share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Adalicia

Re: [Lore] I've never read ANY lore...where EXACTLY should I sta

Exactly who I was hoping would answer...I seriously almost pm'ed you this, but chose instead to ask everyone.

I'm going to buy 1 book on itunes right now and I'm trying to decide where to start. 1 because who knows if I'll even like fantasy -- I don't think I've ever even read any books in the genre outside of The Hobbit when I was in high school.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
War of the Ancients should be your one book. I'd jump from there to "The Shattering" and on to "Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War". That will get you fully covered in the macro story of WoW.

There are lots of older books that let you dig into the history of Grim Batol, Malfurion, Illidan, Arthas, Deathwing, Varian Wrynn... but you'd have to be interested in those to enjoy them... and they don't necessarily need to be read in order.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
I would recommend Arthas, I just love this period in WoW.....others are good but this one strikes a chord with me.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:13
reply to McBrain
Blizzard uses a handful of authors, the two most note worthy and frequently used being Golden and Knaak. A lot of people dislike Richard Knaak because of his style and propensity to add his own Mary Sue characters to his works, more than a couple becoming canonical characters (and bad ones at that), and because he generally writes major lore characters poorly. Golden on the other hand is some untouchable goddess when it comes to the books, and probably with good reason. Unlike Knaak she is capable of writing strong female characters, has an overall enjoyable flow to her prose, and does an exceptional job of properly representing lore characters are they should be. I prefer Golden over Knaak but I don't absolutely abhor him. If you want a good introductory book, as many have said, Arthas is a great starting point. Its relatively short, deals with probably the biggest lore character in the WoW universe, has all the standard tropes of a tragic hero, and is ultimately just well written.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.