Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dominokat

Re: Its COLD!

Let close this thread for the time being. Once the blizzard is over I can re-open it if you all want me to.

In the meantime let's use:

»[All] Blizzards of '13

for this storm.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

jap, it is shown on the CT ABC news website. I can't find those maps/charts on NOAA/NWS site either. You probably have to be a subscriber to get them.

The NOAA site is an awesome (I don't use that word often) place to wander around for an hour or eight.
I've been going there for years and I still feel like a 5 year old lost in the mall. Sometimes laughing in sheer joy, sometime crying in terror.

I was just looking at the sailing weather. Supposed to be great between Cape Cod Bay and Southern Maine. I can get an App for my phone. Surf forecast is good too. I know a couple idiots people that are planning on "Surfing the Blizzard". Fishing predictions are not looking good. Tanning index is zero,

That's how easy it is to stay on topic.
Thank you NOAA.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to jap

Moved to the Blizzard thread.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to Dominokat

Thanks, Harddrive.

Feeling a little better that NOAA's overnight max gusts estimations have been reduced from 70 MPH to 40. I live under large trees.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to jap

jap, it is shown on the CT ABC news website. I can't find those maps/charts on NOAA/NWS site either. You probably have to be a subscriber to get them.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to jap

said by jap:

said by capecoddah:

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes.

I lived for free in one of those (historic whaler's house, in-town) for half a winter. Had some great snows and very quiet and friendly off-season.

I've sailed over in the Dead o' Wintah a few times.
Sail-Cred!!! Fishermen give notice to "Yachtsmen" when they are actually "Sail-Bums" and have a clue.

I used to be interesting...

jap
Premium
038xx
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes.

I lived for free in one of those (historic whaler's house, in-town) for half a winter. Had some great snows and very quiet and friendly off-season.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Harddrive

The map Hardass posted got me to thinkin' about the outlying areas...

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes. (see P-Town)

Martha's Vineyard: Locals are so watered down by Washashores they my tilt the island waiting for canceled ferrys. The soft underbelly of the SE MA defense. (see P-Town)

Cuttyhunk: Won't even notice. All ~50+ of them won't notice. Nope, won't notice.(see P-Town)

Block Island: or "any port in a storm" Rhode Island island? That much snow there? Bahahahahaha! (see P-Town)

Provincetown: The air traffic to Boston was busy. Roads out were was busy too. Locals were ready for the storm. NO PEOPLE FROM AWAY! (I have a net-friend there)

Yarmouth Port:
Me:"Hi. I was your paperboy during the Blizzard of '78"
Guy at the end of my paper route: "Wife!? A brandy for a Snow Warrior!"
Something like that.

jap
Premium
038xx
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

lol. NOAA/NWS just puts the little 'greater than' character for more than their legend shows

What's the URL for that nice graphic? I can't find same for seacoast area of NH.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

Click for full size
Latest projections!

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to Dominokat

lol. NOAA/NWS just puts the little 'greater than' character for more than their legend shows.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Dominokat

I call a Snow Day for my weekly trip to Motel Hell on Saturday!

Boss Lady has 4WD and a Plow. My Buick doesn't. -$72.

I use the 50/50 volume egg/milk ratio and store brand Split-Top-Whole-Wheat and a 75% REAL maple syrup and some "thinner". (Real butter)

Keep Clam and Carry On!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to Jtmo

said by Jtmo:

In the old days before snow blowers, I used to love waking up to NO traffic noise, very silent world of deep snow.

Yeah, I like that "snow day!" feeling you get when you wake up to the sound of a snowplow going past the house Although these days I don't get snow days so much. I'm working tomorrow, at least until they shut down public transit (scheduled for 3:30PM).

I don't work there anymore so I don't get to see it so much, but I love Harvard Square when the snow is heavy enough to keep the cars away. Suddenly it's not crowded or dirty or smelly or smoggy, just beautiful and peaceful and perfect...
--
My music blog

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 edit
reply to vaxvms

Me too. Apparently my iPhone gets Emergacy Broadcasts. I never had one before today, but my phone gave the EBS tone in the middle if the store. I had everyone looking at me. But it was for the blizzard warning.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to Dominokat

Boston University cancelled classes for Friday, I would guess most of the other schools will shutdown too.

In the old days before snow blowers, I used to love waking up to NO traffic noise, very silent world of deep snow.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Dominokat

Blizzard Warning now

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Blizzid o' 78, the eye of the storm sat over the Cape.

I just saw the weather man show "models" of how this is going to pan out, and one of them has the storm on top of the Cape. Or very near it. And that is the one they thing will be right. The closer, the more snow, the further east, the less snow.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Blizzid o' 78, the eye of the storm sat over the Cape.

Interesting you mentioned that I had forgotten Feb is the anniversary of the blizzard.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeaste···_of_1978

It was not nearly as bad here in southern NH as further south. My wife and I had recently moved to NH from Chicago - our first taste of a Nor'easter.

/tom

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Dominokat

ellite-Image
Friggin' Blizzid Warnin' and Coastal Flood Warnin'.

Blizzid o' 78, the eye of the storm sat over the Cape. While everyone over the bridge was getting 2 feet of snow, the sun was out. Highest tides I've ever seen. And we got whacked with winds. Chapin Beach parking lot vanished, boardwalk @ Bass Hole was taken out by ice rising with the tide.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Sarah

That sounds retched!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to Dominokat

They've upgraded us to having possible hurricane-force wind gusts. With heavy, wet snow. Now there's a combination
--
My music blog

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Upgraded to a BLIZZARD WARNING!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Dominokat

I just tested my generator. Not that I think I'll need it, it just needed to be ran for a little bit anyway. If this were going to be a wet heavy snow, then I probably would expect the power to go out.

i'm just going to sit back, slow cook something yummy. Watch a good movie, or two. Catch up on paper work, And that's about it.

Edit add--- If (BIG "IF") I am motivated enough during the storm, I may drive around and get some photos.
My Jeep can take me there!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Sarah

It's amazing how people react to possible doom, though. We had a massive rupture in one of the water mains a month ago, took out 1/3 of the city (about 80,000 people were out) and you couldn't even buy water at the grocery store anymore. Water was restored within 3 hours, and I have two huge jugs of distilled water....go figure.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to J E F F

The only thing I'm worried about is going to the grocery store tonight Usually I go on the weekend but obviously that won't be much fun this week, considering I don't have a car and would have to walk there and back through whatever snow we get. So I'll go on the way home from work tonight and try not to be trampled by the last-minute milk-and-bread frenzy mob.

Other than that? I have nowhere to be between work on Friday and Monday, so I'll stay home and chill out and do some research for my upcoming vacation.
--
My music blog

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

So you guys worried about this Snowmageddon?

I'm not!
I'm just going to get some food supplies and watch the snow come.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Dominokat

So you guys worried about this Snowmageddon?

24" is a lot..that's like 60 cm. Most we can ever muster out around here is about 14", which is the record...we're expecting 4" here. (We're about 55 miles south-west of Toronto)

Anyway, good luck guys...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Dominokat

Looks like Quentin the Quahog was right.
--
CMKRNL

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Harddrive

Anyway you cut it, this is going to be big. How big is to be determined, but either way this is going to be big.
I was skeptical. ( Actually I still am) but everything points to a huge storm.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to Dominokat

Click for full size
Gonna be a big one. And these folks are usually conservative in their numbers.