Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

[Cable] Feedback for TSI

Hey guys, so all my cable services went down today (TSI internet, Rogers TV) for the first time in years so want to share some feedback with TSI.

1) As you will read below, this was NOT TSI's fault nor were any mistakes made but several flaws were brought to the spotlight that I've read other users posting about but never experienced myself...

2) Cable went out completely at around 7pm this afternoon. SB6120 wasn't getting a signal at all and all the TV channels were really fuzzy. I waited until 8pm to even call TSI because usually outages sort themselves out in under an hour on Rogers (at least in my ~10 years of experience on their network).

3) No internet by 8pm so I call into TSI. 8pm on a weekday afternoon, and 20 minutes wait time....Man, people weren't kidding. Also, the option to get off hold and request a call back has also been removed? I at least wasn't offered it. I know you guys have already hired a bunch of support staff and are already in the training process, but how did it ever get to this point before action was taken?

4) Reached TSI Michelle eventually, and kudo's to her for helping me out as much as she could realizing I was a more knowledgeable subscriber. She didn't make me go through the "is it plugged in" routine, and I told her right away I was logged into my modem and that the signals page was all blank. She said this means that the line is dead and I should raise a ticket with TSI to be sent to Rogers. However, I know those things can take up to 48 hours to even get "acknowledged" so I asked if I could just call Rogers to complain about the TV not working and if that would not resolve my internet problem as well if they sent out a technician (presumably sooner than by TSI raising a ticket for me). She agreed that might be the course of action so I hung up and called Rogers. Oh and she also asked around the office if TSI was getting calls from other people in Ottawa with no cable signal and no mass calls were reported. Thanks again to her as that usually isn't a part of the troubleshooting process but was helpful to me.

5) Spent less than 5 minutes on hold with Rogers, gave them my info, and BAM.....The guy said "yep, we got a notice for your area...A cable was cut and we have a crew working on it as we speak. It says they should be finished the work in 2 hours and your TV will automatically come back up then". 2 hours later....TV and internet magically come back on....It seems a like a cable was damaged between the Richmond POI and myself in the westend of Ottawa.

So now my question is, how come when I asked, TSI had no knowledge of any downtime/maintenance/etc in Ottawa? Doesn't Roger's usually inform you of things like this, both in advance when they know in advance, and the day of when they don't? Moreoever, the Rogers system pulled up the notice right away for the support guy when he grabbed my info and he could see the technicians comments on what the issue was and the ETA...That is a very useful tool and one TSI should already have access to instead of just being able to open support tickets...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Something that just came up in my mind as well is, lets assume someone else didn't have Rogers TV and was in a similar predicament. Can TSI somehow authorize individuals to contact Rogers directly for support when it is determined their network is at fault? Skipping the middle man (ie user -> TSI-> Rogers) would help to get the issue resolved that much faster...

This is a common practice in the hosting world were some hosts (resellers) will authorize specific users to contact their own hosts for issues.....Currently possible with TSI -> Rogers or a possible solution?
--

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Rogers doesn't allow access to any of those tools to TPIA providers.

Rogers also won't speak to you if you're a customer of a TPIA provider, using Rogers' lines.

In other words, Rogers sucks.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to d4m1r

One time I did raise a ticket with TSI for internet outage. I later ran into a neighbour who has Rogers; he said that their internet was out as well. A few hours later, I got a phone call from Rogers ( not TSI ) telling me that internet had been restored.

So, once TSI opens a ticket, you will be dealing directly with Rogers from that point.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to d4m1r

Hi d4m1r,

I am happy that things are back up for you.

Here are a few comments that I had for your post:

1) We are hiring more and more techs and we are also making changes to internal processes to ensure we maintain wait times... Yesterday, they were fine until that outage hit. When an outage hits, it throws it off balance.

2) Callbacks are generally enables during the day. The one reasons I can think that they are off are the following:

- There is a problem with them (not last night)
- Its late at night and there is a long wait time (more than likely the case)
- Its late at night - Overnight (not sure this was the reason)

More than likely, when the queue spikes up and so do wait times, we disabled callbacks to make sure that no one that selected a callback got a call late at night and then became angry that the call came in late.

