boaterbob
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Flush an old hot water heater?

Sorry - I was simply summarizing this thread and leading the OP to maybe consider that a dissolved/broken dip tube could be his reason for not as much hot water as he wanted.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by boaterbob:

Sorry - I was simply summarizing this thread and leading the OP to maybe consider that a dissolved/broken dip tube could be his reason for not as much hot water as he wanted.

interesting I was just looking and did not know back in the mid to early 90's they had an issue with them breaking off.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to lutful

MVM

to lutful
»www.howtodothings.com/ho ··· -heaters
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Subaru

to Subaru
In Canada, the water heaters have the cold inlet at the bottom of the tank (on the side). No dip tube. That makes so much sense to me, I don't know why we don't see that type here.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ to boaterbob

to boaterbob
said by boaterbob:

So, back to the OPs hot water issue - by now you've read the suggested links - correct?

Yes, I've read those links. I'm still not sure if it's worth doing all this to an old tank which AFAIK was never properly maintained.

As far as flushing goes, it's possible I could open the valve and never get it to close right again, assuming it doesn't clog with sediment the moment I open the valve.

Before I was sure I'd have to replace it. Now, I'm on the fence.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
I live in Canada, and I have never seen anything like that.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
I know what an anode rod does, buy the WH in this house we have here in Jersey also has a copper wire connecting the cold in and the hot out and that does not make sense to me. Seems like a form of electrical bonding though its an old style gas WH that has no electrical connections at all.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

I live in Canada, and I have never seen anything like that.

Here you go... Bottom entry... "Proudly Canadian"
»www.giantinc.com/english ··· cade.htm

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I don't doubt they exist, my point is that they aren't universal like you seemed to imply in your previous post.
Cho Baka

Cho Baka to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
Some older houses used the plumbing for an equipment ground where the walls don't contain wiring with a ground connector.

The threaded connections at the water tank would have either pipe dope or Teflon tape on them, and cannot be relied on to complete the circuit, thus the section of wire.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
Regardless, I don't understand why manufacturers don't get rid of dip tubes and use "bottom entry" tanks.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

In Canada, the water heaters have the cold inlet at the bottom of the tank (on the side). No dip tube. That makes so much sense to me, I don't know why we don't see that type here.

Could it be because they are easier to replace if the bottom feed pipe doesn't have to be moved out of the way to get a new heater into position?

Could be just "the way it is" but I'd be interested if anybody can give a historical perspective.

Regarding the copper conductor used to bond hot and cold pipes, it's a good idea even if those pipes are not relied upon for ground. With few exceptions, every pipe in the house should be grounded to ensure it does not become HOT.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

Having slept/showered at the house for a few days, I can now say that the reason for the water heater being turned up so high is because the dip-tube is more than likely broken. The hot water is fine for the first 5 minutes or so, and then starts to get cold quickly.

I checked the bottom of the tank above the burner and there isn't too much rust down there. Some spotting but nothing to make me think it's about to leak. I'll try to replace the tube sometime in the coming weeks, and might as well replace the anode while I'm at it.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3

Premium Member

I thought that the dip tube might be broken in our current place, as we had the same 5-miute window to take a shower. Once I took a look at the water heater, I found that the hot and cold connections were reversed. Once I fixed that I could take a hot shower for 30 minutes.

The previous owners bought the house new and lived with it like this for years!