Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz

Re: Kindle Paperwhite finally launching in Canada

Reviews indicate that the paperwhite is more even, but has a lower maximum brightness.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Thanks, I hope that Staples gets the new PW in stores, as they sell the Glo it should allow for a fair side by side comparison. The touchy-feely factor plays so much into this sort thing you need to try both at the same time.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
Staples or The Source, which also carries both. As far as evenness of lighting is concerned, the Paperwhite has some dark spots right at the bottom, below what would normally be the bottom margin of a normal page, which you can only see in a dark room when the brightness is turned down. Amazon has said this is an artifact of the design and not a "defect", and according to one review I read this is a very minor issue, as the rest of the display is gorgeous and evenly lit. I'd love to see a Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite side by side. I'm not married to the Amazon ecosystem although I agree that, aside from minor annoyances, it does work very well.

So far I'm using Book Reader and Kindle on the Playbook, for ePub and Kindle formats, respectively, and both are great. Book Reader in particular has so much flexibility, as you can specify an HTML colour code for your preferred background and adjust the brightness in the device itself, so that glare isn't really a problem. e-ink is still much preferable in terms of the best experience and long battery life, so I'm on the prowl for an e-reader sooner or later!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
e-ink is a brilliant invention. All it is are a bunch of polarized microscopic spheres, half black and half white, enclosed in a spirit filled pixel sized capsule. Once the spheres have been oriented properly according to what's being displayed, they just stay there until an electric current re-orientates them.

Translation: with the radios turned off, this thing could run for days, even weeks! Until it has to physically display something, the Kindle uses almost no power at all!

I'm hoping they've improved the image management support in the device. It has great potential as a black & white picture book.

BTW, I'll probably get mine tomorrow.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow too (shipped this afternoon).

You know, I'm curious how colour e-ink would work with these new front-lit displays. The problem with colour e-ink was that it was just colour filters on top of a monochrome e-ink display, and without a back-light, not enough light would pass through the colour filter to provide a decent image (hence why the colours were so muted). Front-lit displays significantly increase the contrast ratio and light hitting the display, though, so they could provide a huge improvement in the viability of colour e-ink... as long as the light is on.

The Kindle Paperwhite, for its part, does not allow the user to turn the light off; it's always on when the device is in use. Presumably this is because the battery impact is very small when you use this sort of light, because very little light is wasted, so very little power is required.

In terms of the permanence of e-ink, Amazon actually puts an image on the screen when they ship them from the factory; when you unpack your new kindle, it has an image on it telling you what to do. Also, when the Kindle's battery dies completely (if you leave it asleep for too long, for example), it puts an image on the screen right before the battery dies. I can personally attest that there have been times when I've left my kindle with a dead battery for months on end, and the image was completely unchanged.
--

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to Sukunai
said by Sukunai:

Hmm holds slightly more than 1000 books, whoopdeedoo.

My Nexus 7 can hold several thousand books, and it can also do all the other things a tablet can do.

And every other tablet can pretty much say the same.

Not sure how these can be all that thrilling.

Now if they came for free as a means to getting us interested in a service that used the device....

Hey they do that with phones, so it is NOT a dumb notion.

My tablet has Kindle software, it reads books just like a Kindle, but, it is not just a Kindle.

C'mon really? You are downplaying the fact that it can hold 1,000 books? How many do you need? I have a smartphone with a huge screen and it hurts my eyes to read a book on it, I imagine it's the same on a Nexus 7 tablet. I don't have a kindle but I imagine its easy on your eyes just like a normal book. Now that this "white paper" Kindle comes around I think I'm going to buy it. It doesn't navigate the internet? Who cares, I have my smartphone and my desktop for that.

Can someone tell me if the entire Bible is available on the Kindle? I'm a noob.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I have the Nexus 7 and a Sony eReader, and a Kobo Glo. I have to say that the Kobo is the easiest to read of all of them. In fact "reading" a real paper book is annoying now. I've gotten use to the form factor of the Kobo for everything... I find some hard covers just down right heavy after a 2+ hour reading session.

Not to mention my wife has gotten use to sleeping with the bedroom light off as the Glo provides the perfect amount of light to read by (and I use it near the lowest setting).

I do read on my Tablet / Phone sometimes, but only for short periods.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
There are several free copies of the bible in the Kindle store (the highest rated one is labeled "english standard version", and there seems to be a highly rated version of the King James version for about a dollar.

That said, despite the FUD some people like to spread, you can put free books on a kindle that don't come from Amazon, so if you can find a free copy somewhere else you'd like to put on it, nothing stopping you.
--

milnoc

H3B
Project Gutenberg for example. »www.gutenberg.org/

I've read the specs on the proposed colour eink displays. The only way I can see that work properly is if the spheres themselves were coloured. Using colour overlays just doesn't seem like a practical solution, especially considering the light absorption factor.

