uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

After much deliberation, this is what I've decided

This is tentatively looking like my upgrade once I get to Okinawa.

Budget is ~$1k.

I've gotta upgrade cpu, mobo, add some ram, and a 27" monitor.

Here's my attempt at success:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157295

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20233144

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···24236103

This set-up here is just north of $700...if I went with a 2560X1440 monitor instead of the 1920x1080 one, I'd be looking at about $850. I plan on making this happen as soon as I get my shipping address in Okinawa (late Feb).

The ram matches my current ram, which is the reason behind the choice there. And I'd really love a 2560x1440 monitor, but I think if I went that route, I'd have to add another GPU for $250 and I'd go over budget.

However, if I could comfortably run a 27" 2560x1440 monitor for gaming, and my HP h2338w simultaneously for web browsing, vent/mumble, skype, etc. on my single card, I'd definitely go for that.

My current graphics processor is an MSI R7870 HAWK TwinFrozr GHz Edition. (there's a little room for overclocking)

Opinions? Criticisms? Tweaks? All are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

Why the Extreme6 over Extreme4? Just curious.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

Didn't you just build a new PC like 3 months ago?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to McBrain

Grab one of the CatLeap monitors off eBay, 27" hi-res panel for $300-$400.

Your parts look good but a couple of suggestions:

1. Drop the AsRock board to an Extreme 4 or Extreme 3. There is no reason to get an Extreme 6 with your setup (I'd argue almost any setup).

2. Find RAM with heatsinks that do NOT have fins above them. They WILL cause you grief when dealing with CPU heatsinks.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to McBrain

I don't know man, I wouldn't go with that monitor personally. I've read mixed reviews on that size and resolution and some people swear by it, and others say it's too large of a display at 1080p. I guess it might just be personal taste though.

I'm buying a 120hz 24" Benq in the next few months. That refresh rate will be awesome for gaming.

Other then that, you can't go wrong with that 3570K.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Didn't you just build a new PC like 3 months ago?

I did.

But if you'll remember, I took the budget route with my CPU and went with a Phenom II x4 965 BE for just north of $100. I'm going to be muuuuuch more heavily into gaming, editing, and possibly streaming once I get to Japan (I'll be there and the fam will be here for 2 years).

I should have gone with an i5 at the time, but justifying the extra $150 to the wife would have been nearly impossible at the time.

said by Gordo74:

Grab one of the CatLeap monitors off eBay, 27" hi-res panel for $300-$400.

I would much rather prefer going with a Catleap or Shimian for my monitor, but I'm not certain that my single R7870 can run the 27" 1440 monitor for games AND the 1080p 23" monitor for utility on the side. If it can, I'll definitely ditch the ASUS monitor for the Korean one. If it can't I won't break the budget and buy another GPU to CrossFire for the 27" Korean monitor.

said by Gordo74:

Drop the AsRock board to an Extreme 4 or Extreme 3.

I'm admittedly still new to PC building. I'm currently running an Extreme3 with my AMD setup, and I'm not really pleased with the peripherals (mainly no front USB 3.0 ports)...but I am pleased with the product overall,and ASRock as a company. That's the reason I figured upping to the 6 would be a smart move. But, you're right, I would probably tell no difference in it and the 4, and save myself $20. The motherboard is the component I'm least comfortable with choosing myself...I'm open to any and all advice when it comes to what's the right fit for me.

said by Gordo74:

Find RAM with heatsinks that do NOT have fins above them. They WILL cause you grief when dealing with CPU heatsinks..

I use a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 right now, and my #1 and #2 memory slots are virtually unusable at this point. I could opt for 2x8GB, but then I would render my current 2x4GB sticks useless. The thought process was to sit on the new RAM for a little bit until I could pick up a decently priced Corsair H60 (or similar closed loop cooling system) on base at the little computer store, or grab one from newegg or amazon when they go on sale.

I guess the most important question of all of this is will my current GPU, run this or similar as my main display, as well as this as a secondary display?
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to McBrain

Given that you are traveling the question in my mind would be is there a possibility that some or all of these components will be cheaper at your destination in Okinawa? If not then that’s a bit ironic.

As for a monitor at 2560x1440 and your HD 7870 it likely depends on the games and the settings.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to McBrain

quote:
I'm not certain that my single R7870 can run the 27" 1440 monitor for games AND the 1080p 23" monitor for utility on the side
You shouldn't have an issue with that GPU unless you're shooting for 100+ FPS on each game. Having another monitor off of it does not affect framerates or gameplay on the main monitor as well. You stress the "and" as if it does. It does not.

