spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Cost of living in MTL?

I've got a friend asking if $42k/yr is enough to survive on for 2 people in Montreal. Since I'm not that up to date on cost of living in Montreal, I figured I'd ask the Montrealers here.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Depends where and how well you want to live.
bt
canada

bt

I guess somewhere with a reasonable (non-driving) commute to McGill. As for how well, "survive", so not wanting for the basics.
kenze
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

kenze to bt

to bt
About 1500 $ per month for 2 people.

600-700 on rent, this includes utilities

400-500 on food minimum to eat well.

125 for internet and 2 cellphone bills

Transportation will cost anywhere from 90 to 155 per month for both

Another 100 on misc expenses.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Sounds about right, although I believe the rent estimate would be for a studio apartment in the McGill Ghetto. A 1 bedroom apartment (a.k.a. a "3 1/2") would cost more.

horsey
@eastlink.ca

horsey to bt

Anon

to bt
said by bt:

I've got a friend asking if $42k/yr is enough to survive on for 2 people in Montreal. Since I'm not that up to date on cost of living in Montreal, I figured I'd ask the Montrealers here.

More info?
If we are talking 2 people on minuim wage NO.
If one person is talking home 42 K Yes.
It is hard to live in a world class city and not be able to afford all it has to offer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bt

MVM

to bt
First, let me define how Montreal measures apartment sizes:

One and a half: Single-room apartment, very small. Might be called studio elsewhere.
Two and a half: Normally a single-room apartment with an alcove for the bed.
Three and a half: One bedroom apartment
Four and a half: Two bedroom apartment
Five and a half: Three bedroom apartment
etc.

Rent will always be highest close to any metro station, but rent will still be much cheaper outside the downtown core, even close to a metro station.

My building, which is "downtown" (five minute walk from Concordia) charges $895 - $975 for a two and a half (366 sqft, AC/heat/electric/appliances incl.), although I'm only paying a bit over $800 due to living here a while. For two people, you would probably want at least a three and a half, which in this building is $995 - $1095 per month. I'd consider my building to be an upper midrange building. It's not fancy, but it's relatively modern and well managed, with a security guard in the lobby at night. There's a nicer building around the corner, for example, that charges 200-300 more for a three and a half than my building.

If you want to save cash, live outside downtown and commute by public transit (like metro). If you're in NDG or something you can get a five and a half for less than I pay for my two and a half.

Public transit pass (no commuter train) is $77 per person. They're tax deductible.

For food, I have no real idea how much it costs if you make your own food (I don't cook), but $400 a month for two people is an average of $2.23 per meal, which seems a bit low.

Consumer goods and services are probably similar to anywhere else (what with the internet and large chains normalizing pricing and all). I mean, you're going to have all the normal expenses you'd expect beyond those kenze listed.

$125 is cutting it close for telecom bills. Presumably no TV service. Cable internet will save you money because of no dry loop fees; $40 gets you 8 meg cable with a 300GB cap. Assuming you don't need a telephone line due to cellphones, you're looking at maybe $35 each on a cellphone. You're not going to be using smartphones for that price, $40 is sort of where that starts.

If $42k is your pre-tax income, you're going to have trouble. If $42k is your combined after-tax income, you should be fine.
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to bt

to bt
Live in Verdun or NDG/CDN. Close to downtown, low rents ($750 for a 2bdrm).

$42k/yr is about $2100/mo. You can swing it for sure.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Guspaz

to Guspaz
$125 for the telecom bills can work if you skip the cable TV and just get a Netflix subscription.

Also Guspaz, you forgot the 30% surcharge payment to the Montreal Mafia.
bt
canada

bt to horsey

to horsey
said by horsey :

said by bt:

More info?
If we are talking 2 people on minuim wage NO.
If one person is talking home 42 K Yes.
It is hard to live in a world class city and not be able to afford all it has to offer.

2 people, single income. $42k is pre-tax, not take home.

It's also a move to Canada, not just to Montreal, so we can count out relying on any government services that require you to be Canadian.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
$400 for food for two is fine. We spend between $200-500 a month, and we tend to buy pricier and healthier food.

Rent depends on location A LOT. I know some people who rent a 4 and a half, heating included, for $700 in Lasalle, close to metro and plenty of buses. I also know people who pay a $1000 for a 2 and a half downtown.

Living on $40k gross for two is reasonable. There won't be too much room for spoiling themselves, but it still can sustain a reasonable lifestyle with a few sacrifices.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

After-tax, it's enough.
Pre-tax, it depends.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bt

MVM

to bt
Well, if that is going to count for taxation purposes as $21k/yr per person, at least there won't be much tax to pay. Still, $42k pre-tax living with two people in Montreal is going to be very student-living.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by bt:

After-tax, it's enough.
Pre-tax, it depends.

After Tax in Quebec leaves...12K?

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Two people living together with a 40k income will most probably get back all the taxes they've paid.
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to bt

to bt
They'd get back two personal amounts ($20k total) + they would possibly receive GST cheques. Also, there's a high chance of getting apartment taxes back.

Total income taxes paid would be something like $1500-$2000, from my experience.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by shepd:

They'd get back two personal amounts ($20k total) + they would possibly receive GST cheques. Also, there's a high chance of getting apartment taxes back.

Total income taxes paid would be something like $1500-$2000, from my experience.

Isn't your experience from a different province with different tax laws and rates? Quebec pays far more income tax than Ontario, and apartment tax credits are now built into the Solidarity Credit.

Ontario pays roughly 5% on the lowest tax bracket. Quebec pays roughly 16%.

Assuming no other tax credits (which will give us a worst case), I calculate it as:

$42k total
$21k per person
$21k - $10,822 = $10,178 (Federal taxable amount)
$21k - $10,925 = $10,075 (Provincial taxable amount)
$10,178 * %15 = $1,526.70 (Federal payable tax)
$10,075 * %16 = $1,612.00 (Provincial payable tax)
$1,526.70 + $1,612.00 = $3,138.70 (Total payable tax per person)
$3,138.70 * 2 = $6,277.4 (total payable)

So, you say $1,500 to $2,000, I say $6,277.4 assuming zero tax credits. Obviously that will go down after credits, but I doubt it'd go down to $1500-2000...
bt
canada

bt

said by Guspaz:

Assuming no other tax credits (which will give us a worst case)

There's also the potential for taxable benefits which would make it go the other way, though they could wash with the credits.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
I remember working with a guy who had just moved to Ontario from Quebec. He thought there was a mistake on his pay because there were so few deductions.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bt

MVM

to bt
Yeah, my calculations don't include the source deductions for QPP, EI, or health insurance (assuming they have a health insurance plan).