Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

God damnit, I just found out my downstairs bathroom's cold water pipe is frozen. Toilet won't flush, faucet won't flow. Hot water works though.

That toilet needs insulation (will get to it in the summer). It's always been VERY cold in there, 4 walls, 1 to the garage unheated, 2 to the outside, and one to the kitchen. We kept the door closed because it was very cold in there so we didn't want to lose heat. I guess today it's pretty bad. I'll leave the door open so warmth can get in. Good thing the pipe didn't explode.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Keep watch on that bathroom with the frozen pipe. What's frozen now could become a problem when the ice thaws... If the pipe has a split then you'll have a real mess when the water turns to liquid again.

I've always done the "open cabinet" trick for all sinks that are on outside walls and be sure to leave BOTH the cold and hot water trickling a bit so the water in both pipes is constantly moving. At those temps you may need to leave a fairly decent stream running to prevent freezing up.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo

Might want to put a small space heater in there, and close the door.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by Juggernaut:

Might want to put a small space heater in there, and close the door.

Another very dangerous idea. An unattended space heater is a fire hazard. Overheat switches don't always work. Excellent video on risks and benefits of space heaters here.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.