uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to graysonf

Re: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Yea, I went through one of the worst upgrade experiences I think I have ever had, or at least have had in a long time. With that said after my work desktop was made unbootable I did a fresh install and even then just starting fedora took forever. Enough was enough and switched over to kubuntu + kde backports. I am pretty happy for now anyway.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Ryan:

Yea, I went through one of the worst upgrade experiences I think I have ever had, or at least have had in a long time. With that said after my work desktop was made unbootable I did a fresh install and even then just starting fedora took forever. Enough was enough and switched over to kubuntu + kde backports. I am pretty happy for now anyway.

You and AC just wait for any major upgrades. There is a reason I am a vocal hater of Ubuntu distros. Not just the bloat/lackluster compiling(especially for i686 packages), commercialization, and general slowness in comparison to almost any other distro(including even Fedora and OpenSuse). When you push that dist-upgrade, hold on tight!! This is the only distro that left me with critical errors, or worse, an unbootable system after a major version upgrade. This is even with only stock repositories enabled(third party get disabled anyways). Laughable you have to burn a CD/DVD/USB stick just to push an error-free upgrade that should not require this. I been pushing Debian upgrades to a server for years. Only downtime it's had was upgrading and the reboot after. You can't even trust Ubuntu to come back online after that's done(your network might break or the whole system might). Would like to see if AC still thinks
Fedora is the worst after a few months with Ubuntu.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.