You might as well get a traditional backlit tablet.
--

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Guspaz
I find it interesting though that a person would even consider reading a book in full direct sunlight in the first place. Or that a person would need to have access to a portable book for reading longer than 15-30 minutes.

I prefer my tablet for reading books where colour is actually required. For just text I suppose the Kindle is more efficient. But I like access to full colour pages.

I'm something of a paper elitist though, nothing beats reading a real book. I went to a Nexus 7 because a 10 inch was really too cumbersome. Ideally I want my Nexus 7 and a real paper back as well.

I find it amazing though what people will actually try and do on a phone sized screen. I consider web browsing on a 7 inch tablet to be small itself. And watching a video on anything smaller is moronic.

I like playing on my Nintendo DSi XL, but longer than 15 minutes of that pretty much means 30 minutes of mangled focus while my eyes deal with the different conditions.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Don't need to be full sunshine. The shade outdoors is far brighter than inside, and tablets don't work all that well.

Even indoors, reading on a tablet/LCD is a very sub-par experience compared to reading on an e-ink display. One looks like ink on paper, the other looks like a computer screen.
--

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Guspaz:

Don't need to be full sunshine. The shade outdoors is far brighter than inside, and tablets don't work all that well.

Even indoors, reading on a tablet/LCD is a very sub-par experience compared to reading on an e-ink display. One looks like ink on paper, the other looks like a computer screen.

Agreed. I have an iPad and a Kindle DX. I use the iPad for technical books because the Kindle format isn't all that great for those, but for "intense" reading like novels, the eInk devices win hands down. Also even indoors it doesn't take much for tablets to be hard to read - just have some light source behind you and you can see the reflection on the screen. The eInk devices are not at all affected by this.

I can read on the Kindle for hours, but have to take frequent breaks from the tablet - a LCD screen quickly gets tiresome for the eyes.

milnoc

H3B
Also, with the devices turned off, you can use the iPad as a bathroom mirror. Not so with a Kindle.
--

milnoc

H3B

2 edits
reply to Guspaz
Got it!

Just waiting for it to warm up a bit. It's been in a truck all morning.

EDIT: warmed up now, and I see a few issues here.

First, the unevenness of the backlight at the bottom of the screen is a bit annoying.

Second, with the backlight set at its minimal setting, this eink screen appears to be DARKER than the previous design. I don't have any of my other Kindles with me, so I can't do a proper comparison yet.

Third, it doesn't have the text-to-voice feature of the previous Touch. That was actually pretty useful at times. I wish they kept it.

More observations to come.

EDIT 2: Fourth. The dark colour makes fingerprints very visible on the device. Yuck.

Fifth. You'll probably need to readjust the backlight when switching from one ambient light level to another. The Kindle's highest setting makes it feel like a tablet device, and the lowest setting is just too dark even under ambient light. Still, when it's pitch black, the Kindle can become a very decent 3 AM bathroom reader.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to Guspaz
The Kobo Glo is a piece of garbage, look at it comparing it to the Kindle Paperwhite, even the interface is better on tha Kindle not to mention that the Kobo has an ugly bluish tone to its pages that makes reading in total darkness a torture for your eyes, like reading through an iPad in full brightness.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnwOpuZ_Q4

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to milnoc
Appreciate the feedback. Still haven't ordered one but probably will.

The dark spots at the very bottom have been noted in reviews, sounds like not a big deal. The absence of text to speech is to keep the device as small and light as possible. I'd never use it.

The big attraction to me is the paperwhite look. A constant criticism of ALL traditional e-ink readers is the gray-on-gray look. Something that looks more like real paper would be very welcome.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I disagree with you completely Xstar...

milnoc

H3B
reply to Wolfie00
I can answer the "whiteness" question now that my other Kindles are charged up. With the backlight at extreme minimum (it doesn't turn completely off but you can't see it in ambient light), the new Kindle eink screen has the same shade of grey as in my older Kindles. This greyness is counteracted as the backlight level is increased, which is definitely on the cool side of the light spectrum i.e. "bluish".

Difficult to say at this stage how this will affect my eyes. As has been mentioned before, backlit devices can be hard on the eyes even after a short period of time. I'll have to play with the light level to see what's most comfortable under different ambient lighting conditions.

As far as the interface goes, it's only slightly more advanced than the previous models, now displaying the cover page in the list of books. The rest of the interface will be familiar to owners of previous Kindles, so no learning curve there.

Finally, the new Kindle's weight is between the older non-touch and touch models, and the infrared touchscreen has been replaced with a proper capacitive touchscreen, meaning there's no more gap between the screen and the bezel.

