FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn

Re: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Kinda sad when the author prefers an Amazon sales platform to that desktop system.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Yeah... I am removing that particular platform from all of my systems for that very reason.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech to rexbinary

Premium Member

to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

I am installing it in a VM right now first to see how it installs and runs. This is the first time I have not just cleaned installed on my main Fedora machines the latest version with no looking back. I can say so far I am in the crowd that doesn't like the new installer at all. It's possible I may skip this release for 19, we'll see how it goes though.

I tired installing it in a VM but it keeps locking up every time (least under vmware).

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary

Premium Member

said by Sr Tech:

I tired installing it in a VM but it keeps locking up every time (least under vmware).

I used VirtualBox. The Fedora DVD and the Spins installed without issue.

LordMael
@cmtww.com

LordMael

Anon

I find it interesting about all the issues people have had in this forum post with fedora18. I installed it fine in virtual box with no issues, installed it fine on my work machine (separate HDD) with no issues and firefox was installed by default and available in the activities launcher right at the top. Perhaps my choice of using gnome instead of say KDE / XFCE etc made everything "just work" but I'm not sure.

The 200+ meg download post install includes not only patches but a full kernel upgrade (at least fedora / rh want you to have something newer than the ubuntu / canonical camp gives you)

also i had no issues setting up evolution to work with my corporate email (exchange 2010) via exchange-ews add on that is easy to install and doesn't require a reboot for my account settings to stick like it does in ubuntu 12.04 / 12.10.

all in all, so far in my experience between ubuntu (since 10x through 12.10) and fedora, i'm liking fedora more. (also the fact that they're not so far in bed with amazon that even my desktop searches do not include links to movies and books is a nice touch)

Oh well, I guess compared to the rest of the people in this forum topic I've had a rare case of simple, straight forward and easy to use install of fedora 18...

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen

You're not alone, but I too feel pretty rare - I was able to make my way through the installer, got my nvidia card working (akmod/rpmfusion), got Steam up and running, playing TF2 yesterday. I really like Fedora's Gnome implementation, it's really grown on me since they introduced it, I believe in F16.
LordMael
join:2006-02-15
New York, NY

LordMael to graysonf

to graysonf
Horray I'm not alone!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to LordMael

Premium Member

to LordMael
All of my installs went well also. I installed to a Sony Vaio laptop and to VirtualBox, no problems.