Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to jrs8084

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

said by SparkChaser:

it's -8C right now, I don't even want to think of -30

-8C is quite comfy

said by SparkChaser:

You mean Irony?

You didn't see my Home Simpsons reference?
Yes I mean irony.

said by jrs8084:

From somebody who grew up in northern IL (and remembers -30 and -80 wind chills), the most important thing you can do is get on your knees and pray that the furnace doesn't tear up or the power goes out.

-80 windchills?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? You gotta be kidding me, I don't believe you.

At least I have a little gas stove in the basement if the power or furnace go out. It's a construction yard down there, but I'm willing to setup a camping ground if it comes to it

I don't know if I'd dare start my generator in a power outage right now :|

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

1 recommendation

You are likely correct that I am incorrect. In checking some temps, the coldest I am seeing was -27 for one particular year in question. Now, what was official and what I heard may also come into play. I do know the wind chills were very severe due to the humidity. People form far more northern locations noted how raw the wind chills made it.

Then again, the one year that I really remember was my junior year of college. School was cancelled due to the cold. But, the liquor store two blocks away wasn't That might have clouded my memory as well.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo

Back in Winnipeg, I've experienced -36C to -40C with windchill at 2400 watts sq/m. That's -68C.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to alkizmo

Was -30-C here last night, -31C for tonight (-42C W/ windchill).
*shrug*
I don't turn water off or do anything.

But if you are worried about it, instead of turning water off, it's likely better to open a faucet some place and leave it open a little more than a drip (thin steady stream).

What sucks more is when the dog wants to go out and pee and I open that door. bRrRrRrR

Congrats on being home alone!
Make the most of it.
Pizza and beer
Call in sick tomorrow
Eat more pizza and have more beer
Because in a few day you are likely going to have 10-inches of snow that will need shoveling while it's -25 out
...And that will be one miserable little nippley job

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

Way ahead of you

Though no I can't call in sick. I want to save those "sick" moments for when it counts. With a 5 year old son and 6 months old daugther, you never know when THEY are sick and you gotta pretend to be.

However ya... pizza, wine (ya sorry, too cold for beer today) and a whole supplies of movies and tv-shows I haven't had the chance to watch until now.

FFFF YA!

10 inches of snow? Screw that, the wife & kids are gone, I can just hop in my SUV and drive over it, no wife around to complain!

hm

@videotron.ca

Pizza and wine. Someone is gonna be snoring tonight and no one will be around to complain about it and rolling you off the bed to go sleep on the couch. Double-bonus.

At least sleep in and go in late! Battery problems you know...

said by alkizmo:

10 inches of snow? Screw that

That's even better
Offer some kid 10$ to shovel for you.
Do kids still shovel for money these days or can we be arrested for child abuse for that?

Oh, and good luck finding a kid who would want 10$ for shoveling anyhow.

Kids today, ay.

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

As far as windchills go, the National Weather Service changed how they calculated Windchill a few years ago.

»www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill#Old

»www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/im···pare.pdf

With the old chart, -25ºF and 25MPH wind speed produced a -81ºF windchill.

So, jrs8084 was within the ballpark for Northern IL from a good cold snap with the right conditions.

I like the watts sq/m that Juggernaut quotes. I assume that is normal in "hydro" country?

Tim [KA0OUV]

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

said by KA0OUV:

Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

Tim [KA0OUV]

Good advice!
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to KA0OUV

They used watts sq/m for a while, but then went back to 'wind chill' temps. I have to say, it was really confusing trying to get the jist of it.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

At least I have a little gas stove in the basement if the power or furnace go out. It's a construction yard down there, but I'm willing to setup a camping ground if it comes to it

Incredibly dangerous idea. Stoves use air to burn. Your house is fairly air tight. The stove will use up the oxygen in the air, producing carbon monoxide. Your wife will be a widow. Your children will have no father. Don't ever run a stove, propane furnace or generator indoors.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by SparkChaser:

it's -8C right now, I don't even want to think of -30

-8C is quite comfy

said by SparkChaser:

You mean Irony?

You didn't see my Home Simpsons reference?
Yes I mean irony.

said by jrs8084:

From somebody who grew up in northern IL (and remembers -30 and -80 wind chills), the most important thing you can do is get on your knees and pray that the furnace doesn't tear up or the power goes out.

-80 windchills?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? You gotta be kidding me, I don't believe you.

"Dear Tom,

What was the lowest wind chill ever recorded in Chicago?

—Earl Friedman

Dear Earl,

Chicago's lowest wind chill was recorded on a horribly cold Christmas Eve in 1983 when a temperature of minus 23 and a 29 mph wind combined to produce the record low wind chill of 82 below zero.

That is one climate record that will probably never be broken."

»articles.chicagotribune.com/2011···mph-wind

Side note: Tom Skilling is the world's highest paid Meteorologist for a GOOD reason.
--
Hopefully the Ministry Of Truth and Thought Police can sort this whole thing out.
»twitter.com/Bink63
»www.legacypcs.com
Frank Shoemaker would call this noise
GO Cubs GO!!!

shrug

@videotron.ca

Windchill isn't even relevant. It's just a measure of how "it feels like", more or less.

If ambient temperature is at -23 it's not going down to -89.
Example:
If you mix the mixture of your car's antifreeze to be good to -45C, but windchill is stated to be -100000billion C, it's still -45C outside and the antifreeze is good to go and so is your car.

As your link states, that record will likely never be broken in that area of the world because the formula used to calculate that value (which is not a measurable value, and which is different in different countries) changed.

So back to the pipes. It was something like -30C in alkizmo's neck of the woods last night with a windchill of -42. Impossible for the pipes to go below -30C.

windchill value is kind of a useless value unless you want to know what temperature it would kinda-sorta-maybe feel like on your naked skin in case you get amorous with a snowman, or figure a 5km walk home after happy hour in -30C is a cool thing to do.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA

said by shrug :

Windchill isn't even relevant.

Well, I think it could be, even for alkizmo's bathroom. There is a temperature gradient from room temperature (let's just say 60F) at the inside wall of alkizmo's bathroom to -30F at the outside of the same wall because that room is exposed as he described it. If the wall and the rest of the room is well insulated, there will only slight thermal transfer from inside to outside; if the insulation is poor, then there will be a significant transfer from inside to outside. But further, in a still wind, the -30F outside is not instantaneous at the wall boundary, as whatever heat is coming from the inside will radiate into the outside air, dissipating as it gets further away from the wall. For sure, at -30F, the dissipation will be rapid and the air temperature will be at ambient -30F within a very short distance. However, with a stiff wind, that few inches of temperature gradient from the outside wall temperature to the exact point of -30F will be swept away leaving a colder boundary at the wall surface. The wall will then radiate whatever latent heat it has that much faster, which will, in turn, draw more heat out of the inside of the room if it can, i.e., if the insulation is poor and consequently a potential for thermal transfer through the wall. The water pipes, being inside the wall and closer to the cold face, will freeze sooner on a windy night than a still night of the same nominal temperature.
Expand your moderator at work