window

It is a bug in Windows that crops up when you start using shortcuts. You can poke your eyes out fixing it with registry keys and configs but nothing really fixes it or fixes it for very long.

Install this program and forget the problem.
»www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/Default.aspx

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to rfhar
One thing you can try (if you have not already) is when you click on a link, and IE opens in a small window, maximize the window, and then close IE.

That may help solve the problem. Again, as SipSizzurp See Profile has said, it is a bug, and it can be a pain to try to fix. My uncle had the same problem, and we just got lucky with doing the whole maximize thing. In his case, he was running Windows XP.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

Yes that is correct.. (It remembers the size it was WHEN YOU CLOSE IT)

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas

1 edit
reply to rfhar

Re: [IE] IE9 short cuts on desktop now open site in small window

Here is the one I have found to do the best job. Mine will still occasionally mess up.

Follow the instructions below exactly and your problem should be solved.
Right click the shortcut icon for IE next to the Start button, choose Properties, change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Now open it.
Now right click any link on the page, choose Open In New Window....don't maximize it....instead, use the mouse to resize it to what you want it to be.
Now close the FIRST window you opened, and then close the new one you just resized.
Reopen IE from the shortcut icon again, and all windows from now on will be the size you chose and created.

Note: If you don't have an IE icon next to the Start button (Quick Launch area) use the shortcut in your Start/Programs/Internet Explorer and follow the instructions above.

I used this just the other day on my daughter's Windows 8 so as far as I know it will work on anything from 98SE to W8.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
I recall seeing those set of instructions before, and I think that is what we did to get my uncle's issues resolved on Windows XP. Again, we tried many different things, and that might have been one of them.

You may have to do it a few times, as this is a bug. But, keep trying and it should take eventually.

--Brian

deke40
Premium
Texas
reply to rfhar
The only thing wrong with the program SS suggested, if I am reading it right, is it will go to full screen mode and not just maximized which takes away your tool bars and such.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
reply to rfhar
Thanks guys. Please have patience with me on this as yesterday and today I have had lots of other problems around here come up and it will be awhile before I get to the computer to try the suggestions.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to deke40
said by deke40:

The only thing wrong with the program SS suggested, if I am reading it right, is it will go to full screen mode and not just maximized which takes away your tool bars and such.

You must have accidentally ticked the box that says "Maximize all new IE windows to full screen mode".

deke40
Premium
Texas
reply to rfhar
I didn't download it, was just looking at the screen shots.

My bad if wrong.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
said by deke40:

My bad if wrong.

If ?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to deke40
What I would like is a registry setting or some kind of application that KEEPS my new IE window sizes at the dimensions I specify along with it's placement on the screen. It holds most of the time after resizing and closing the first window, but it's annoying when it loses those settings. I've seen nothing out there that LOCKS your chosen IE window position.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar
I was busy yesterday, I burned a quarter tank of gas plus helping my son-law getting their desktop working last night but installed SipSizzurp's program. before I went to bed.

This morning I did what Deke40 said to do and it worked!
Marvelous!

By the way, what I am thinking what messed things up was a step in the Internet Options, advanced tab to "reset Internet Explorer to their default condition."

Many thanks to all.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer