My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

1 edit

Wolfie00 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: Kindle Paperwhite finally launching in Canada

Well that was impressive. Less than 24 hours after placing the order, and it was sitting in the mailbox (superbox). For all I know, it might have been there for hours! I was expecting a delivery at the door.

Nothing to report yet as I want to let it warm up to room temperature, but it comes in a completely different and much nicer box than what The Source had.

EDIT: Turned it on, network setup was a breeze, there are no ads, it looks beautiful. Happy camper here. Now to load it up with books for tonight's reading!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

The box annoyed me, although that might be because the plastic strip broke when I tried to tear the "tear here" strip and I had to resort to an exacto knife :P

At least they didn't ship the bare Kindle box this time.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

I received just the bare black Kindle box, just like my previous Kindles. No problems here.

The Kindle does funny things at low temperatures. The power button can freeze up and not work at all. And once it does work, the page refresh can be so slow, it's often incomplete. Luckily, it warms up quickly and is generally unaffected by a cold spell.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
No real complaints so far, and I've moved over a pretty large sample of books, but those of you who bought the Paperwhite have the advantage of being able to choose nicer default fonts, like the elegant Baskerville or Palatino. The basic Kindle has only Caecilia as the default font, albeit in serif or sans-serif or condensed versions. To my eye it looks rather cold and austere, the sort of font you'd expect to find on a customs and immigration form.

All in all, with colours and font choices, and colourful book covers on display, I think either Book Reader or Kindle on the Playbook makes a much visual nicer first impression than the physical Kindle. But then, long-term reading with a paper feel is what it's all about.

I also found that the front USB ports on my primary desktop computer don't have enough juice to charge the Kindle. Possibly the rear ports do but I didn't bother trying. Other computers charge it fine, even the laptop, and so does the Playbook charger.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

You can also use a MicroUSB phone charger.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
More news on the Kindle front. Reading is important to me, so I was checking this out carefully. I guess I've been reading on the tablet for a long time because I'd almost forgotten how hard it is to get comfortable lighting for reading a paper book in bed, especially since I'd gotten used to reading in a pretty dark room and sometimes lying down rather than sitting upright with the book towards the light. And the Kindle possibly needs even more light than most paper books.

Long and short of it is, I went out today to look for a book light to clamp on to the Kindle. After looking at the different types and their advantages and disadvantages and the prices of the better ones, I finally ended up buying the perfect solution: a Kindle Paperwhite (which just happened to be in stock at Staples for the same price as Amazon)!!

So now I have two Kindles. Not sure if I'll bother returning the original one which is also pretty nice, but I love the lighting and the extra font choices on the Paperwhite (Palatino is my favourite by far -- man, does it ever look nicer -- you can get some idea from the screenshot in the other post!). Staples had it on display (unlike the freaking "Source") and I fell in love with it immediately!

Guspaz See Profile .... you should have been MUCH more enthusiastic in your praise of this thing. I blame you for the fact that I have two Kindles now!

Haven't used it enough to see if the touchscreen vs. physical controls make that much of a difference. Only problem I see is that when looking at your book list, you can't tap on the screen to go to the next page because it thinks you want to open whatever book you're tapping at. As far as I can figure out, you have to swipe to go to the next page when you're in book list view.

Couple of other observations. The Paperwhite seems slightly more laggish in responding to taps than the old one is in responding to button clicks. Also, for whatever reason, the Paperwhite charges just fine on my old computer's front USB ports, the old one didn't.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Geez I hate UPS. I don't know how they stay in business.
Feb 5 2013 06:00:00 PM RICHMOND BC CA Delay in delivery due to weather or natural disaster
Feb 1 2013 02:15:00 AM CONCORD ON CA Departure Scan
Jan 31 2013 09:23:00 PM CONCORD ON CA Shipment received by carrier
Jan 31 2013 03:44:15 PM Mississauga ON CN Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

Didn't arrive today either. I had no idea a tsumani in the Solomon Islands affected distribution from the UPS station in Richmond B.C. As to our weather... it did what it always does rain & about +9C.

I send & receive Fedex shipped items almost daily. Never late, in fact days ahead sometimes.

UPS is so full of shyte.
Grrrrrrr!

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Funny that they sent it UPS, mine was sent as an expedited package via Canada Post and arrived the next day. Waiting nearly a week for a courier shipment that doesn't even go through customs is nuts!!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
LOL judging by the time stamp it’s more likely that "Driver clocked out for the day".

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

I had one UPS package sent to Minnesota instead of Montreal.

It was a rackmount server. Pretty big package to misplace.