uniqs
share rss forum feed

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

As far as windchills go, the National Weather Service changed how they calculated Windchill a few years ago.

»www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill#Old

»www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/im···pare.pdf

With the old chart, -25ºF and 25MPH wind speed produced a -81ºF windchill.

So, jrs8084 was within the ballpark for Northern IL from a good cold snap with the right conditions.

I like the watts sq/m that Juggernaut quotes. I assume that is normal in "hydro" country?

Tim [KA0OUV]

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

said by KA0OUV:

Trick my Dad shared with me was to open the doors under your sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms. In particular where they are against an outside wall. Gets a few extra º to the pipes.

Tim [KA0OUV]

Good advice!
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to KA0OUV

They used watts sq/m for a while, but then went back to 'wind chill' temps. I have to say, it was really confusing trying to get the jist of it.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein