SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits
reply to SysOp

Re: Move over mouse, Windows 8 shines with a simple touch

I've been using the Logitech T650 for a few days now with both Win7 and Win8. It's a very nice quality product. I do like it. With dry fingers it's accurate and sensitive. Smooth glass like surface. Rechargeable and wireless. Love not having to depress the mechanical click of the mouse button, instead everything is an easy tap. Not sure what to think about the unifying usb receiver, the mac version is bluetooth, why is the pc version different?

Quickly learned how to use the gestures to navigate. Works great with Win7, with the only difference between the two is the new edge swipe gestures to bring up different menus in Win8. But it's not the holly grail for replacing my mouse. I keep going back to the mouse, by instinct? it's easier to grab? it's more comfortable? yea, all of those but I think Somnambul33t said it best.

I wanted it for the pinch to zoom and ability of swipe to navigate the page. But I can just press Ctrl+wheel of the mouse to zoom, and don't really need to navigate very much because most websites are awesome at 1080x1920, portrait mode. I do love the four finger flick gesture to move active windows between monitors.

In conclusion, adding a touchpad input enables the gestures Win7 had all along, but with Win8, then and only then does Win8 experience start to really shine and the new start screen start to make sense. I am sure there is more about Win8 that you will love or hate but as far as input devices go, and that is what I am trying to review, adding a touchpad along side your mouse is kind of cool.

I think I am going to start collecting different types of input devices. Since I liked tapping to click, I'll grab a touch mouse next.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

I picked up the T650 a few days ago. And I have to agree, if you are running stock Windows 8 without a touch screen, it has advantages over a mouse. The gestures make getting around the OS easier. At for the money, it does seem to be a decent quality device.

But.....at least so far, my opinion is that it is nothing more than a solution to the problem MS created with Win8 navigation. On windows 7, or on Windows 8 with Start8, there is little point to it. I have the thumb button on my mouse set to ctrl, so I can press it and use the wheel to zoom. I also use Ultramon, which among other things adds a "move to display" button to all the windows, so even that function isn't needed from the touchpad. Start8 lets you move around the OS like normal, so the other gestures aren't needed.

The only real point to it, in my opinion, is to maintain consistency in how you control different devices. The gestures on the touchpad mirror on screen gestures you might use on a touchscreen, or on the touchpad of a new non-touchscreen laptop.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to SysOp

As I sit here reading this thread on my desktop machine sitting comfortably in my chair typing on my keyboard, with my mouse readily accessible I find my arms are just not long enough to reach out and touch my screen.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by chrisretusn:

As I sit here reading this thread on my desktop machine sitting comfortably in my chair typing on my keyboard, with my mouse readily accessible I find my arms are just not long enough to reach out and touch my screen.

Bah, just gotta move the soda cans and the Pringles chips.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1

LOL, Cheese Whiz anyone....