uniqs
share rss forum feed

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

[iO] Cable box w/ CableCard M-series?

Could one theoretically use a cable card in a box such as this »www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···16_US-EN and get away with not having a CV cable box or does it unfortunately not work that way?

or even the Cisco 8652HDC

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

Since I don't think you can legally purchase those boxes in the US, I don't think Cablevision would allow you to use and activate cable cards in it.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to andrewc2

CV hasn't restricted use of cable-card devices as far as I am aware. The whole point of the cablecard standard is to allow companies to produce equipment that works with the cards that allows customers to view or record channels without the use of a STB.

I mean, how is it different than purchasing a TiVo and renting the M-card from CV?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Regular Cable boxes contain DOCSIS modems for two-way communication. CV won't authenticate the modem, therefore, I suspect the box may not even finish starting up even if the CableCARD is activated.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I've been trying to find technical info on this box & its bootup process, but I cannot find it. I just see some users manuals that don't contain that info. However, I see posts from people on Comcast & RCN using this box & just paying for cablecard rental, so I presume that it does not require registration of the docsis device on the plant to complete its boot-up like any other cablecard device. I did see it explicitly stated that the cablecard is what receives the channels (as in, removal or unpairing of card will result in no channels being received). Since the box supports 2-way communication (interactive channels & guide), it would have to use the docsis modem for that unless it comes from an outside source (unlikely).

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
reply to andrewc2

I would say that if its not sold to consumers, which motorola and cisco boxes are not, then it most likely needs something on the provider's network to use. Comcast has systems with motorola I believe, so it makes sense that it would work there. If the only place to find it is used, then I would say don't bother.

andrewc2

Matamoras, PA
reply to andrewc2

It looks like the Sony DHG-HDD250 was sold to do exactly what it should, insert a cable card and it works just as any cable card tuner does!

Alas I found an outboard box that is cheaper to rent! :P

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

Yes, but the Sony will be useless as a DVR since it relies on TVGOS. That service is being dropped by April 1 and it is not an April fools joke!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to xirian

said by xirian:

I would say that if its not sold to consumers, which motorola and cisco boxes are not, then it most likely needs something on the provider's network to use. Comcast has systems with motorola I believe, so it makes sense that it would work there. If the only place to find it is used, then I would say don't bother.

I agree in the fact that it would be an expensive trial for something that is very possibly not going to be able to work correctly. However many of these companies (like Motorola & Cisco) have shown no desire to get into the home user STB/PVR market and only enjoy the lucrative deals with MSOs. I wouldn't use the lack of sale to customers as proof, but it definitely doesn't help the case. It's entirely possible that all of the features included are for interoperability, so the box can be used on any network (for example, one that supports the use of the docsis modem on the box for 2 way communication, and one that doesn't) without having to modify hardware.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by frdrizzt:

said by xirian:

I agree in the fact that it would be an expensive trial for something that is very possibly not going to be able to work correctly. However many of these companies (like Motorola & Cisco) have shown no desire to get into the home user STB/PVR market and only enjoy the lucrative deals with MSOs. I wouldn't use the lack of sale to customers as proof, but it definitely doesn't help the case. It's entirely possible that all of the features included are for interoperability, so the box can be used on any network (for example, one that supports the use of the docsis modem on the box for 2 way communication, and one that doesn't) without having to modify hardware.

Well to start you need to look at the different functions of the cable box. With a cable card it would be pretty easy to allow any box to simply receive channels since the standards for Docsis and Davic are well established(just like a cablecard tuner). The hard part would be allowing 2 way use and supplying the guide to a random box since those tend to be custom. This was where tru2way was supposed to be used, to allow boxes to use a standard to connect with each provider, via the tru2way standard. As to the docsis modems, they will boot get an IP and connect just as an Internet Modem. They do not need to allow CPE(customer premise equipment) access so I do not know the exact procedure and whether they need to be authorized but they certainly behave very differently then the normal Internet Modem which places the CPE in the walled garden.

So while there is some possibility that a random box could be authorized and receive channels without tru2way there would be no guide and likely no use of VOD etc.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

andrewc2

Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

said by TheWiseGuy See Profile
So while there is some possibility that a random box could be authorized and receive channels without tru2way there would be no guide and likely no use of VOD etc.

I was thinking for basically a glorified CableCARD VCR? No guide or anything just program it and record via setting the times like you used to.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

said by andrewc2:

said by TheWiseGuy See Profile

I was thinking for basically a glorified CableCARD VCR? No guide or anything just program it and record via setting the times like you used to.

But a box made to be sold to cable companies would not support this, as it gets its software/guide from the cable company and most likely does not have any of that functionality without it.

RickCB

@140.108.1.x
reply to rv65

If you had the cablecard though, couldn't the SONY DHG-HDD250 still work?

andrewc2

Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by RickCB :

If you had the cablecard though, couldn't the SONY DHG-HDD250 still work?

Personally thats what I was thinking, I can understand either of the cableboxes in my first post not working as a DVR since they don't have means to record based on a set time and channel.

The DHG-HDD250 is a VCR style DVR that also includes a guide (until april apparently)

RickCB

@bellatlantic.com

Actually, I wasn;t very clear on my question. Wondering if you have a cablecard with the Sony HDD250, will there be any associated media guide that would be accessible through the card and FiOS service?

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY

said by RickCB :

Actually, I wasn;t very clear on my question. Wondering if you have a cablecard with the Sony HDD250, will there be any associated media guide that would be accessible through the card and FiOS service?

I think you would have to go to the fios forums to ask that.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to RickCB

The CableCARD has nothing to do with the guide on any service (FiOS or cable). The Sony box will no longer have a guide when TVGOS stops later this year.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to andrewc2

If that Motorola cable box operates anything like the Silicondust multituners, it won't need bi-directional communication in order to flip through channels but it will need to be paired correctly to the cable card to access the encrypted ones.

Based on the manual, it relies on the MSO for interactive program guides. If it does allow you to flip through channels at all, you can likely count on seeing the channel number on your screen and that's it.