Search similar:

uniqs

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

Move over mouse, Windows 8 shines with a simple touch

If you haven't tried Win8 with a touch screen or a touch pad, you may want to.

But, there is just no rush to upgrade your desktop to win8 if your stuck using a mouse. And it's a bare market for touch input devices. None of the retailers in my area have a live demo setup on display using a touch device other than touch screen. Even the non-touch win8 desktops are setup on display using a ball mouse. Lame.

Maybe retailers are trying to sell consumers a new laptop, tablet or all in one with a touch screen? Maybe they don't want me to know I can just add a touch device to my old pc, upgrade my software, and get the full win8 touch experience for a fraction of the cost?

If MS would just bundle a touch pad with the software and market it as such, I think users would adopt the upgrade much faster. They could have just made it $99 at launch, including the touch pad.

I liked using Win8 on a touch screen at my local retailer; so now I want a touch input device for my desktop.

»www.microsoft.com/hardwa ··· KJ-00001
»www.logitech.com/en-us/p ··· rid=1153
»www.wacom.com/products/p ··· -capture

What other options are there, other than a touch screen? Which do you prefer?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Click for full size
said by SysOp:

What other options are there, other than a touch screen? Which do you prefer?

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to SysOp

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

What other options are there, other than a touch screen?

»leapmotion.com/product

Haven't tried it, but it sure seems neat. It's multitouch, but without the touching part, so no fingerprints on the screen. I mostly like the idea because I usually sit much too far away from my monitors to reach them, and usually sit with a keyboard on my lap, no desk, so this would be nice since it would stick into the keyboard, so it's right there for instant access, no more "ugh, where the hell did I set that mouse down this time??".

I'll probably be using it on windows 7 when I get one though, I hate the concept of 8. Definitely won't be using it on my XP though, not compatible. =(

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

If you haven't tried Win8 with a touch screen or a touch pad, you may want to.

I've tried it with a touch system and it's still a shit-tastic OS and doesn't have a consistent touch experience between all apps.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to SysOp

to SysOp
Browsing with:
A mouse - my hand barely moves, while the cursor moves all over the place and pages just fly by. Simple, effortless.
A touch screen - have raise my hand & arm for every little thing I want to do. "Simple" in concept, nothing but effort... lame.

For an actual desktop with a real keyboard and a comfortable, ergonomic mouse immediately to the right... I don't feel "stuck" at all. Guess I'm just lazy.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by NoHereNoMo:

For an actual desktop with a real keyboard and a comfortable, ergonomic mouse immediately to the right... I don't feel "stuck" at all. Guess I'm just lazy.

It just makes sense. We amplify our ability to control a system with the mouse. We can use less gestures to complete more tasks with a mouse while a touch based system decreases efficiency.

It works well on a tablet though... unfortunately, Microsoft jumped the gun on device convergance and punished PC users.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to SysOp

MVM

to SysOp
There is also the "Dell Wireless Touchpad TP713":

»accessories.us.dell.com/ ··· 88460813

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

Msradell to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
This entire thread sounds like people trying to justify Windows 8! It's a lame operating system with limited uses, just face it people ask me from going

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

SysOp to Octavean

to Octavean
Thanks Octavean I think I do like the wireless touch pad the best. I may order both this and the logitech to see which performs the best.

And to the others who dont like win8 thats ok each there own but I wont be using any apple products any time soon if that is what you are using. Its android, ubuntu or windows 7/8 for me.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

This entire thread sounds like people trying to justify Windows 8! It's a lame operating system with limited uses, just face it people ask me from going

It really isn't that bad. Once you get past the tablet oriented Start UI by adding a real start menu, it is a rather nice running OS. It's Windows 7 with a face lift and faster boot times.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Strictly speaking, when it's booting, it's not really booting: it's waking up from hibernation since shutdown doesn't really shut down the PC, it does a kernel hibernate instead.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
Deja vu of 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, W7. There are always detractors of something new. I like the new W8 UI once I got used to it, but, it's not for me right now. Its nice to revert back and forth as needed. I still think W7 is the most stable of the bunch and XP was a close 2nd. Vista was bloated. The only issue I have with W8 is to take full advantage of the latest gee-wizardry, you really need a new PC with touchscreen.

