spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

[DSL] Second Connect line without paying for second phone line?

I have Simply Broadband Max without home phone, which I understand is a dry loop connection. 6mbps/1mbps plans are the highest Frontier sells in my area, and I'm just barely out of Comcast service range, so Second Connect seems like a good idea.

I'm told I have to pay for a second phone line to have the Second Connect DSL line, but if they can install one light as a dry loop, why not the second? Anyone know of a way around this? That $15 second identical DSL line seems like a good idea until you add on the $14 phone line and all the taxes associated with the phone line having phone service.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN

Re: [DSL] Second Connect line without paying for second phone li

I'm having the second connect DSL line installed as dry loop but they said it'll be the exact same as having a normal DSL line installed so I'm basically doubling my internet price for two DSL lines.

However I'm told my area will be receiving upgrades in mid February--likely bonded DSL service. So I look at it like this: I'm having Frontier install the second DSL line now instead of later. So if my area can get bonded DSL service, I just get a new modem and I'm good. If not, I can just cancel the second line and no harm done

If anyone has experience with a second line and what I can do with it, I'd appreciate it. Ideally I'd be able to get a load balancing operation going.
--

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
reply to jamesonnorth

I heard after the first year the price goes up to $60

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN

Ouch... Right now I'm only dedicating myself to keep the second connect line for the first month. If I find I'm not using it as much as I thought I would or if it just totally sucks, I'll be ditching it. I was assured if I cancel it within the first 30 days I won't be charged. I'll only be taking about 20 days just to be safe.

I love how $14.99 jumped up to $40 for me and possibly $60 after a year. I'm not even paying $60 for my main line! Frontier is kinda a joke sometimes... I can't wait until I can move somewhere 30mbps is normal and the route one goes to upgrade is installing fiber.
--

staregazer

join:2006-12-15

It's funny that Frontier is upgrading to bonded lines when they cannot even bring many people in some of the same markets the current advertised speeds before the bonding was made available.

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN

Yepp. Frontier is supposedly upgrading to bonded in an area a friend lives in. He gets 4.5mbps on a good day--maybe 4.75mbps. If bonding works perfectly he might hit 9mbps on a good day, with 7-8mbps being the norm. That's insanely low for two connections. In my current state, I might hit 12mbps, and I'm less than a mile from the CO.

It's funny. Sad too.

Expand your moderator at work

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
reply to jamesonnorth

Re: [DSL] Second Connect line without paying for second phone li

I also had a friend, who attempted to get a second connect on two dry loops. Unfortunately, he was told by Frontier, in order to get the second connect service he had to have DSL service and an active phone line.

I am not aware of any work around the pricing concerns you have, but you can always consult with Frontier's customer service department at 1-800-921-8101.

Frontier Fan

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

If you read the Second Connect requirements that were published on-line telephone service was required. After reading the requirement document I had asked if I could get the line without getting telephone service and the requirement for the telephone was reaffirmed. I have had the second connect for a about a year now.