uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

battery drains when plugged in

Has anyone noticed on your android device that even if the phone is plugged in for charging that if you are using the phone, the battery will still drain? I've never heard of such a thing but have seen it with my own eyes. Is this an android anomaly? I have used iphones in the past but never saw something like that.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

It happened to me once on a trip. When we left my phone was fully charged. I plugged it in in the car, as I always do, and proceeded to use the phone as a GPS and as a dash cam. When we arrived at our destination 5 hours later, the phone had 80% charge.

I was surprised that it didn't get enough juice to stay charged, but I'm even more amazed that the saltine cracker of a battery in my phone gives any battery life at all.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
No it's not an Android thing. If you have a slow rate charger and you're using more mAH's than it can't put in, your battery will go down.

Or you could have a rogue app using up a lot of battery and the charger can't keep up.

For the car I use this. I can have Maps, Slacker and whatever else I need without any issues charging.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 00S5Q9CA

For home, I use the stock charger and I make sure there aren't any apps running via an app called SystemPanel.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
What South mentioned. Most recommend a 1000mAh charger to avoid issues like this.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Hmm...I'm curious if it makes a difference because I charge, 95% of the time via USB cable with my computer. In the car, I honestly, can't say I notice when I use GPS. I use an AT&T phone charger while in my car.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

south1178 to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
USB is very slow charging and will only maintain if you're using your phone at the same time.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
You can watch current, voltage and availability % of battery with free Battery Monitor Widget.

When battery is fully changed, it starts discharging itself even if phone is still connected to power charger. At some point (when it discharges down to some specific voltage), it starts charging again. I see that all the time, when I keep it connected to charger for a long time.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to obeythelaw

MVM

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

Hmm...I'm curious if it makes a difference because I charge, 95% of the time via USB cable with my computer. In the car, I honestly, can't say I notice when I use GPS. I use an AT&T phone charger while in my car.

South1178 is absolutely right. Charging via usb cable through your computer is a very weak level of charge, easy to be "out-drawn" by almost any concurrent usage of the device.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

That's why one needs a tool, like the Battery Monitor Widget (see my prev. post). It collects and shows stats every 10 min, containing current, provided by phone charger. BTW, my 12 years old notebook yields 700mA of charge via USB port when phone needs it. It's the max amount, that phone can take.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
I track with Battery Monitor widget as well. Awesome app!!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
Yes, when I use GPS extensively. Best to keep it turned off until needed. It is the biggest battery drainer on my last few phones and can easily drain the battery faster than it charges.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

Yes, when I use GPS extensively. Best to keep it turned off until needed. It is the biggest battery drainer on my last few phones and can easily drain the battery faster than it charges.

GPS won't use battery until an application requests it. having it idle doesn't affect battery.