Unlocks in one hour for me.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to TigerLord

No idea. Won't have time to play until later tonight.

Plus I'm battling an Anno 2070 addiction.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

I think Krisnatharok went with a KS kit. Will wait on your reviews to see if its worth it.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord

KS kit?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Kickstarter pledge or kit or pack or something.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

said by Jobbie:

Kickstarter pledge or kit or pack or something.

Yeah I backed the game on KS too, for 50$ I think, so I got a deluxe key.

I got in beta but didn't have time to play it

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

Review from IGN gives it a 7.5/10.0:

You’re almost always outnumbered in Strike Suit Zero, but you’re never outgunned. Enemy fighters, frigates and missiles can’t stop the titular Strike Suit’s fury, creating a sense of empowerment unlike any other space combat game. Strike Suit Zero nails the balance between simulation and arcade shooter, creating an excellent combat experience that helps you overlook its more egregious flaws.

In Strike Suit Zero, you play as a disgraced pilot named Adams. While out on a routine mission to prove you’re ready to get your wings again, the evil Colonial forces attack the Earth fleet, destroying all but a few capital ships and star fighters. Now you’re humanity’s last hope, and only through the power of the one-of-a-kind Strike Suit can you hope to take on the Colonial fleet and keep Earth from being destroyed by a new superweapon. Sound familiar? That’s because Strike Suit Zero’s plot lifts a lot from stories you’ve heard a thousand times, but it never manages to develop into anything surprising or meaningful. I never connected or identified with any of the underdeveloped characters, who always feel like tired war movie stereotypes. This is likely due in part to the way the story’s told in brief, in-game cutscenes or through talking heads appearing in your heads-up display. No matter how heavy handed the storytelling got in the final moments, the ending was as insignificant as the narrative beats preceding it.

Strike Suit Zero absolutely nails what’s important, though: the combat. Within moments of launching my first sortie, I was locking onto enemy fighters while managing my speed, maneuvers and weapons in intense dog fights. Strike Suit Zero doesn’t bother making you do especially simulation-like things such as manipulate your shield energy or effect mid-mission repairs on a hyper-realistically damaged craft. It instead strikes an excellent medium between keeping things simple enough to feel immediately capable and giving you just enough to manage to make you feel like a badass when you pull off a tight turn to get a bead on an enemy, deftly avoid a missile with a well-timed EMP blast, or barely save a friendly ship from certain death with the Strike Suit’s crazy-powerful weapons.

The difficulty curve in Strike Suit Zero works because the Strike Suit empowers the hell out of you. The first few levels and a couple in the middle force you to pilot traditional fighters, and here the enemy count is decidedly lower. When it comes to Strike Suit missions, though, be prepared to face a host of foes. Kill enough enemies to charge its energy bar and the Strike Suit temporarily transforms from an agile fighter to a slow-but-ultra-powerful flying mech that rains flurries of gunfire and missiles. Situations that otherwise seem impossible and overwhelming become moments that reward precision and control. Whole wings of fighters that take a lot of work to takedown in the few missions you don’t have the Strike Suit take seconds to turn into space dust. You’re certainly far from invincible when using the Strike Suit, but it makes you powerful enough that engagements where you’re outnumbered 10-to-1 still feel fair.

Despite creating engaging battles, Strike Suit Zero could have benefited from more mission and enemy variety. Every stage basically boils down to either defending a friendly ship, attacking an enemy ship, or a combination of the two. Other games have just as formulaic of an approach to mission design, but they mask it with better storytelling or encounter and level design. Within a few missions of Strike Suit Zero’s campaign you’ve basically seen all there is to see. Combat remains fun throughout, but it’d be great to get more mission and enemy types in future DLC.

Occasionally brutal checkpoints ensure you’ll replay large portions of Strike Suit Zero’s missions, too. On top of that, you can’t currently save mid-mission, and with some of them taking more than thirty minutes it feels like a lot to ask of someone to finish in a single go. If you do decide to jump back into the levels after finishing the campaign, Strike Suit Zero gives plenty of incentives. On top of awarding additional weapons based on your score, each stage has a secondary objective you can complete to unlock permanent upgrades for all of your ships. They’re good enough, and so is the combat, that it’s worth it to pop back into older stages once you’ve really got some skills under your belt.

The Verdict

Strike Suit Zero’s combat isn’t great enough to entirely compensate for its problems, but skill-based space battles sure go a long way. Noticeably repetitious levels and bad storytelling can’t overshadow the awesome feeling of piloting the Strike Suit, and simulation fans and less-hardcore players alike will find plenty to like in Strike Suit Zero.

--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TigerLord

I have three 25% off coupons for this game. First (Premium DSLR members) come, first serve.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

me me and me

thanks

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

2 left

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

"The requested product is not currently available"

Will wait to see if it works.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I emailed the devs, awaiting response.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

Im having a blast, I get a very Freelancer-esque feeling when I play this. It's FreeLancer gameplay with Homeworld style and storytelling.

Best way I can put it!

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Glad that you're enjoying it, TL. Here's to hoping Star Citizen will be as enjoyable, if not more so.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

Im having a blast, I get a very Freelancer-esque feeling when I play this. It's FreeLancer gameplay with Homeworld style and storytelling.

Best way I can put it!

This is all I needed.

Thanks
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I got through the first couple missions last night.

MAN THIS FEELS JUST LIKE X-WING!!!!!!!!!!!

Major nostalgia moments.

Is the code working yet?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I have three 25% off coupons for this game. First (Premium DSLR members) come, first serve.

1x 25% off code left
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Click for full size
If we don't get this to workI think I will get it from Steam it has a 20% there too.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I've emailed and tweeted them asking what is up with the referral link, can't even find a direct link to the store...

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

The good news is that the game is just over 2 GB, so it's an easy download. I even did it from hotel wifi in about an hour.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

KrisN, I bought my copy on Steam at 20% discount so now my code is free for another forum member.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

GOOD NEWS: The devs emailed me back and fixed the link.

I still have three 25% off coupons for this game, available to any DSLR members.

I've only gotten a couple missions in, but it combines the best parts of X-Wing/Tie Fighter with Freespace. If you like the "seat of your pants" flying, you'll love this game, which is halfway between a space sim and an arcade game.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Awesome news more coupons for DSLR people, I downloaded it last night but didn't fire it up. Will try it when I get back next week.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

I need to pick up a good flight stick or gamepad to enjoy this game. Do you all have any recommendations?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

xbox controller

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to TigerLord

I've been really interested in this since they went on kickstarter... but I already have so many games that I think I'll wait for a bit.

Maybe I'll pick it up later on... but I really need to continue going through my game list at least once for now, and to make things worse, Steam just keeps adding more games on sale that are on my wishlist. :\

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

Game is average at best

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

The game costs $15-$16, from the reviews I've seen is well worth the price.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TigerLord

I'll grab this on the Steam sale when it's $4.99

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
Canada

said by Ghastlyone:

I'll grab this on the Steam sale when it's $4.99

That how's much it's worth right now imho. I pauid 50$ for it. I was happy to support the return of the space sim genre on KS and Strike Suit Zero was one of the first KS project in that regard.

But it's too repetitive.