corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather

Re: CRA no longer mailing out returns?

They're not mailing them out automatically, but you can still request to have one mailed to you by filling out the form here:

»www.cra-arc.gc.ca/orderforms/

or by calling 1-800-959-8281.

They'll also still be available to pickup at Service Canada offices, Canada Post outlets, and your MP's constituency office, as always.

1.3 Million paper returns were mailed out last year to taxfilers who didn't end up filing by paper. It's a huge waste of money and resources to send them out to people who won't use them.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Service Canada officescsre being shut down, also under the money saving guise.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Service Canada officescsre being shut down, also under the money saving guise.

It is not actually saving money, it will just be spent elsewhere
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

1.3 Million paper returns were mailed out last year to taxfilers who didn't end up filing by paper. It's a huge waste of money and resources to send them out to people who won't use them.

So CRA mailed out paper returns to everyone? That's pretty dumb. At least limit mailings to those who filed paper returns the year before.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

said by corster:

So CRA mailed out paper returns to everyone? That's pretty dumb. At least limit mailings to those who filed paper returns the year before.

There were actually three different mailings that went out last year, if I recall correctly:

Full T1 package - if you filed using the CRA's paper forms or Telefile, or your previous filing method was not on record, you got this.

Name and Address Sticker - if you filed a paper return prepared by software (i.e. printed it out yourself and mailed it), you got this.

Netfile access code - if you Netfiled the year before, you got this.

This year, they've eliminated the Netfile access codes altogether, and I suppose the cost of the Name and Address stickers wasn't worth it given that people can just write them in anyways.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to mr weather

Anon

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

said by corster:

No CRA did not mail out returns to everyone. I've been netfiling for the last 15 years and I haven't received anything more in the mail than a slip of paper with my netfile PIN in all that time. What it means is 1.3 million people who paper filed the previous year decided to netfile last year.

And now after receiving that letter telling me that from now on Netfile will no longer use a PIN and instead use my SIN and DOB there will not even be so much as a letter being posted my way in the future.

I gotta hand it to them. They are doing a great job of cutting costs on this now.

BTW, how much advance notice did you expect to receive about this year's changes? Taxes aren't due til April 30th. Chances are you'll still probably receive a letter sometime this month informing you of the changes if you weren't already clued in by the article.

And honestly, why fuss about it at all. They still accept paper returns. They simply shifted the model to an on demand basis since paper filings have skewed to the minority now.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by lugnut :

BTW, how much advance notice did you expect to receive about this year's changes? Taxes aren't due til April 30th. Chances are you'll still probably receive a letter sometime this month informing you of the changes if you weren't already clued in by the article.

The article was the first I had heard about CRA doing away with mailing out paper returns.

And as far as getting notice, for the last couple of years both my wife and I got our T1 packages in the first week of January. This year we're almost at the end of the month and nothing has shown up yet. Hence my inquiry.