...or just go Linux (Nadia ROCKS) ... XD

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to SysOp

MVM

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

Thanks Octavean I think I do like the wireless touch pad the best. I may order both this and the logitech to see which performs the best.

And to the others who dont like win8 thats ok each there own but I wont be using any apple products any time soon if that is what you are using. Its android, ubuntu or windows 7/8 for me.

No problem mate. I'd like to hear about which input devices you try. I think the Logitech Touchpad would be my choice.

For what its worth I run a mix of Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Apple OS X 10.8.2, iOS 6, Android and WebOS. I hear WebOS is Linux based but not sure,....

I think Logitech has a different version of their Touchpad for OS X but I suspect the feature set is all in the drivers if there is anything specific to Windows 8 for all of these devices. So in other words they likely could have added these features to their existing lineup of products.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Agreed, it's quite nice. I've been running it for a couple of months on two PCs, with Start8 installed. It's been awesome so far.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

said by Msradell:

It really isn't that bad. Once you get past the tablet oriented Start UI by adding a real start menu, it is a rather nice running OS. It's Windows 7 with a face lift and faster boot times.

I have a Technet subscription and have been running Windows 8 Pro RTM on an ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC test system since its been available for download. I bought one license though and may buy one or two more before the price change,....

Just yesterday I installed Windows 8 pro 64bit on my Core i7 3930K / ASUS P8X79 Deluxe / 32GB DDR3 1600 / GTX 670 / 500GB Samsung 840 SSD / triple 27" monitor system. Secure Boot seemed to be a bit of an issue with respect to running other OSes but I think I got past that fairly easily. I'll have to test a bit more to be sure,...

IMO, I think people make a little too big a deal of touch support one way or the other. The interface changes aren't really difficult to adjust to either IMO or sidestep through the use of add-on apps. For now I'm OK with using the default Windows 8 start screen interface,...

Touchy
@151.190.0.x

Touchy to SysOp

Anon

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

If you haven't tried Win8 with a touch screen

I have tried it (in a Microsoft Store), and it sucks. Besides being inefficient, I can see my arm hurting after a while.

My new laptop (NOT a touch screen) came with Windows 8. Win8 is OK; I installed ClassicShell so the system is usable. It's certainly an acceptable replacement for Win7.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by Touchy :

I have tried it (in a Microsoft Store), and it sucks. Besides being inefficient, I can see my arm hurting after a while.

My new laptop (NOT a touch screen) came with Windows 8. Win8 is OK; I installed ClassicShell so the system is usable. It's certainly an acceptable replacement for Win7.

Whew - redeemed yourself there. STRIKE 1: unregistered; STRIKE 2: "...it sucks" always has me saying "Next...". I agree, W8 is solid and an acceptable replacement for W7. If you don't like the new UI, set it back to legacy W7.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

A common misconception is that you have to keep using the touch screen to browse the web on a touch screen laptop. After you use the touch screen to open the browser, just use the touch pad to scroll and navigate. And use the keyboard to type.

If you want a laptop, and you have a choice of one with and one with out, you may want to choose the one with a touch screen. just sayin'

I really like tablets that have the detachable keyboard covers. This will be my next pc.

Have you seen WiDi? The XPS 12 has it. Being able to wirelessly connect a tablet/laptop to a 2nd monitor as a built in feature is a very good idea.
SysOp

2 edits

SysOp to Octavean

to Octavean
Once I deleted everything I didn't want, the windows 8 start screen was cool. Just wish I could right click to add my own tiles. And you have to learn the keyboard shortcuts and the gestures to get the most out of it.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

1 recommendation

Somnambul33t to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

Deja vu of 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, W7. There are always detractors of something new. I like the new W8 UI once I got used to it, but, it's not for me right now. Its nice to revert back and forth as needed. I still think W7 is the most stable of the bunch and XP was a close 2nd. Vista was bloated. The only issue I have with W8 is to take full advantage of the latest gee-wizardry, you really need a new PC with touchscreen.

