Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

[WIN7] Help - I can't eject my External Harddrive

I used Backup and Restore to make a System Backup of my harddrive. I selected System, Windows C and D drive. It told me it completed successfully. When I looked at the External Harddrive it showed an empty folder. So I went into Backup and Restore a couple of times and clicked on system image - it showed an image had been created.

Now, when I try to remove my External hard drive when I click on Safely remove hardware I see this:

Safely Elect Hardware shows: Eject Ext HDD 1021 Under Ext HDD 1021 show my -Elements (F:) greyed and I can't select it.

And I get this message:

"Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using. Close any programs that might be using this device and then try again later."

What happened? How do I remove my external drive - what is Ext HDD 2021? If Windows Backup is doing this, how do I stop it?

EDIT: My External Hard drive has Macrium Reflect 4 images on it from 3 computers (including the one I had windows make a system image of).

I installed Unlocker and sent the file Windows created of the System Image to it, but nothing showed up. I also did this with another computer's backups.

When I open Printers and Devices I see the external hard drive listed as HDD 2021. I get the eject option when I right click, but it results in the same message of Problem Ejecting Mass Storage Device.

In view of all of this I image the image created is no good and I really don't like having this drive connected like this - this has never happened before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

try to run a chkdsk via my computer, if it says to force a dismount say yes.

Or power down and remove it.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you so much. I didn't get the option to force a dismount, but I set it check and repair sectors. It only told me it would start chkdsk when I restared the computer. Chkdsk was starting and the drive was still attached, so I cancel chkdsk. When I tried to safely eject hardware I was able to, so I guess restarting the computer corrected the problem. Thank you again. I appreciate your help.

Sincerely, Libra

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to Libra

If you are trying to see the windows system backup size in the properties of the folder it created, you can't because it's in there as a VHD file and the size will not show up in the WindowsImageBackup folder's properties page until you open the folders in it and click on "Continue" to grant yourself access to it first.

Additioally, See here for how to mount the image VHD file to see the backed up files inside if that is what you are trying to do - »www.howtogeek.com/125704/how-to-···-backup/

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi Indy!

I made that Windows System Image and just wanted to be sure it was made. I'm happy to know that what I'm seeing - empty folder, is correct. A tech is coming tomorrow to replace the hard drive and I have 4 disks to install it to out-of-the box condition (for him to do), so I attempted to make an image which I think would be better.

I just hope he stays to see it through, because he said he will start it and leave me to finish it - if anything goes wrong I'd be in trouble.

Thank you - as usual, I found the link confusing, but I'm happy to know my image may be okay.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Indy Sabre

Indy, I'm being told that System Image I created may not be good (because I had ntfs warnings). Can I just attach my external hard drive and click on the Windows Image Backup Folder (showing empty folder) and right-click on it and delete it?

(I have Macrium Reflect 4 free images for a total of 3 computers on that external drive.)

I'm not familiar with computer management - I've never been there.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Libra

Just for those here to understand what is going on:

»System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

what is Ext HDD 1021?

Apparently it's the external disk you bought from Western Digital.

Typically you've got a disk, and that contains a file system volume, and the file system volume is identified by a letter. Showing all that stuff in the 'eject' dialogue may seem superfluous in your case, but don't forget that one disk may be partitioned into more than one volume, one piece of hardware may contain more than one disk, etc. All of which you want to know about before you pull the plug.

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to Libra

Hi Libra,

I really don't know how to tell if your Windows System Image is good, I was just trying to share what I found out about Windows System Image when i tried it myself.

I usually use Acronis True image and feel comfortable with that but recently tried Windows System Image myself to learn about it. I didn't like that it showed a zero bytes and that it had to remain on the root of the external drive vs tucked away in an image folder specific to the PC i was imaging.

Hope it goes well when the tech comes, but I would think once you get a good clean original install you could image that with Macrium Reflect then try to restore your good Macrium Reflect image (the one set up with your stuff) and see how that goes.

If it doesn't work, you could then restore your clean install image or restore from the 4 DVD factory image you also have.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi Indy,

I didn't like how it showed empty folder in the Windows Backup Image either. I ended up attaching my external hard drive to my Vista computer and when I looked at it with Explorer I found the Windows Backup Image file (showing empty folder) and was able to delete (I had to confirm the deletion a couple of times). I didn't see it on the root of the external drive anywhere. However, I do have three folders on that drive for each computer and this Windows Backup Image was additional. Since I deleted the backup folder do you know if I deleted everything regarding it?

Trying out Macrium after having a Windows backup copy isn't a bad idea, so long as I can figure it out. This Windows Backup seems pretty easy.

The technician came and changed the harddrive, but wasn't able to load Windows. There was an error. I called Lenovo and he determined the error message meant they have to replace the motherboard and optical drive (I did see errors in the Event Viewer about Disk 1 but didn't think too much about it.) Imagine that.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dave

Yes, my external hard drive is a Western Digital. I never had a problem with "safely remove hardware" to disconnect it until making the Windows Backup Image.

I found an Event Error referencing this occurrence. It was Windows Logs>System. Source Kernel ID 225. Application System w/ process id 4 stopped removal or ejection for the device USB\VID 1058 and PID_1021\followed by numbers.

Does that tell you why it wouldn't let me disconnect the drive?

In the meanwhile, the tech put a new hard drive in the laptop, but it wouldn't load windows, so now I need a new optical drive, motherboard and another set of recovery disks.

Sincerely, Libra

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Yes: something is still using the drive

I don't mean to be flip, but the first error message you quoted gave the reason. The interesting question is what is still using the drive. Likely it's related to you opening it in the Backup&Restore app, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

I wouldn't sweat the 'removal' issue at this point, since you can always force it by shutting down the system. The more important question to my way of thinking is, do you have a usable backup image?

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi dave,

I just couldn't understand why this happened, when it's never happened before. It seems it had to do with the Windows Backup - I never opened it, I looked at the info in Backup and Restore which showed I had created a backup (I also clicked on make a system image in order to see this information), I guess that did it.

Thank you for reminding me I can get out of the safely removal problem by rebooting the computer.

Unfortunately, I do not have a usable backup image. I was attempting to create the image with Windows Backup and it said it was successfully created, but I deleted it since there might have been some errors that could have been carried over.

I did make an image with Macrium Reflect 4 but it is my understanding that image cannot be put on a new hard drive. So, I have to start at the beginning.

Meanwhile, I looked over some of my notes when I first set up this laptop and also after sending it in and they updated the bios. I had many bsod's where Event viewer showed the computer wasn't shut down properly. I have no idea why this kept happening but auggy helped me to update some drivers and the laptop was working quite well, until it needing a new hard drive. I saved the updated driver files so I'm planning to look in device manager and if the drivers are older than what I have I'll update them.

Sincerely, Libra