All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Bob4

to Bob4

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

said by Bob4:

Get an electric pipe thawer (Google it). They run close to $1000.

Hell no

This summer I'm supposed to make a small laundry room in the back of my garage (where it shares the wall with the problematic bathroom). I'll insulate the walls at that time and the problem will be over.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

please tell me you are heating the garage? in this weather if you dont heat an attached garage you will get floor heaves, cracks and the like.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by telco_mtl:

please tell me you are heating the garage? in this weather if you dont heat an attached garage you will get floor heaves, cracks and the like.

How did garages survive being unheated for the last 30-50 years without any of that stuff happening?
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Draiman:

said by telco_mtl:

How did garages survive being unheated for the last 30-50 years without any of that stuff happening?

up here in quebec attached garages are always heated, but most people turn off the heat. In my moonlight gig i can tell you just pulling up to the house if the garage has had its heat turned off. Until you have been up north you really dont know the disasterous effects of adfreezing

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
Well I kept the bathroom door opened while I was gone (just came back) and water is running normally.

To the guy who told me to insulate the wall&pipes: Yes I did say several times I'm doing that in the summer
said by telco_mtl:

I believe that only applies to garages at the same level as the basement.
My garage's concrete slab is at ground level.
Considering my house is 46 years old and there was no heating in the garage throughout that whole time, I doubt the floor will change.

Anyway when the basement is finished (spring), I will get around to the garage, I want a laundry room in there so I will insulate most of it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

said by Draiman:

said by telco_mtl:

up here in quebec attached garages are always heated, but most people turn off the heat. In my moonlight gig i can tell you just pulling up to the house if the garage has had its heat turned off. Until you have been up north you really dont know the disasterous effects of adfreezing

Yup.