NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

Re: Hypocrites

There are plenty of other options to legally obtain media which don't put a dime of revenue into the RIAA's or MPAA's pocket (or at least minimizes it). Perhaps those account for the declining revenue trend experienced by those two *cough* *cough* fine *cough* *cough* upstanding *cough* *cough* *choke* organizations.

My point, of course, is that piracy isn't necessarily to blame for all of the RIAA's and MPAA's woes. And given the evidence presented in various studies that show average spending for those who admit to pirating things is greater than average spending for those who don't pirate, I'd humbly suggest that the RIAA's and MPAA's biggest enemy is themselves - with their draconian policies, third world banana republic dictator enforcement schemes, and business model whose most recent update came when President Reagan was sitting in the Oval Office eating jelly beans.

Take me, for instance:

I don't pirate movies, or music, or television shows. I don't really feel that I have the need to do so. At the same time I also do not purchase new CDs, DVDs or Blu Rays for "political" reasons: I do not want to contribute substantially to the longevity of either the RIAA or MPAA. (Yep, I'm one of "those people" - the ones who are happy to wait a little longer to watch a movie if it helps slowly starve the MPAA to death.)

All of my movie and music purchases in the past few years have been at used CD/movie shops, with the exception of a few direct online purchases from groups like The Cynic Project. Aside from directly supporting groups I like, I get the satisfaction of knowing that my money is going to good use (helping the proprietor of a used book store) rather than contributing to freedom's demise. An added bonus, of course, is saving a few bucks on each movie or CD... which means I can generally purchase a few more.

I also use Netflix. I realize that the Evil Axis profits from this guilty pleasure, but the amount they profit is likely far less than they would have made from me if I were to buy all the movie and television series titles that I watch new. In this case, the large gain in having a wide library of media to choose from via streaming and disc offsets the negative of contributing to their profits because they don't profit very much from me. An added bonus is having the ability to stream movies and TV wherever I go. On the occasional drive between DC and Cleveland, it really helps to have streaming video to watch while driving. I revisited a couple seasons of the old TV show "Airwolf" this way last year... something that would have been much more challenging without Netflix. Of course there are also services like Pandora, and Slacker, and (my favorite) Grooveshark (best $3/month spent, IMHO). But I digress...

I rarely go to movie theaters as well, so the MPAA doesn't make much from me that way. I'm happy with the home theater setup I've got, which is far more comfortable and convenient than paying $20 for an over-salted popcorn and sugary Coke. Waiting a few months to see the latest movie really doesn't matter to me, so the investment in electronics yields far more satisfaction. And it's guilt-free satisfaction too, as my enjoyment doesn't contribute nearly as much to freedom's demise as the person who buys 50 DVDs and goes to 10 movies per year.

I have to wonder how many more there are like me out there: people who simply don't go to the movies (whatever the reason), and people who simply don't purchase new music. With the advent of music streaming sites, and popularity of Netflix and streaming from Amazon and Blockbuster, I'm willing to bet that profits are dropping far more due to legal use of legal services than illegal downloading of pirated material.

"Theft" isn't what's killing the MPAA and RIAA; the MPAA and RIAA are. And it's the first time in history that I actually support and encourage self-inflicted injuries and suicide. The faster they go, the better off we all become.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by NOVA_UAV_Guy:

My point, of course, is that piracy isn't necessarily to blame for all of the RIAA's and MPAA's woes. And given the evidence presented in various studies that show average spending for those who admit to pirating things is greater than average spending for those who don't pirate, I'd humbly suggest that the RIAA's and MPAA's biggest enemy is themselves - with their draconian policies, third world banana republic dictator enforcement schemes, and business model whose most recent update came when President Reagan was sitting in the Oval Office eating jelly beans.

The last time I check, this country is a Republic that works on the principals of capitalism. That means if the business model sucks, then the choice is to get one that works or fail. IMO the **AA's business model sucks, sinks, and does not work but yet they feel they deserve to have perpetual revenue.

**AA's your pissing off your customers by treating them like PIE-RATS when your business model created the problem in the first place. Provide your customers with a quality product at the right price and I guarantee "pirating" will be such a minor issue it wont be worth the time to chase them down. Remember **AA's your NOT to big to fail.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
Ditto

Scary ditto....my 3rd Airwolf disk is waiting in my mailbox

(yes DVD still, keep one queued up for breakfast/dinner/etc as it's much quicker to load)

Between old TV i liked and older shows i never saw since no cable TV i still have a bazillion hours available out there.

Pretty much never bought new CDs, I did buy a ton off ebay at one point so i have most all i'll want. I quit buying new DVDs.

Movie theater is a bit of a drag for singles, haven't done that since the internet i can sit alone in the dark at home much cheaper. Maybe they need a singles night or something, the big pretty screen just isn't worth the hassle.

The only support here is whatever their cut of my $200 to Netflix is for the year. I've eliminated more than that amount just on DVDs.

lurkin
@bhn.net

lurkin to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Anon

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
ditto..every word.