uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Light switch needs to be wiggled but...

I have a ceiling fan with a light fixture that has 3 screw-in type CFLs. The fan and the light have separate pull switches but those are seldom used (fan is normally off, and light fixture is normally on). The light is controlled by a fairly new single pole wall switch.

The situation is such that in the morning, when I turn on the switch nothing happens until i wiggle it slightly from side to side (and I can hear a very tiny amount of crackling when I do). Then the light comes on normally and all is well throughout the day until the next morning. And this happens only for the first time in the morning, regardless of how long the light has been off - in that it never happens in the evening, etc.

Other than the first time in the morning the swtich seems to be fine and works as expected and without crackling or wiggling. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

Probably thermal effects, it could be colder inside the wall in the morning than anytime during the day or evening.

The solution is a new switch, of course.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
new switch for sure. if you are hearing crackling that is potential sparks that could spark a fire in your wall.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to bbear2

to bbear2
Turn off power to circuit feeding switch. Pull the switch out of the handybox and check to see if the wires are inserted in the back stab holes. If they are check to see if the electrician put the wires in the wrong holes. I had one switch that behaved like your switch does and it turned out that the electrician inserted the wires in the holes that are used to release the back stabbed connections and there were no wires in the correct holes. Fortunately the switch controlled a 60 Watt ceiling light, if it was a high current device I could have had an electrical fire in the outlet box.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies. The switch was wired correctly with the proper holes used. Due to the comments about cracking and fire I've gone and replaced the switch. FYI, it also seem to be getting worse now, happening more than only first time in the morning, which is another reason I was motivated to change it sooner than later.

Is it just me or do new switches always feel so much nicer?

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

It's not just you; it's reality

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

I prefer the newer rocker switches compaired to the old style. The house I am having built will use nothing but the new rocker switches.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
It would be better to not use ANY of the backstab holes and use the screws on the sides of the switch, instead. Backstabs don't hold up well over time.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

If its a switch thats used often, pony up and put in the 2$ switch instead of the .59c one.. there -is- a difference.

-j
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

ok, so what is the difference between the two and how do I know which I'm buying? Is it purely on price? I saw one on Amazon for $1.10 and don't have a clue as to which that is.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

If you had to tighten a screw to hold the wire it is a good one.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to bbear2

to bbear2
I like the backstab ones that are held in place by the screw rather than a spring. It's the best of both worlds. I've only seen them on GFCI outlets, but apparently they're on "industrial grade" outlets too: »www.handymanhowto.com/20 ··· ck-wire/

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by cybersaga:

I like the backstab ones that are held in place by the screw rather than a spring. It's the best of both worlds. I've only seen them on GFCI outlets, but apparently they're on "industrial grade" outlets too: »www.handymanhowto.com/20 ··· ck-wire/

Technically called backwire, totally good. Backstab, where spring pressure hold the wire, is not reliable long term.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d

Premium Member

here ya go..

cheap

»www.lowes.com/pd_246990- ··· _price|0

relatively cheap, and quality...

»www.lowes.com/pd_207301- ··· _price|0

look at specs, and overall size.

whats 1.30 extra for something you use everyday?

hell, mebe i`m off on this, dunno if the 'house electrician' can weigh in.. i`m just a plumber.

-j
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies. Replaced it with a $.59 switch for now and all is well.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I hope you used the screw terminals to wire it in.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Opps no. Since it was plugged in with the quick connect I kept it that way. Are those things really that bad? If so, why do they even make them?

shdesigns