SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Screen saver photos, photo gallery?

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I think it came on this computer because to access it I have to go to Metro page. It is not listed in Programs.

Its part of Windows Essentials as you noted before. You can simply search for it using Search. Not hard...

FWIW I have a tile for Photo Gallery on my modern start screen, not the classic desktop, because I also use it on occasion for editing photos. I very rarely use the classic desktop, only for those few programs that don't run under the modern start screen. My wife does use the classic desktop for most of her tasks on the laptop.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

The best way to find something is to open Explorer and, if it is a program, then you look in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). It is not in either place. It also is not in All Programs list from Start8. I don't want to uninstall it or modify it so there would be no point in looking in the Control Panel for it. I didn't want to have to go to Metro to find it. I avoid Metro and would uninstall Metro if possible. With Start8 I rarely have to go to Metro thank goodness. But it is not a bad program for editing, managing photos...not nearly as good though as the Microsoft Digital Image program (part of Works Suite 2006) I have on the XP computer.

It should be on the Desktop NOT in Metro. No desktop user wants to have to use that horrible Metro page! Yes, I could have typed in the Search box but that is another big irritation about Win 8. I want a LIST of all programs. I dislike having to remember the name of every program I have so I can type it in search. That "feature" is one of the most stupid things Microsoft has dreamed up. They did it just because XP is almost perfect and they have to figure out some way to get people off it so they said typing and recalling the names of 200+ programs is easier than having all programs in neat columns accessible from the Start menu. I call that BS.

There are a lot of posts in Microsoft's forums about this screensaver in Win 7 messing with Power Savings Options and evidently there was no solution then and none now. Microsoft says it is such a complex screensaver that Windows never senses idle time so doesn't know when to turn off the monitor and/or tell the computer to sleep. So, it is a worthless screensaver which is a shame. It (like most everything else) works great on XP and the same monitor turns off with that screen saver on XP.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK

Click for full size
If you want Photo Gallery on the classic desktop just create a short cut to the application. Right click on the file and select Send to desktop. See the screen shot...

You can rename the short cut after its on the desktop if desired.

I used to run Start8, and still have it on this Win 8 laptop, but disabled its service because I found I did not need it. I like the new modern start screen and except for those programs that don't run there never really go there. I have my wife's tiles, ie. classic desktop programs, setup on the right side of the modern start screen so she can go straight to IE or Outlook or Quicken which is all she really uses on this machine.

This is a non-touch screen laptop running Win 8 Pro (32-bit)...

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I still can't find it...oh, I can go to Metro and start typing and find it. But where in Explorer it is located.....??

But Start8 has it in the all programs list now. But it won't keep it there. I could care less how often I use a program. That is irrelevant as all programs should be there in All Programs list at all times.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK

On the modern UI (aka metro) start screen what happens if you right-click on the Photo Gallery tile then select Open file location? It should show you where the program or program shortcut is located. You can (or should be able to) right click then look at Properties to see the path to the file. Once you find that you can create a shortcut on your desktop.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That brings up the icons at the bottom and if I choose the icon "open location" then is shows me the shortcut for it on Startup menu where I think it won't stay unless I use it regularly. I right clicked on the shortcut and was given the option to pin it to the Start8 menu. That way it won't disappear if I don't use it for awhile.

I was also able to click on "Open File Location" from right click on the shortcut on Start8 menu. Now I see why I couldn't find it. Even with your screenshot, I still didn't realize it would not be listed as Photo Gallery in Program Files in Explorer. Now I see it is listed under "Windows Live" so when I was looking in Program Files, no wonder I didn't see it. I was looking for "Photo Gallery" or "Windows Essentials".
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by Mele20:

I was also able to click on "Open File Location" from right click on the shortcut on Start8 menu. Now I see why I couldn't find it. Even with your screenshot, I still didn't realize it would not be listed as Photo Gallery in Program Files in Explorer. Now I see it is listed under "Windows Live" so when I was looking in Program Files, no wonder I didn't see it. I was looking for "Photo Gallery" or "Windows Essentials".

Correct. In my case, "Windows Essentials 2012" was installed to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\"

The actual EXE name for "Photo Gallery" is "WLXPhotoGallery.exe" and is located at

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery"

By the way, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but in my testing of this in my previous post, I DID NOT click on either icon created (Photo Gallery or Movie Maker). I did so now (after my testing), and I get some kind of Service Agreement that I would have to "accept" before using the product. What's interesting is that the screen saver part appears to "work" even though I have yet to accept (or decline) the Service Agreement.

Again, not sure if that matters or not, but I did want to point that out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail