Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Genius069

join:2003-06-03
Ellenton, FL

1 edit

Questions about Ceton InfiniTV for my HTPC

I am hoping this is the right place for this.

I am looking to reduce my cable bill. I currently have Brighthouse and am paying >$25 for 2 HD DVRs.

I have an i5 system that I built and plenty of processing power, ram, capacity and so on. I have been slowly digitizing my home videos so that I can watch them in any room of the house. I have my entire house wired for gigabit so it works out well.

I currently have 2 PS3s and a Raspberry Pi that I use for streaming the contents of the HTPC. I also have 2 DLNA enabled TVs that also allow me to stream the movies.

The next thing I want to tackle is to turn my system into a DVR. I used to have one about 5 years back with a WinTV PVR 150 that worked well. Technology has come a long way now and am looking at cable card rental with the InfiniTV.

I have read plenty of reviews and comments on several different forums regarding Cable Provider resistance, setup issues and so on. I also keep seeing stuff about CCI flags that only allow you to view the recordings on that PC or extenders. I had a few questions hoping someone here can answer.

1. Do I have to let Brighthouse install the Cable Card?

Never mind this question, I was looking some more and looks like I can install the card myself. Link in case someone else needs the information »support.brighthouse.com/Article/···ARD-989/

2. Do I need a SDV? How can I tell if I do or not, and should this be free? Again I have seen mixed reports that the FCC states that the SDV should be given for free but not sure. Then I have seen reports where people get charged for it.

On either of the above issues I am not finding any information from FCC so I am either not performing the right search or it is not true.

3. I have read that Bhouse marks all their channels except local ones at 0x02 (meaning I can only watch on that PC). I am also seeing topics where that would allow me to stream that content to other XBMC capable devices like the Ceton Echo. Since I have several DLNA enabled devices, would I be able to use them instead or purchasing the Echo? For the Raspberry Pi I am running XBMC so I think that will be fine but not sure about the PS3 and DLNA enabled TVs.

If anyone has any other words of wisdom or information it would be greatly appreciated.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

I'll try to give a few short answers now. Can post more later.

1 -- My understanding is they don't have to allow self install, but if they allow it for some devices they have to allow for all -- not really sure of the specifics.

2 -- Ask them if they are using Switched Digital Video. If they are then you need the tuner. I believe they have to provide these. However, Time Warner has a small additional fee for each digital stream, so with the 4 tuner Ceton I believe I am being charged $1.00 x 3 in addition to the cable card.

3 -- You must use extenders. XBox and Ceton Echo are the only ones currently on the market although there used to be a couple of others that you may find on EBay although the others haven't been sold for years now so they would be getting fairly old.

Genius069

Ellenton, FL

Thanks Robbin. Another question in regards to #3 if you happen to know the answer.

If I use Linux OS and MythTV or some other supported application do I still need to have an extender that is "MS certified"? I am trying to find out if it is the recording app that limits the streaming to a device or something else.

Thanks

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

The only way to use the Ceton cable card tuner on copy protected channels is with Windows and WMC. Microsoft is the only one who has made a deal with CableLabs. I doubt that will change. Basically it was the combination Microsoft and Windows 7 which could offer the security needed for CableLabs to certify the tuner.

Genius069

Ellenton, FL

Thanks robbin now it makes sense. Hopefully someone is working on a solution to expand to other OSs or applications.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Genius069:

... Hopefully someone is working on a solution to expand to other OSs or applications.

I seem to recall reading on the NextPVR site that it costs a few hundred thousand dollars to have an app "certified" by CableLabs. Not many developers that can afford to lay out that kind of cash.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to Genius069

said by Genius069:

Hopefully someone is working on a solution to expand to other OSs or applications.

I think the greatest problem is insuring the integrity of the copy protection. With Microsoft controlling everything (Windows, WMC, and extender protocol) they were able to prove the security of the copy protection. It is a very high bar to meet. Apple may be able able to do it, but their business model is that you pay for what you want to watch through iTunes so why would they want to.