spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

knitsta

@comcast.net

My modem, Comcast wants to "stamp" it?

I gave back my Comcast modem and replaced it with my own back in November 2012. Comcast now "highly recommends" that I take my modem in to the local Comcast store to have it "stamped". The reason they cite is so that updates can be posted to it. But I've already registered the modem with Comcast online and have been receiving internet just fine for two months. Is this a scam to harvest more data? Is is necessary?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
What do they mean by 'stamped'? How were you contacted?

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
reply to knitsta
said by knitsta :

I gave back my Comcast modem and replaced it with my own back in November 2012. Comcast now "highly recommends" that I take my modem in to the local Comcast store to have it "stamped". The reason they cite is so that updates can be posted to it. But I've already registered the modem with Comcast online and have been receiving internet just fine for two months. Is this a scam to harvest more data? Is is necessary?

sounds highly suspicious. buying and activating your own [legit] modem on comcast's network effectively gives them full control over it anyways. once activated you're running comcast's firmware and they can update it or block it or do whatever they wan't.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to knitsta
said by knitsta :

It is total BS. Comcast already will automatically upload their preferred firmware (and certainly their config files) to any activated modem that is physically connected to their network. The only reason for a "stamp" (whatever that means) on your personally owned equipment, would be to identify it as such so that the Comcast goons who come to pickup Comcast property if you stop paying your bill, might not also take your personally owned modem.

What it really sounds like to me is a way for Comcast to put their own ownership "stamp" on your personally owned equipment; but I can't imagine even Comcast being that openly greedy. This is especially so since all they have to do (and have done so many times) is to just claim that it is their modem, and you then have to present irrefutable proof that it is actually your modem.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Knitsta

@comcast.net
reply to bradyr
Thanks for all the great replies. Yes, I thought it sounded suspicious. This all started when I called to cancel the $7/mo fee they were still charging me for the rental of the old modem. The nice but hard to understand customer service person (obviously the call center is in another country - harrumph!) insisted that I needed to physically take the box in to the store for this "stamp". So, to answer your question, I wasn't contacted by Comcast. Still. Odd. My guess is that I've become a deadbeat to Comcast because I gave up cable tv, only have internet service now.
Anyway, thanks again for your responses!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Knitsta :

Thanks for all the great replies. Yes, I thought it sounded suspicious. This all started when I called to cancel the $7/mo fee they were still charging me for the rental of the old modem. The nice but hard to understand customer service person (obviously the call center is in another country - harrumph!) insisted that I needed to physically take the box in to the store for this "stamp". So, to answer your question, I wasn't contacted by Comcast. Still. Odd. My guess is that I've become a deadbeat to Comcast because I gave up cable tv, only have internet service now.
Anyway, thanks again for your responses!

Perhaps this non-native English speaker was actually trying to tell you that you needed to return the rental modem to the Comcast office and get a receipt for the return?

You definitely need to get a receipt for the returned modem, or Comcast might still try to charge you for that modem should you terminate your Comcast HSI account.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Knitsta

@comcast.net
I have the receipt! Thank goodness for that! I don't think the customer service person meant that I needed to return the original Comcast equipment for stamp. Who knows?

Thanks again