join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: Ah, the good ol days

quote:
And Gamestop, your days are numbered...

Not for awhile, and gamestop is trying to evolve.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Gamestop is in an interesting position where its the industry trying to kill them not the customers. Customer love used games, the industry not so much.

Games just happen to be in a position that music and movies are not, They can lock their content down by making people register a CD key to access online content.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Gamestop is in an interesting position where its the industry trying to kill them not the customers. Customer love used games, the industry not so much.

Games just happen to be in a position that music and movies are not, They can lock their content down by making people register a CD key to access online content.

Agreed, hence why gamestop is trying to evolve. Currently they sell a selection of tablet devices as well.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

said by Kearnstd:

Agreed, hence why gamestop is trying to evolve. Currently they sell a selection of tablet devices as well.

I think GameStop's problem is they are over saturated in terms of locations. A few years ago, there was two GameStops at the Enfield Square Mall in Enfield, CT and the closed one of them. They also have one right across the street from Eastfield Mall (which also has a GameStop inside the mall) in Springfield, MA. They're basically like CVS where there is one on every block. In my opinion, I think GameStop will see the need to downsize considering that Walmart, Target, and Best Buy also sell the major consoles and associated games. I personally prefer to buy my games at Best Buy (I got my first Nintendo there in 1993 and I just bought a Wii U there at Best Buy as well). When I get paid, I am going to Best Buy to pick up Super Mario Bros U. I have so many games for my Nintendo systems that they are scattered throughout the living room as there is limited space on the entertainment center.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Snakeoil:

said by Kearnstd:

I think GameStop's problem is they are over saturated in terms of locations. A few years ago, there was two GameStops at the Enfield Square Mall in Enfield, CT and the closed one of them. They also have one right across the street from Eastfield Mall (which also has a GameStop inside the mall) in Springfield, MA. They're basically like CVS where there is one on every block. In my opinion, I think GameStop will see the need to downsize considering that Walmart, Target, and Best Buy also sell the major consoles and associated games. I personally prefer to buy my games at Best Buy (I got my first Nintendo there in 1993 and I just bought a Wii U there at Best Buy as well). When I get paid, I am going to Best Buy to pick up Super Mario Bros U. I have so many games for my Nintendo systems that they are scattered throughout the living room as there is limited space on the entertainment center.

I tend to avoid purchasing new games. I either rent them from Dish/blockbuster [though if they kill that, then I'll hop on over to gamefly].
Or I buy them used. I've been burned a tad to often when buying a 60 dollar game. Either the game play is only 8 hours [I am not a fan of something like COD black ops 2 multiplayer], or they only showed you the "wow' parts of the game when advertising it. So renting/buying used is for me, plus I'm on a tight budget.
Gamestop is the only game in town for used games, next to a pawn shop or a second hand bookstore [which will also be hurting in a while].
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by Snakeoil:

said by Kearnstd:

I think this is a result of their assimilation habits. Gamestop bought up the entire game retailing industry that was not a big box store. So the really big malls(ie Danbury Fair, which is the biggest in New England.) had Electronics Boutique, Babbages. so that became 2 gamestops.

And I just did a check on Gamestop.com of where I grew up (zip 06810). 7 GS stores in a 12mi radius 4 of them in the same city, 2 in the same mall.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

FWIW, my feelings aren't vindictive. Gamestop has a niche. The problem is, like anyone that has "considerable" control over used content is likely to miss the bigger picture:
-Game companies consolidating
-Game studios wanting more profits
-Games moving to more direct download...as the bandwidth growths, the ability to download an entire game is there (now).
-used content isn't at fair price (trade in for $5 off purchase of newer. Used title at $15-$20 ... 4x the trade in...very profitable)
-used content lacks features that were with title when new (Booklets, foldouts, exclusives, codes, DLC, maps, etc).
-media is dying (CDrom-DVD-BluRay) will end. Just like cartridges did.
Sources like Gamefly provide rentals that allow you to try, keep-buy.

Game studios are now doing micro-transactions (Sure MMOrpgs were doing it already, but not as mainstream as the consoles are pushing...central entertainment for games, shows, premiere movies, add-ons...).

Gamestop is (likely?) paying Microsoft Studios, EA, 2K, etc, to get placements for "exclusives" that will draw in traffic to the stores.
Me, I just sell used games on eBay, Craigslist, Amazon. I fetch $10-$30 for a title that (I verified with local Gamestop) they'd give me $5-$10 credit for. (You can argue that eBay takes a chunk, plus hassle to pack, ship and not have buyer eff the sale). Or trade into Amazon (better deal, warranties offered). How many have gotten media that was cracked at the hub? Or unreadable? Did you have luck getting replaced at store or online? Have to go to distributor?

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Your right I don't think gamestop is going anywhere for awhile.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
Danbury Fair is the largest mall in NE? I thought it was the Westfield in Milford?
« RIPseriously »
This is a sub-selection from Ah, the good ol days