spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

disconnected

@snet.net

[WIN7] Mouse Single Click Double Clicks Local but not Remote Des

A really strange problem developed after the last reboot (because I renamed the computer, a reboot was necessary): Both my Wacom stylus and my plain vanilla mouse are being interpreted thus: single click = double-click.. but only on the LOCAL desktop.

In a Remote Desktop session, the single click behaves as it should, selecting the icon but not launching it.

Click on anything in the LOCAL desktop causes it to launch.

Both devices test good in their respective control panels. Single click is reported as single click. But click on any desktop or Explorer item and it opens/executes.

Having renamed the computer, I wonder if that had unintended side-effects?

I've seen some doozies over the past 25 years, but this one is utterly baffling. Since it affects both devices, it's not a broken mouse. Since it works in remote desktop, but not local desktop, that's even more strange. Rebooting didn't fix it.

Where can I check the behavior? Windows Explorer is set to double click select only. But it's launching everything I touch. It's driving me nuts.

This is Win 7 Pro 64-bit, running on Gigabyte P35-DQ6, nVidia 8800GTS, Intel 335 SSD system drive, Wacom Intuos tablet and stylus. Generic mouse.

disconnected

@snet.net

Re: [WIN7] Mouse Single Click Double Clicks Local but not Remote

Solution to the double click problem:

The "Single click" folder option should now be restored. If the problem persist and if you are using Windows XP Professional Edition, load the Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT.MSC) and go to:

User Configuration | Windows components | Windows Explorer
Double-click the entry "Turn on classic shell" and set it to Not Configured

Apparently, I turned on Classic Shell in GPEDIT and that had unexpected results.