As for this type of notification, resa1983 is correct. We do not have access to these kind of tools. What we do have access to is the following:

- Rogers Outage Page on their Website
- A bunch of callers saying their internet is down
- Link monitoring on POIs/Network

In your situation, when there is a localized problem like that, the only way we will find out is when a few calls start trickling in and we notice patterns, which ended up happening last night.

Your post made me think that we can start calling Rogers retail to find out more info on localized outages, but without us having actual accounts with them, this wont happen.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Cheers,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee

said by WhaleOilBee:

One time I did raise a ticket with TSI for internet outage. I later ran into a neighbour who has Rogers; he said that their internet was out as well. A few hours later, I got a phone call from Rogers ( not TSI ) telling me that internet had been restored.

So, once TSI opens a ticket, you will be dealing directly with Rogers from that point.

Although they reached out to you, they shouldn't be unless your their direct customer. They are supposed to reach out to us and we call you. But hey... As long as things got repaired quickly for you, its all good.
--
TSI Andre
Follow me on Twitter!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Bell has been known to do that too, like when I requested a profile change from 25/7 to 25/10 through TekSavvy and Bell called to tell me I wasn't allowed (I was, and another request from TSI resolved it). But it was a Bell tech calling me, who is not their customer.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

I mean at the end of the day, providing they are working hard to get you online, its cool.

But ideally, we should be their first contact.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to d4m1r

Generally speaking, if you have cable TV (from any cable subscriber) and internet from a TPIA and you have an outage affecting both, call the cable company about your TV. Your internet is probably out as a result of the cable being out. Don't bother the TPIA at this point.

If cable TV is NOT out but your internet is out, then you call the Internet company.

Same with phone and internet (if your phone company is the main company like Bell, Telus etc.) If both are out, call the phone company because whatever's cut your phone has probably cut your internet.

No, the incumbent companies do NOT provide tools to indicate outages/maintenance etc. Heck most of the time, their own support staff don't know about area outages etc unless there are multiple complaints, and they're known to invent their own stories "Cable cut etc."

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by sbrook:

No, the incumbent companies do NOT provide tools to indicate outages/maintenance etc.

But if they at least get to the point where there is a pre-recorded message when you call in the incumbent that a specific area is having issues, shouldn't they be made to notify the TPIA providers?

This is all just amateurish... I would hope that TPIA ISP's would push for something like this in a tariff revision. Same for some sort of tool to verify if a modem is provisioned, etc...

For the amount of money the incumbents make on the capacity rates now, they should be made to provide better tools to wholesalers...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Andre

said by TSI Andre:

1) We are hiring more and more techs and we are also making changes to internal processes to ensure we maintain wait times... Yesterday, they were fine until that outage hit. When an outage hits, it throws it off balance.

Hi Andre, thanks for your response but what outage are you referring to? TSI was not aware of any outage in my area and it was at a local level that probably only affected like 50 TSI subscribers at most. When TSI Michelle asked around as well, there were no known outages but the wait time to reach someone was still 20 minutes :/

I would have liked to have gotten a callback even if the que is long and it is late at night (because I work late often), but I realize most people wouldn't actually appreciate a callback at 11pm for example, even though they requested one...
--

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Maybe a different issue but last night we had a Cable outage (Rogers Outage) at night time. I just assumed they were the same.

I hear you on the callbacks. Ideally, the callbacks being offered should be based on the wait time of the queue but we are not there yet.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Follow me on Twitter!

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Ah... I stand corrected. It was a Bell issue, but same type of scenario.

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Rogers doesn't allow access to any of those tools to TPIA providers.

Rogers also won't speak to you if you're a customer of a TPIA provider, using Rogers' lines.

In other words, Rogers sucks.

so prolly cause no one else has a rogers tv package
and cuase a that as the one guy said your JUST a tpia and who cares rogers thinks ( if we hastle you enough yuo will come back and pay big bucks haha )

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to d4m1r

The left hand does not talk to the right hand.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by rodjames:

The left hand does not talk to the right hand.

The left ear talks to the left pinky toe of the seventy fifth person fifty buildings down the street. I swear!

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON

If only that person was the one adding noise to my line, I could make them stop.