...or just go Linux (Nadia ROCKS) ... XD

There are many redeeming qualities in W8, but forcing a touchscreen-based GUI onto someone who will probably never use touchscreen for his workstation/gaming computer is a little much.

Win 95 was awesome and so was 98. i dont remember that many detractors for either. Same with 2000. ME, XP, and Vista all had their initial failures (ME and Vista never really overcame them) and the haterade was justified. ME stayed a dog, XP really blossomed into a great OS with SP2 and onward, and even Vista is very usable now. At launch, however, there were problems.

Windows 7 was magnificent. Windows 8...it's not that it introduced a new GUI that makes you think differently about how to use the computer, it's that it's only more efficient for the (existing) small % of computers with a relatively new touchscreen. I do not enjoy using touch for a desktop computer, at least not in the current incarnations and probably never for gaming, and Metro/Modern just gets in my way. I absolutely cant stand it. If you bought me a Surface with normal Windows 8, i'd probably enjoy it a lot more, but for my desktop computer, with a 3rd gen i5, 16GB ram, and a 32" LCDTV as my main/only display, it's simply awkward.

I dont think that touchscreen is the wave of the future for desktops. A mouse multiplies motion, requiring less movement per action than using your hands/fingers (whether it's touch or motion-based), and this decreases the time it takes to navigate between and within windows, allows you to keep one hand on the keyboard (so you can use shortcut keys with one hand while moving the mouse with the other) and overall increases productivity. Touchscreen slows a desktop user down.

W8 was not made for desktops. Its that simple.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

I've been using the Logitech T650 for a few days now with both Win7 and Win8. It's a very nice quality product. I do like it. With dry fingers it's accurate and sensitive. Smooth glass like surface. Rechargeable and wireless. Love not having to depress the mechanical click of the mouse button, instead everything is an easy tap. Not sure what to think about the unifying usb receiver, the mac version is bluetooth, why is the pc version different?

Quickly learned how to use the gestures to navigate. Works great with Win7, with the only difference between the two is the new edge swipe gestures to bring up different menus in Win8. But it's not the holly grail for replacing my mouse. I keep going back to the mouse, by instinct? it's easier to grab? it's more comfortable? yea, all of those but I think Somnambul33t said it best.

I wanted it for the pinch to zoom and ability of swipe to navigate the page. But I can just press Ctrl+wheel of the mouse to zoom, and don't really need to navigate very much because most websites are awesome at 1080x1920, portrait mode. I do love the four finger flick gesture to move active windows between monitors.

In conclusion, adding a touchpad input enables the gestures Win7 had all along, but with Win8, then and only then does Win8 experience start to really shine and the new start screen start to make sense. I am sure there is more about Win8 that you will love or hate but as far as input devices go, and that is what I am trying to review, adding a touchpad along side your mouse is kind of cool.

I think I am going to start collecting different types of input devices. Since I liked tapping to click, I'll grab a touch mouse next.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I picked up the T650 a few days ago. And I have to agree, if you are running stock Windows 8 without a touch screen, it has advantages over a mouse. The gestures make getting around the OS easier. At for the money, it does seem to be a decent quality device.

But.....at least so far, my opinion is that it is nothing more than a solution to the problem MS created with Win8 navigation. On windows 7, or on Windows 8 with Start8, there is little point to it. I have the thumb button on my mouse set to ctrl, so I can press it and use the wheel to zoom. I also use Ultramon, which among other things adds a "move to display" button to all the windows, so even that function isn't needed from the touchpad. Start8 lets you move around the OS like normal, so the other gestures aren't needed.

The only real point to it, in my opinion, is to maintain consistency in how you control different devices. The gestures on the touchpad mirror on screen gestures you might use on a touchscreen, or on the touchpad of a new non-touchscreen laptop.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
As I sit here reading this thread on my desktop machine sitting comfortably in my chair typing on my keyboard, with my mouse readily accessible I find my arms are just not long enough to reach out and touch my screen.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by chrisretusn:

As I sit here reading this thread on my desktop machine sitting comfortably in my chair typing on my keyboard, with my mouse readily accessible I find my arms are just not long enough to reach out and touch my screen.

Bah, just gotta move the soda cans and the Pringles chips.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

LOL, Cheese Whiz anyone....