spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

[HD] Local ads cutting off programing is not a FiOS issue?

I've been in contact with FiOS support via Twitter and their latest response to the issue of extra local cable ads pre-empting the channels programming is that it's not their problem and I need to contact the network.

"Unfortunately, we are not responsible for the advertisements via the local business, it goes through the broadcasting network. ^SAG-SA"

This can't be right, since it's happening on multiple channels it can't simple be an issue of the network not correctly sending the command to turn the local ads off.

It happens on ESPN HD and is happening on FNC HD and I'm sure it's happening with other channels.

Can anyone at FiOS help us out here?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by icemannyr1:

I've been in contact with FiOS support via Twitter and their latest response to the issue of extra local cable ads pre-empting the channels programming is that it's not their problem and I need to contact the network.

"Unfortunately, we are not responsible for the advertisements via the local business, it goes through the broadcasting network. ^SAG-SA"

This can't be right, since it's happening on multiple channels it can't simple be an issue of the network not correctly sending the command to turn the local ads off.

It happens on ESPN HD and is happening on FNC HD and I'm sure it's happening with other channels.

Can anyone at FiOS help us out here?

This is a peer-to-peer forum. You might want to post your issue on the Verizon Direct forum.

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to icemannyr1
FIOS has been having commercial insertion issues for a while. Either the support person didn't understand the issue or was being less than truthful, both of which have been issues with FIOS support in the past.

Were I one of the local advertisers, I'd be kind of annoyed...but they may not know. Instead contacting Verizon (since it didn't much help), I'd suggest calling the car dealer or other local advertiser and complaining about how their ads are preventing you from watching your TV shows and that you;d find it very difficult to shop with them if this is how they treat customers.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

icemannyr1

I'll try the direct forum and let you know what they say.
It also effects the DVR. Sometimes if you skip backwards or forwards and go from the channels programming to the local ads it stops playback and you have to start from the beginning.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

2 edits
reply to icemannyr1
Local ad-inserts are usually handled by the Media Sales division of a company or a 3rd party Media Sales company depending on who dominates the local DMA.

So I'd recommend finding out which company runs the local FIOS ad-inserts for the Washington, NJ area DMA and contact them directly.

The Cable Advertising Bureau site shows it's part of the NY DMA served by the NY Interconnect:
»www.thecab.tv/php/cablesysdirect···2&OID=NJ
The NY DMA Interconnect site indicates it's served by Comcast Spotlight
»nyinterconnect.ito-y.net/zip-cod···-jersey/
Comcast Spotlight site for Skylands NJ ad zone which seems to cover Washington, NJ:
»www.comcastspotlight.com/markets···lands-nj

Realize the Comcast Spotlight is different then Comcast the cable service provider. Contacting Comcast won't get you anywhere, it's the Media Sales division which Comcast Spotlight you're after.

Usually their Ad Sales execs like to know their ads are being played improperly:
»www.comcastspotlight.com/contact-form
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

icemannyr1

Thanks I believe it's Viamedia who does the local ad sales for FiOS.
»cms.viamediatv.com/tabid/176/default.aspx

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
Could be. It's difficult to tell sometimes.

Comcast Spotlight has done ad sales for FIOS before though:
»www.comcastspotlight.com/news/pr···-markets

Then again there is this:
»cms.viamediatv.com/tabid/202/default.aspx

HUBadubBUB

join:2009-11-19
reply to icemannyr1
I work in one of the hubs. I will forward this to our ad insertion team. Thanks.

icemannyr1

The response from the direct forum was to try and get back to the support people on Twitter. Fios Support on Twitter already told me it's the channel's problem and not FiOS.

Extra local cable ads are still pre-empting programming on cable channels and the local ads still cause DVR recordings to stop and go back to the beginning when you try to resume the program.