That's it for now. The rest will be presented in my video review.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
The Kindle Paperwhite (and Kobo Glo) does not have a backlight. It uses a frontlight, which shines light on the screen from above.

My Kindle didn't arrive yesterday. Canada Post claims they tried to deliver it at 19:25 and left a delivery slip, which is impossible, because I was home at the time and there is no delivery slip.

I'll head on down to the post office today to pick it up.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Don't worry, come Monday afternoon they will come by and put the slip on the door letting you know they tried to deliver it on Monday but you were not there to get it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to Guspaz
Went to the post office. 30 minute round drip in the cold. Package isn't there. I wish to say several words that are not permissible on DSLR right now.
--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Just say it you'll feel better. There's lots of swearing here.

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The Kindle Paperwhite (and Kobo Glo) does not have a backlight. It uses a frontlight, which shines light on the screen from above.

My Kindle didn't arrive yesterday. Canada Post claims they tried to deliver it at 19:25 and left a delivery slip, which is impossible, because I was home at the time and there is no delivery slip.

I'll head on down to the post office today to pick it up.

That happened to me once - the tracker actually said it was delivered, so I phoned them. After all the nonsense on the phone, I kind of hoped it would turn up. Turns out they had jumped the gun on the tracker, and I got the delivery notice the next day.

I've become a bit weary of ordering from Amazon.ca since they started using UPS for some packages. I have to drive all the way across town to then stand in line for 30-60 minutes to get the package at their depot.

milnoc

H3B
I guess I lucked out. I had mine delivered at my office.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The only thing I don't like about it is that Amazon keeps shoving "recommendations" in your face to get you to buy more. If I wanted to watch advertising I'd plant myself in front of the TV all day.

So you're saying it's running Ubuntu?
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I'd get one in an instant if the silly thing supported ePub, but I'll probably get it anyway, the display is supposed to be excellent. I sideloaded the Android Kindle app on the Playbook and it's certainly the best mobi/azw reader out there. The only thing I don't like about it is that Amazon keeps shoving "recommendations" in your face to get you to buy more. If I wanted to watch advertising I'd plant myself in front of the TV all day.

I don't get that on a Kindle DX though. I rarely use the Kindle app. Not sure if the newer Kindles show recommendations(?) As for epub, I've only ever had one and was able to convert it with Calibre. Most non-Amazon stores I buy from (e.g. Smashwords) offer several formats, including MOBI which is the Kindle format.

milnoc

H3B
The general rule is that for any ebook to be successful, it HAS to be made available in both the ePub and Kindle formats. This includes books in the public domain, and books made available under "questionable" circumstances via BitTorrent.

And yes, the new Kindles do show recommendations on the home page. However, they don't necessarily recommend that you get them from Amazon itself.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

I've become a bit weary of ordering from Amazon.ca since they started using UPS for some packages. I have to drive all the way across town to then stand in line for 30-60 minutes to get the package at their depot.

UPS is fantastic in Montreal. They attempt one delivery, and then automatically redirect it to the nearest UPS store. In my case, the delivery attempt always happens around 12h-13h, and the package always shows up at the UPS store at around 16h-17h. The UPS store is only a few minutes walk from where I work, so I just swing by after work and pick up any packages for that day.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to Guspaz
Click for full size
Kindle Keyboard
Click for full size
Kindle Paperwhite
Finally got the damned thing, no thanks to Canada Post. Delivered it to a new (as in just opened) post office without leaving a delivery slip, and that new post office forgot to scan it so it wasn't showing up as available...

Anyhow, I took a bunch of comparison shots. I don't much feel like taking the effort to play around with the brightness comparison ones in lightroom to make them presentable at the moment, but here is a macro comparison between the two screens.

The extra noise on the Kindle Keyboard is because I had to bump up the exposure on that one a whole lot to get the brightness similar to the Paperwhite. They're both white-balanced to the same point, so the slightly blueish tint from the paperwhite is actually present in real life.

The strange slightly wavy nature of the Paperwhite image is how it actually appears, it's not image noise removal or anything (these are from RAW with only chroma noise removal). As you can see, it's definitely much higher resolution, but also a bit less precise in some ways.

I suspect that the actual e-ink material in these displays is identical (the granules are the same size), and that it's actually the magnetic control grid underneath that is higher resolution. So it can exert finer control over the same medium.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
Thanks for that careful comparison. I would assume, though, from your description, that the Kindle Keyboard (which I would also assume is the same technology as other Kindles of that generation) is dimmer and has less contrast than the Paperwhite? Isn't that the whole point of Paperwhite?

I think many of us would be very interested in your subjective impressions after you've used it for a day or so. Thanks again.