join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to neochu

Re: [Rant] Phone scamming bastards now calling when people sleep

said by rodjames:

If you have a cellular phone, there are a bunch of good Blacklist/Whitelist apps. I use Blacklist Pro for Android, works great on keeping pesky calls/txt/voicemails off my phone.

My cell phone's fine and mine is configured to automatically sleep when I'm sleeping so no one can get through.

I can't really disable the land line at night as I could easily get an emergency call concerning a family member or an emergency request for work.

Right now it's just the one time so it's not something I'm really going to do anything about, other than rant

said by neochu:

Sounds to me like its the same Pakistani centre that was mentioned in the previous thread.

The woman that called me wasn't Pakistani. Could be Indian, I don't speak Hindi and their country is large enough to have all manner of accents...

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
you know parts of Northern India and Pakistan are of the same ethnic groups right?

And unless you for whatever reason are able to tell between a Northern Indian accent vs a Southern Indian accent there is a chance it could be...

said by urbanriot:

said by lugnut :

I also have call screen with Bell so nobody can get thru unless they release their number so that eliminates the "unknown numbers."

It's too bad they're spoofing this number of showing their number but that's still a good idea regardless!

Sadly call blocking is a cat and mouse game because its like malware. Better to follow the white-list and only accept calls from numbers you are expecting or can recognize with call display.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by neochu:

you know parts of Northern India and Pakistan are of the same ethnic groups right?

She didn't respond to me in punjab so I'm guessing that's not the case here and most of the Indian call centers are in / around Delhi or Maharashtra. I'm assuming the scammers are in the same locations as the legitimate call centers but if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know!

It's become an enjoyable past time of mine to determine the location of scam callers. Concerning language, the trick is to learn words that are identifiably different from other languages yet similar enough along all dialects of the same language. Insults are hard since they're usually more regional.

The most aggressive, hostile one I've encountered was in the Philippines.

neochu

Windsor, ON
LOL they actually were talking to you in another language?

That's different then broken english for sure where you can tell by word expressions, tones, inferences, and other things as to where the call is located from.

The call centre industry is the call centre industry no matter what country it is in. Its all about the contract as to who is legitimate or not and what the operator is willing to do...

The big names in BPO will tend to turn down contracts (for standardization) that break the laws in the country of service so its always going to be a small independent operator who thumbs their noses at said country's laws.

Larger corporations will also shy away from companies that may house illicit programs (if its found out of course)

This isn't to say their all alike of course as anyone with an autodialer and a computer can be caught doing things like this. Those are easy to find though and its usually the rouge centres that do the majority of calls.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by neochu:

LOL they actually were talking to you in another language?

It depends on who you get, the well spoken saucy English sounding gentlemen are professional enough that you'll never get them to stray from their act. He's Steve from Microsoft and he's sticking to it. "Oh, you want to speak to my supervisor?" "This is Jim, how may I help you?" Fuck.

But the other ones, when you lead them down a virtualized hell hole of remote activities, you'll get them to jibber jabber to whoever's near them or I game them by throwing some words out there in various language to see if I get a bite.

I always kick myself after the call, cause I always forget to record them...

neochu

Windsor, ON
Sounds like quite the entertainment. Though not at 3am at least.