spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to state

to state

Re: Some issues now?

What I'm actually asking is: Did anyone who did have non-default settings for site style and minibar not lose their settings due to this problem?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to state

Premium Member

to state
I sure wish this site would make it possible to permanently delete any blocked IMs WITHOUT having to first see them! (The point of blocking in the first place is that you don't wish to read IMs from a certain member).

The "unread" IMs at the top of every page were from members (mostly NON members and many years INactive accounts members going all the way back to Justin's last IM purge which I think I recall was in 2004). The site was not showing any members where I had blocked IMs from them as my settings got UNremembered by whatever happened yesterday. I clicked on one name I didn't remember at all. It was three previously blocked IMs from a FORMER member back in 2007! The first of the three blocked messages was a series of 4 letter words.
I deleted them. I did not enjoy having to see them before I could delete. Yes, I could ignore reading them carefully but ones that are just nasty four letter words are hard to completely ignore when deleting.

With the other formerly blocked IMs, at the top of the page, I went to the member page for each (most were deactivated accounts from years ago) and reset to block IMs and then the site removed the IM message at the top of the page for these accounts. There were a couple of former members who had removed their accounts entirely yet there were IMs from them up at the top of the page. There was no way to reblock IMs from them.

There really needs to be a way to delete all blocked IMs without having to show them first!

I am very grateful though that none of the IMs that I have from members not blocked (the vast majority of members over the years) are all still there. Some of them contain really useful information that I refer to frequently so I am happy I did not lose any of them.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to NoHereNoMo

Numquam oblitus

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

What I'm actually asking is: Did anyone who did have non-default settings for site style and minibar not lose their settings due to this problem?

Yes. It appears to have only affected users who were active during a relatively short time frame.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

"We few, we happy few..."
"...we band of buggered."
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

said by NoHereNoMo:

Yes. It appears to have only affected users who were active during a relatively short time frame.

That makes sense. I was trying to upload screenshots when it happened and the site kept saying "got 100%" but then when I would re-preview they would not be there so I tried several more times and then got 504 and 500 errors. So, I guess I was inviting problems by continuing to try to upload the screenshots.
NoHereNoMo

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo

^ She did it!!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20

Premium Member

Whoooooee!!!! I am so powerful I brought the site down...Whoa!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I sure wish this site would make it possible to permanently delete any blocked IMs WITHOUT having to first see them! (The point of blocking in the first place is that you don't wish to read IMs from a certain member).

The "unread" IMs at the top of every page were from members (mostly NON members and many years INactive accounts members going all the way back to Justin's last IM purge which I think I recall was in 2004). The site was not showing any members where I had blocked IMs from them as my settings got UNremembered by whatever happened yesterday. I clicked on one name I didn't remember at all. It was three previously blocked IMs from a FORMER member back in 2007! The first of the three blocked messages was a series of 4 letter words.
I deleted them. I did not enjoy having to see them before I could delete. Yes, I could ignore reading them carefully but ones that are just nasty four letter words are hard to completely ignore when deleting.

With the other formerly blocked IMs, at the top of the page, I went to the member page for each (most were deactivated accounts from years ago) and reset to block IMs and then the site removed the IM message at the top of the page for these accounts. There were a couple of former members who had removed their accounts entirely yet there were IMs from them up at the top of the page. There was no way to reblock IMs from them.

There really needs to be a way to delete all blocked IMs without having to show them first!

I am very grateful though that none of the IMs that I have from members not blocked (the vast majority of members over the years) are all still there. Some of them contain really useful information that I refer to frequently so I am happy I did not lose any of them.

I agree with this... I've had the flashing IM message blinking for two weeks since I knew it was from a member here I care not to talk to.. since it got on my nerves I just opened it and clicked ok and went back to browsing the site.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

... I was trying to upload screenshots when it happened and the site kept saying "got 100%" but then when I would re-preview they would not be there so I tried several more times ...

I was trying to upload a graphic repeatedly with identical results so...
said by Mele20:

...I brought the site down ...

And I helped!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

3 edits

Mele20 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Oh boy....the blocked IMs keep showing up at the top of the page...so this problem is NOT over!

I can renew the page and the blocked IMs disappear from the top. LESS THAN 30 SECONDS goes by and they reappear.

How do I get them to go away permanently? Some of these are from people who deleted their accounts here YEARS AGO. Others are also ancient IMs but those folks still have deactified accounts here so I was able to reinstate blocks on those IMs but the IMs keep coming back at the top of the page! This means BLOCKING IMS, OR FORUM MESSAGES, OF CERTAIN MEMBERS NO LONGER WORKS.

Please fix this!

EDIT: This also means that if I wanted (I don't) to block Anon forum posts I cannot do so now. My profile is STILL messed up.

Maybe it will help if I logout and login again (I did that earlier but I can do it again and do it on Opera too as it is also running).

They appear to be gone. I think what triggered them was a NEW IM.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Odd, but glad that you got it fixed. My first clue that something had gone wonky with the site was every nutjob that I had ever blocked an IM from was suddenly flashing new message notifications. Re-blocking them made the notifications disappear. Likewise, it does appear that a few of the preferences that got reset, like the horizontal vs. vertical navigation settings, you need to reset yourself to get things back to normal.

The last one I just fixed earlier today was the popups when you mouse-over a thread title, which had gotten themselves enabled after the system glitch. They are fine on the PC but don't play well on my tablet, where they can be stubbornly persistent -- they just won't go away sometimes even if you tap elsewhere on the screen. It's just a setting under Prefs -> Forums, "Topic preview pop-ups" checkbox.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Yeah, I noticed the popups on mouse over for a thread title were back and I had to change that which wasn't difficult but I did find it puzzling how to get the minibar the way it used to be until someone explained here. It was very simple...I was trying to make it complicated.

IMs that were blocked have not showed up again so I think it is finally fixed.

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
My "Favorite Forums" is not propagating new posts anymore like it used to. Is this part of the issue or did I hit a button along the line somewhere?
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

»Re: Some issues now?

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk

Premium Member

just go's to show reading the entire thread has its advantages. tnx