Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

Re: Its COLD!

Me too. Apparently my iPhone gets Emergacy Broadcasts. I never had one before today, but my phone gave the EBS tone in the middle if the store. I had everyone looking at me. But it was for the blizzard warning.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to Jtmo

to Jtmo
said by Jtmo:

In the old days before snow blowers, I used to love waking up to NO traffic noise, very silent world of deep snow.

Yeah, I like that "snow day!" feeling you get when you wake up to the sound of a snowplow going past the house Although these days I don't get snow days so much. I'm working tomorrow, at least until they shut down public transit (scheduled for 3:30PM).

I don't work there anymore so I don't get to see it so much, but I love Harvard Square when the snow is heavy enough to keep the cars away. Suddenly it's not crowded or dirty or smelly or smoggy, just beautiful and peaceful and perfect...

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
I call a Snow Day for my weekly trip to Motel Hell on Saturday!

Boss Lady has 4WD and a Plow. My Buick doesn't. -$72.

I use the 50/50 volume egg/milk ratio and store brand Split-Top-Whole-Wheat and a 75% REAL maple syrup and some "thinner". (Real butter)

Keep Clam and Carry On!

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
lol. NOAA/NWS just puts the little 'greater than' character for more than their legend shows.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Click for full size
Latest projections!

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

lol. NOAA/NWS just puts the little 'greater than' character for more than their legend shows

What's the URL for that nice graphic? I can't find same for seacoast area of NH.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Harddrive

to Harddrive
The map Hardass posted got me to thinkin' about the outlying areas...

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes. (see P-Town)

Martha's Vineyard: Locals are so watered down by Washashores they my tilt the island waiting for canceled ferrys. The soft underbelly of the SE MA defense. (see P-Town)

Cuttyhunk: Won't even notice. All ~50+ of them won't notice. Nope, won't notice.(see P-Town)

Block Island: or "any port in a storm" Rhode Island island? That much snow there? Bahahahahaha! (see P-Town)

Provincetown: The air traffic to Boston was busy. Roads out were was busy too. Locals were ready for the storm. NO PEOPLE FROM AWAY! (I have a net-friend there)

Yarmouth Port:
Me:"Hi. I was your paperboy during the Blizzard of '78"
Guy at the end of my paper route: "Wife!? A brandy for a Snow Warrior!"
Something like that.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes.

I lived for free in one of those (historic whaler's house, in-town) for half a winter. Had some great snows and very quiet and friendly off-season.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

said by jap:

said by capecoddah:

Nantucket: They are still pretty tough Whaler-Locals. Laughing all the way to the bank "Looking after" summer homes.

I lived for free in one of those (historic whaler's house, in-town) for half a winter. Had some great snows and very quiet and friendly off-season.

I've sailed over in the Dead o' Wintah a few times.
Sail-Cred!!! Fishermen give notice to "Yachtsmen" when they are actually "Sail-Bums" and have a clue.

I used to be interesting...

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to jap

Premium Member

to jap
jap, it is shown on the CT ABC news website. I can't find those maps/charts on NOAA/NWS site either. You probably have to be a subscriber to get them.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Thanks, Harddrive.

Feeling a little better that NOAA's overnight max gusts estimations have been reduced from 70 MPH to 40. I live under large trees.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

2 edits

Harddrive

Premium Member

Moved to the Blizzard thread.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Harddrive

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

jap, it is shown on the CT ABC news website. I can't find those maps/charts on NOAA/NWS site either. You probably have to be a subscriber to get them.

The NOAA site is an awesome (I don't use that word often) place to wander around for an hour or eight.
I've been going there for years and I still feel like a 5 year old lost in the mall. Sometimes laughing in sheer joy, sometime crying in terror.

I was just looking at the sailing weather. Supposed to be great between Cape Cod Bay and Southern Maine. I can get an App for my phone. Surf forecast is good too. I know a couple idiots people that are planning on "Surfing the Blizzard". Fishing predictions are not looking good. Tanning index is zero,

That's how easy it is to stay on topic.
Thank you NOAA.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa to Dominokat

Mod

to Dominokat
Let close this thread for the time being. Once the blizzard is over I can re-open it if you all want me to.

In the meantime let's use:

»[All] Blizzards of '13

for this storm.