spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lethalsniper

join:2010-10-01
North York, ON

Which router to buy for best online gaming?

Which router to buy for best online gaming? there are 2 xbox360 in my home i would need a pritty good router so we can both have a open NAT. i,m with rogers high speed. with a 30/3 speed.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

You are going to get a lot of opinions on what the "Best" is. There are budget routers that work just as well as expensive ones. I love the ASUS RT-N66U router. Its not cheap, but it is fast, reliable, and works flawlessly.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to lethalsniper

After reading some articles, what I find is that it ends up having to do with how many concurrent connections the router can handle, whether wirelessly or wired as well, and this of course depends on how your system (PC, et al) will connect to the router.

Many home routers might tout some impressive specs, but are simply not made to handle more than a few devices regularly using it. The 'busier' the house is, the more loaded the router will be, and if it starts overheating, the overall connection would start getting flaky as a result, or you end up having to reboot constantly. That's why some have mentioned modifying their routers to solder in additional fans, and overclocking their chips to better handle the increased workload. If you do solder in cooling, it's also in your interest to ensure that you find a compatible power supply/plug to feed it the added juice needed to keep it running.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to lethalsniper

Isn't a WRT54G with DD-WRT still the best value out there?
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

You are going to get a lot of opinions on what the "Best" is. There are budget routers that work just as well as expensive ones. I love the ASUS RT-N66U router. Its not cheap, but it is fast, reliable, and works flawlessly.

Piggybacking off of Nightfall's comment I bought an ASUS RT-AC66U to replace what I thought was a crappy D-Link product. The ASUS is a workhorse and has zero issues with Xbox Live, PSN etc.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

1 recommendation

reply to lethalsniper

Another vote for the ASUS RT-N66U. 2 Xboxes, 4 computers, 2 phones, 2 tablets, and a Roku... plus whatever else I bring home to play with. 50/5 wideband connection from Timewarner... zero issues.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
reply to lethalsniper

Less popular and probably not available anymore : Netgrear WNR3500 with DD-WRT.

Mine as been stable for months and performances are always good.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lethalsniper

said by lethalsniper:

Which router to buy for best online gaming? there are 2 xbox360 in my home i would need a pritty good router so we can both have a open NAT. i,m with rogers high speed. with a 30/3 speed.

Don't fall for those "gaming" routers. It's just marketing rubbish. I'd suggest a quality, name brand router that supports the wireless a/b/g/n specifications. At the moment, there is no need for the new 802.11 AC since there are very devices that can take advantage of it and its suppose to be updated w/new revision coming soon that's much faster than it's current iteration.

Heres a good checklist for deciding on a good router for gaming systems:
- 4 or more Wired Gigabit Ethernet ports(*1)
- Wireless N (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- BOTH Wireless AND wired LAN connections
- One with some form of traffic shaping or QoS (Quality-of-Service)(*2)
- Dual-Band support for 2.4GHz & 5GHz(*3)

Some good brands are Cisco, Netgear, Linksys, and Buffalo makes some very high quality routers as well.

If you follow that checklist, you should be very happy with any router you decide to choose.

*1 For gaming, you want a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. This is because you can wire a gaming console or desktop to one of the Gigabit LAN ports and take advantage of the 1,000Mbps+ speed. While wiring your gaming console to your router won't increase the speed of your Internet connection (that is a fixed speed from your ISP) I find downloading additional gaming content and accessing a gaming platform like Windows Xbox's Live more reliable and peppier with the console hard-wired to my router than when I'm connected via a wireless connection. You just don't have to deal with the added latency and interference of a wireless signal.

*2 QoS or rather Quality-of-Service is a feature that can prioritize the type of network traffic you specify such as gaming traffic. This means that gaming traffic will be allocated the most bandwidth over other types of traffic on the network.

*3 Dual-band routers are a must for gamers who have networks with multiple devices accessing the Internet connection at one time and who want to play wirelessly. With a dual-band router, reserve the 5GHz band for devices used for wireless gaming. Devices and computers that do nothing more than surf the Internet or check email can connect at 2.4 GHz.

GreyArea

join:2013-01-07
Anchorage, AK
reply to lethalsniper

Linksys and Netgear routers are the two I'd recommend, you can't go wrong with them. The higher end (and more expensive) routers will, of course, generally give you better speeds and signals, but a mid range wireless N will be fine for most (if not all) gaming.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to lethalsniper

Considering the info that is at »Exploring DIY Linux Router Distros - I don't recommend getting a boxed router.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

said by aefstoggaflm:

Considering the info that is at »Exploring DIY Linux Router Distros - I don't recommend getting a boxed router.

Thats a good link with some good information. At the same time though, to not recommend getting a boxed router is blowing things out of proportion. Both ways work very well. There are potential issues each solution brings to the table. There are also advantages to both sides as well.

The point is, as broadband techies who pride ourselves on being more knowledgeable, we should be able to look at two solutions and comfortably say that both solutions will work. Maybe one works better in the OP's situation because of a couple factors, but we shouldn't be afraid to look at both solutions as workable.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
reply to lethalsniper

I use the Asus RT-AC66R with no issues at all.

CBLMorphis

join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA
reply to lethalsniper

I have the NETGEAR DGND3700v2 does everything I need it to do, with firewall protection and then some. Both wireless/wired.
--
Like My DSL!!!

Expand your moderator at work

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Comcast
reply to lethalsniper

Re: Which router to buy for best online gaming?

I use the RT-AC66R and have no issues at all with online gaming. I like the router. Upgraded to it from my DLink DGL-4500 about a month ago. I like how you can set the signal power levels to boost the signal.
--
Affordable Web-Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Ventrilo, & Teamspeak services since 1999 @ »www.deadlyservers.com

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

said by Defiance82:

I use the RT-AC66R and have no issues at all with online gaming. I like the router. Upgraded to it from my DLink DGL-4500 about a month ago. I like how you can set the signal power levels to boost the signal.

How do you like that Dlink that you upgraded from? I bought one a while ago but have yet to hook it up. If it's nothing amazing I'll hold off on taking it with me when I move out.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.