Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym

Premium Member

$50 million better spent

*On doing away with SDV.
*Fixing their POS DVR's
*Upping the bitrate so the picture quality is better
*Fixing their web sites so they run faster and are able to schedule recordings quicker.
*Not having 19 versions on 23 different channels of the same channel.

I'm sure I can think of more.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

SDV is great as far as what I have experienced. What dont you like about it?

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by swintec:

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

"Channel is currently unavailable"

A - Try Again

That doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, but it still happens. Signal problems can cause this as well.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by j1349705:

said by swintec:

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

"Channel is currently unavailable"

A - Try Again

That doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, but it still happens. Signal problems can cause this as well.

Are you sure that is not solely a signal problem? I got that before (when SDV was first implemented here) on some channels and once we did some re-wiring and splitter reconfigurations things worked beautiful ever since.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by swintec:

Are you sure that is not solely a signal problem? I got that before (when SDV was first implemented here) on some channels and once we did some re-wiring and splitter reconfigurations things worked beautiful ever since.

It can be either signal or SDV related.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to swintec

to swintec
Could be a SDV capacity issue or signal issue or even a code malfunction in Navigator. iGuide has a bug where you lose SDV server connectivity and sometimes have to reboot the box to get it going again. I know various areas use different number of SDV QAMs the most I have seen used in any division is 24 which the North Texas (Dallas metro) system has set aside for SDV. When SDV was first deployed we had 8 SDV QAMs during the launch period where they were only switching 24 HD channels to get the system running and then it went to 11 SDV QAMs while the system was having the QAMs rearranged to make room for 16 total SDV QAMs and then on the final push another group of HD 3:1 QAMs were moved to SDV and then we went to 16 SDV QAMs and they started adding more channels at first none of the SD digital channels were moved over to SDV and for a while the only SD SDV channels we had were new adds and then in 2011 TWC did another reconfiguration where they moved a ton of SD channels to SDV and freed up 12 or QAMs for SDV and eventually VOD got another 4 QAMs out of this change as well so the North Texas TWC system is loaded:
24 SDV QAMs
8 VOD QAMs
6 DOCSIS downstreams

thanks to a 860MHz rebuild that was done from 2006-2008
AlfredNewman6
join:2010-03-25
Columbus, OH

AlfredNewman6 to j1349705

to j1349705
I had the same issue recently even after they added a signal booster. Turns out what had happened is the box wasn't pulling down the correct information from TWC servers so the tech hooked it up to his laptop, did something, and everything started working perfectly.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
SDV adds capacity. Theoretically, if they nodes are small enough, it could support an unlimited channel lineup, as there is a fraction of a QAM for each simultaneous user (and half of them are watching a network anyways).

I wish Comcast would run SDV with small nodes and go back to 2:1 HD and add every HD channel possible. I wouldn't mind an extra little box for all of that.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to j1349705

to j1349705
Nobody knows how to service it, and the monster Cisco box take up 15 Watts of power, almost 3x what my HDHR does. I looked at the circuit board, and it looks like a barely 5 layer circa 2004 tech.

When I had my install performed, they didn't even show w/ the CC, and then once they did the "forgot" about the SDV box. Long story short I wasted many hours of my time and they never got it working.

In my region (Buffalo) ALL HD channels are on SDV except for broadcast.

So I was thinking about going back, and just getting broadcast (so no SDV) ($50/month) versus the $115 I'm paying for FIOS now (2 play). Granted it's 20/2 versus the 25/25 I have today.

Verizon will do just broadcast at $17/month, however once you factor in the internet it's almost $100, 2x of TWC cost. They are simply not in that business....

I really can't justify the extra $65 a month for the 3-4 hours of non-broadcast we watch a month. Put plainly, we just don't really watch much TV in the house, it's all internet or Netflix/Amazon. I don't have a problem paying $30 to watch a new show I like if it's on cable....
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112 to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
Agreed, thats a great list to start. Ive been with TWC for two months after movng out of a FIOS market. OMG Ive been so spoiled by FIOS, it works, its fast and their staff actually tries instead of blaming others. My other option was U-verse but they dont support TiVo so that tells me their infrastructure must be even more screwed up.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

TiVo only supports cable. U-Verse is IPTV, not cable. FIOS is cable.