Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

How to get Google to stop calling?

So I setup a Google Places account.

Now I'm being called with an automatic number from Google twice a day to update my listing. My listing is up to date.

Recently live people are calling me and trying to up sell about three times a day. So Google calls me about 5 times a day every day for about three weeks even though I keep telling the people politely no. The last girl who called I hope I brought to tears.

I could give less than a shit about this company right now. I am transitioning domain hosts and completely eradicating them my from existence.

Is my only move to lawyer up? It is a significant disruption of my daily tasks.

Thanks.
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn

Hi Mike, I am surprised that they would do that. Are you sure it is them? I also have a google places account and they have never called except sending me a letter with the a code to activate my listing.

I would say, try to get to the bottom of this without getting rid of them because you may get a lot of business through listings.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

All of my stuff is on a referral basis. The information is there for the general public info.

I have googled this exact same phrase and there is an entire legion of people (with incomplete solutions) who have this problem as well.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I recently setup a Google Places well. Within a few weeks, a guy from "Google" kept calling (sometimes 3x/day) and was up-selling me something. (I never picked up, I never spoke to him--he just keeps calling back. Sometimes, he's really aggressive - almost angry - that I'm not there.)

I did some research on the number, and it is likely not Google itself. I don't know what number called you but for me it was (800) 826-9988. Not sure how to get them to stop, but the theat of a lawyer should work.

»www.ppcassociates.com/bl ··· ry-tale/
iLearn
canada

iLearn to Mike

to Mike
You can try this to stop them from calling you.

When they call you next time, be polite, greet them ask them how they are doing and then ask for their fax #. If you get upset, they might not give you their fax #.

So get their fax # and send them a cease and desist letter. TELL them in the letter to not to call you at your # anymore, fax them and keep the fax confirmation for your reference. By law, they have to stop calling you when you give them this notice in writing.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Rather my attorney go full crazy on them. That can be used against me as a threat by me in US law, I think.
iLearn
canada

iLearn

You dont get into trouble for giving someone a cease and desist letter. You are not threatening anyone, you are simply telling whoever is calling YOU to stop - in writing. I have done it a few times back when I used to live in the States.

I have also worked for a third party collection agency and when we get such a notice from a customer we had to immediately take that account off the list

Anyways, things might have changed so please do what you think is right after doing your research.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

US law depends on how good your lawyers are.

I am not. Therefore I could probably screw something up.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

1 recommendation

TherapyChick to Mike

to Mike
Google only calls with an automated PIN number when you first setup. If you are getting calls from a real person it is not Google, I would bet a lot of money on that. There are tons of SEO companies who want to sell you upgrades to try to get higher rankings on search results and such. Most don't work, and those who call you for this work even less.
OriginalDrM
join:2003-05-08
Pompano Beach, FL

OriginalDrM

According to my searching around, the calls aren't calling FROM Google so much as advertisers that are trying to sell you their service to bump your hit to the top of search results.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Mike

to Mike
I Agree, it is most likely not even Google calling, sounds like scammers.

Not sure lawyers can do much against scammers... you might report the caller id's to google (although the good scammers fake their caller id).

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Nuke em from orbit.. its the only way to be sure...

heh sorry... but good luck in yer quest. we get 10-20 shit calls per day at the office, no way to block em on the business number..

-j
Expand your moderator at work