As far as the RAM, how would 2x8GB render the current 2x4GB useless? You can use them together, still have dual channel, and have 24GB of RAM. I would just get the RAM without the "finned" heatsinks. They can and do fit under the Hyper 212+.

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
reply to McBrain

You can move the fan on the 212 Evo higher up on the fins if RAM clearance is an issue.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to McBrain

I have a Coolermaster 212 Plus HSF on a Core i7 3930K / Asus P8X79 Deluxe LGA2011 motherboard combo with a Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB kit. It’s a different board then yours but there are no clearance issues. It doesn’t bother me to mix and match RAM kits so I also have some G.Skill in there too totaling 32GB.

If you are concerned about clearance the next kit you buy doesn’t necessarily have to be the same.

said by eve:

You can move the fan on the 212 Evo higher up on the fins if RAM clearance is an issue.

Sounds like a great solution to me.

I have this 2560x1440 monitor on a different system that has a GTX 260:

»microcenter.com/product/384780/E···_Monitor

This is essentially the same monitor:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6286/nixe···e-masses

The Auria EQ276W is a great monitor IMO and I liked it enough to buy two.

I have not played any modern games on it but older games like Unreal Tournament III and Half Life 2 ran quite well. So as I said before it depends on the games and the settings. BTW, if it were me I would prefer to sell the HD 7870 and upgrade to a higher-end card like the HD 7970 rather then run Crossfire HD 7870. On my main system I currently run a single GTX 670 though.

For what its worth, I have Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q monitors in a triple 27” (1920x1080) Widescreen Monitor setup. I don’t think you can go too far wrong regardless of how you go with it given the choices you are looking at.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

What do you think about the 27" monitors at 1080p? They still look pretty nice while gaming?

I'm eye balling some 27" 120hz monitors also, like the Samsungs. I'm not 100% stuck on getting the Benq.

Choosing a monitor has got to be about the most nerve racking selection out of any other hardware. Reading reviews on these things are so damn opinionated.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

1 edit
reply to Octavean

Auria was my first choice because it was sold by a reputable US corporation: Microcenter. Up until now, every sale I have see of it was in store pick up, which was a no go for me.

The absolute LAST RESORT would to be run Crossfire. I'd upgrade a single card in a heartbeat before I crossfired at this point.

I made a similar post on tom's and found that as long as I wasn't running both monitors for gaming (which I won't be), that it doesn't matter what the second monitor is, as long as my primary can handle the game itself with my GPU.

Also I found some Corsair Vengeance black low profile ram that shouldn't have a problem fitting anywhere on my board...and it's like $4 more than the ram linked above.

So I reckon the consensus is to go with the i5 3570k, the extreme 4, the low profile Vengeance, and the Auria/Catleap/Shimian/Crossover equivalent. No need to worry about another GPU or any of that nonsense.

And it should honestly fall about $200 short of budget. Nice.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

What do you think about the 27" monitors at 1080p? They still look pretty nice while gaming?

I'm eye balling some 27" 120hz monitors also, like the Samsungs. I'm not 100% stuck on getting the Benq.

Choosing a monitor has got to be about the most nerve racking selection out of any other hardware. Reading reviews on these things are so damn opinionated.

I think some people can get very militant and belligerent about their objection of 1920x1080 on 27” monitors. Honestly I’m not even sure if half these people have even tried one. I think the argument stems from a desire for cheap (name brand) 27” 2560x1440 / 30” 2560x1600 monitors as a standard more so then anything else.

1920x1080 is fine IMO and 27” monitors are starting to hit ~$200 and possibly less. This would then be within the budget category and I don’t see the point in complaining about such attributes of budget monitors.

said by McBrain:

Auria was my first choice because it was sold by a reputable US corporation: Microcenter. Up until now, every sale I have see of it was in store pick up, which was a no go for me.

I went for in-store pickup for my first Auria EQ276W monitor. There was something like ~$16 NJ sales tax going that route. For my second Auria EQ276W I ordered it and had it delivered because it was during the gas crisis and I didn’t feel like waiting on long gas lines so at that time I simply opted not to use my car unless it was 100% necessary.

So Microcenter does ship the Auria EQ276W. They may not ship it everywhere but its worth looking into if you are interested.

Still, since you’ll be out of the USA it might be better to pick up something more or less local to Okinawa if for no other reason then local technical support,....if you'll be staying there for a year or so,...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

I'll be in Okinawa the middle of February. The 1440p would come from the best seller I could find on ebay.