Search similar:

uniqs

johnem
@sonic.net

johnem

Anon

[General] Service to find cheapest carrier (route) for internet

Please help me with a historical question:

What services or companies were the early ones to provide a service to find the lowest cost carrier or route for a phone call over the internet?

TIA
dangmoo
join:2012-02-09

dangmoo

Re: [General] Service to find cheapest carrier (route) for inter

By Googling for 'cheapest VOIP finder' without quotes I found a list of such services right away (at least for the 3 first results). I don't know about historical aspect (and can't guess why this is important..) but it seems like good search term so start playing with

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob to johnem

Anon

to johnem
said by johnem :

What services or companies were the early ones to provide a service to find the lowest cost carrier or route for a phone call over the internet?

This is called Least Cost Routing (LCR) and here is a robot to explain it to you:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ripQ964g
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

nonymous (banned) to johnem

to johnem
Over the internet with no pstn etc in between could always be free,
Now as far as PSTN lcr has been around forever. Maybe not for home use but I am sure Ma Bell even though back when had tons of cash was always looking for cheapest cost.
Plus once any provider reaches a certain threshold finding lcr with x reliability becomes a cost savings.

So do you mean this a service for end small customers to find a cheap company to use or what happens behind the scenes with any large provider or even a large business using hundreds of thousands of minutes or more?

Plus how up to date are the costs? Real time or charts updated whenever. Do you just need a chart or do you need a asterisk etc. setup making the decision based on real time.

A few different ways to answer the question here. Especially if say homework.