how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SimplyDrew

join:2008-03-05
Providence, RI

Samsung FiOS smart app issues

Just recently purchased a Samsung smart LED TV that has the app ability to run the FiOS app that shows the full guide view and essentially enables you to not need a set top box. Hooked this up to wireless and gave it a try with some success, although it seemed like after about 10 to 15 minutes the stream would just lock up and pause for a few minutes. Sometimes it will recover and pick back up where it was, but after a little while it just completely freeze frame's and then that's it.

I gave wireless up and decided to run a physical ethernet cable from the TV to a switch, but still the same results. The Netflix and Pandora apps stream just fine without issue, so I know it has to be something with the app. It appears to stream in somewhat HD quality at around ~5Mbps, according to pfsense. However, on my 35/35 *and* considering the fact that this traffic is probably local within their network somewhere, I wasn't expecting such wild inconsistencies with video quality and utter loss of connection.

Has anyone experienced this? No traffic shaping or anything funky going on internally on my side on the LAN that I can see, so not sure where the disconnect lies here.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
The only thing that I have noticed is: the ID channel 123 is suppose to be SD, but it is their HD feed. I like that it is the HD feed, but I wish that they say that it is ch. 623 HD, and that problem would be solved.

The other is: EPIX HD channel is not HD. it is zoomed SD picture.

They have not fixed this yet.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to SimplyDrew
It seems to work great on my new LG Blu-Ray player. 35/35 here. I haven't used it for an extended period, though.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

SimplyDrew

join:2008-03-05
Providence, RI
reply to SimplyDrew
Evidently can't access all channels such as ESPN, for instance. Very odd.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
said by SimplyDrew:

Evidently can't access all channels such as ESPN, for instance. Very odd.

Yeah, it's good for approx. 75 channels, if you have all of the packages for your TV service. I don't think LG has a Watch ESPN app, which would be the way to get those channels without a box.

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to SimplyDrew
Besides Smasung, LG, and xbox, who else has the Fios smart app ??

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
The iPad FiOS Moble app has the live TV channels. The iPhone app does not have it which is odd since other cable providers do allow live TV streaming on both devices.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to SimplyDrew
Do any of the other tv makers have a Fios app in their smart tv selection? Is it just Samsung and LG?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by nyrmetros:

Do any of the other tv makers have a Fios app in their smart tv selection? Is it just Samsung and LG?

Sony does not have it.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY

1 edit
reply to SimplyDrew
I was interested in getting a new tv for our spare bedroom, but we are not paying for a box in that room, I was thinking that the FIOS smart app would be a perfect fit for our needs in this room. But it appears that only Samsung and LG have the fios smart app, and a 32" tv would be $500 with those features.... I was looking for the $200 - $300 range.

In addition I have a Samsung BD-E5900 bluray player. It's a 2012 model , but I don't see the Fios app on there either.

jgNJ

join:2008-05-20
Hightstown, NJ
reply to SimplyDrew
In addition to losing the stream which can be very very very annoying (so annoying that I avoid using the app unless my dvr is recording 2 programs), I would seem like they could also allow the full on demand catalog to be played using the app rather than just items that cost extra.

jjfios

@verizon.net
are you still having the issues? I too am loosing the stream connection and its very frustrating, wondering if you have made any progress.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY
What Samsung models actually have the fios application?

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
said by nyrmetros:

What Samsung models actually have the fios application?

Google is your friend:
»www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···ices.htm

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to nyrmetros
crgauth's link is probably OK for the list of Samsung TV models but the BluRay list is not correct - pretty much all there are NOT supported - yet. I have a BD-E5900 and it is NOT supported. Someone did post that they had a BD-D5300 (in another thread) and the app was available for and worked on it.

Samsung said they had no ETA on when the players (in particular, the BD-E5900) would be good to go.

Also, in another thread, someone posted that the LG BP620 BluRay did run the FiOS app.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
My 2011 TV is on the list but it's not supported either, so that list is very misleading.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to SimplyDrew
I have the BD-E5900 as well. The Fios application is definitely not there.

jgNJ

Hightstown, NJ
reply to SimplyDrew
It is just not working correctly and is freezing up as mentioned above. Last night it was freezing up every minute or so. I guess Verizon feels that putting it's name on a hardly functioning service is ok with them.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SimplyDrew
I have the exact opposite issue you are having. The FiOS app seems to work just fine. It is Netflix and Youtube that struggle to play HD. The first few times I tried Netflix on Wifi I was unable to watch anything. I actually saw this thread and decided to give it another shot. I would say about maybe 60% of the Sons Of Anarchy episode I watched was HD. It kept going from HD to crappy SD. At least the episode continued to play. My PS3 which is also hooked up via Wifi has no problem at all streaming Netflix HD. I think once I move in a few weeks I am going to hook the TV up via Ethernet and hopefully that will help.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to SimplyDrew
This seems the same FIOS app which also plays via XBox.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY
I wonder why they haven't added the fios app to the BD-e5900....

jgNJ

Hightstown, NJ
reply to jgNJ
Still having the same problem. The BD player is hooked up to the router using cat5. Bottom line is that the stream is not stable.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to nyrmetros
I just saw a document that states 2012 Samsung Blu-Ray players are not compatible with the FiOS app. No ETA on getting this fixed.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
said by nycdave:

I just saw a document that states 2012 Samsung Blu-Ray players are not compatible with the FiOS app. No ETA on getting this fixed.

Lovely... That's pretty much what the email I got from Samsung said.

Got a link to the doc?
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Sorry, it's not for public consumption....

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA
reply to nycdave
remove

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA
reply to nycdave
remove

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA
reply to nycdave
Hi nycdave. What about 2011 Smart TVs which are listed on your website as being supported but actually are not. Any word on future plans by Verizon to really support them? Specifically the D6500 series.

TimCo

join:2005-01-14
Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to SimplyDrew
Ihave a UN55D6300 2011 TV The FIOS app is there but it is no good to me because I live in Brookhaven Town. I installed it and it would work if I had the TV service from FIOS.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to nyrmetros
2012 Samsung Blu-Ray models are now supported. Please see if you can download the app now.