DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Re: What Specialization Would You Choose Now?

Well when I was right out of high school I could have had a pell grant fully cover college, but part way through I was deemed to make to much to qualify.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

It is extremely difficult to just make blanket statements that has one-size-fits-all. You have to take into consideration that the person you're giving advice to has to be motivated enough to actually get themselves in the field.

I think some people forget that most important part. Many people don't even want to put in the effort to get to where we are.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Exodus:

It is extremely difficult to just make blanket statements that has one-size-fits-all. You have to take into consideration that the person you're giving advice to has to be motivated enough to actually get themselves in the field.

I think some people forget that most important part. Many people don't even want to put in the effort to get to where we are.

You are 100% correct on this statement for sure.

As for college, there is nothing wrong with it. I worked my way through college and graduated with 2k in student loan debt. That took 2 years of working as a Resident Advisor in the residence halls where I could get free room and board for doing the job. Then 2 internships on top of that in the summers. Then a part time job where I would work 20 hours a week in the computer labs. With the RA job that took me to about 40 hours a week and I was going to school full time as well.

College was much more affordable back then. Today, there are many junior level colleges that are much more affordable and many offer scholarships. If I couldn't make it like I did before, I would have went to work full time and found an employer who would pay for my schooling.

The college degree really is a major factor in earning potential. I would never skip out on it.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Not everyone is graduating with 2k in student loan debt. 2k is nothing. There are a swarm of people who are graduating with 6-figure student loan debt. The mass protests of the "1%" stuff demonstrated that.

There's nothing wrong with college if you can keep it from crushing you in debt. We've had the college conversations before, but even without a college degree, there's nothing stopping an individual from achieving an IT position that doesn't eventually lead into a six-figure income.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Exodus:

Not everyone is graduating with 2k in student loan debt. 2k is nothing. There are a swarm of people who are graduating with 6-figure student loan debt. The mass protests of the "1%" stuff demonstrated that.

There's nothing wrong with college if you can keep it from crushing you in debt. We've had the college conversations before, but even without a college degree, there's nothing stopping an individual from achieving an IT position that doesn't eventually lead into a six-figure income.

The big difference was that I graduated in 1997, and I also chose a major that I could do something with when I got out.

Also, there are many universities out there that you can go to school at and not get even 50k of student loan debt. Many people say 6 figures because that was what was thrown around on TV during those protests.

»www.usnews.com/education ··· colleges

Yup, you and I have had these conversations before, and I agree that there is no one stopping an individual from achieving an IT position. The issue is that the "6 figure income" you talk about is much much harder to achieve without the degree than with one. Achievable without a degree though? Yes, but the road is not easy.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I'll be hitting you up for information when my kids reach an age to prep for college.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Exodus:

I'll be hitting you up for information when my kids reach an age to prep for college.

Your kids are what, about 14 years from college? By then I will be 54 and an old grumpy man. You won't want my advice by then.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

My oldest is 11.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23