spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jayc

join:2013-01-24

[Voip.ms] voip.ms fax forwarding

Let me preface to say that I already know I made a mistake.. i wasn't thinking this through when I did it!

I've been using voip.ms for several years for a few lines, very happy with service. But since they don't offer fax, I still had my old vbuzzer fax service running, but can't stand it since it doesn't do fax-to-email!

So i found a new provider that does (onesuite), and rather than change my fax number, I ported my existing fax number from vbuzzer into voip.ms, and thought I'd just set it to forward to the new provider.

All of that works, except the faxes don't work when I use voip.ms as a forward! If I fax directly to my onesuite number, it works fine of course. But if I dial the voip.ms number which forwards on, faxes never go through.

I'm assuming there's no solution... unless someone has any ideas?

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

port to Anveo; all it's US DIDs support FAX.

jayc

reply to jayc

It's a Canadian DID...

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

Why not port your fax number to Onesuite if they offer the service you want?

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

said by Trev:

... or port to Vitelity or CallCentric. Both offer excellent inbound fax services. Vitelity's service also includes excellent outbound service - including email to fax. (I understand Voip.ms has a fax service in development. One day maybe ...)

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to Trev

said by Trev:

It doesn't seem that onesuite offers number porting for non-toll free numbers.

said by lilarry:

... or port to Vitelity or CallCentric. Both offer excellent inbound fax services. Vitelity's service also includes excellent outbound service - including email to fax. (I understand Voip.ms has a fax service in development. One day maybe ...)

I agree. Unfortunately, it is going to cost the OP another $25 porting fee to transfer the number to a provider that supports incoming fax.

Next time someone wants to try something potentially wonky like this, it would be wise to purchase a temporary DID for $.99 to test it out first!

jayc

reply to lilarry

said by lilarry:

said by Trev:

Hadn't heard of Vitelity.. Will check them out thanks

jayc

reply to crazyk4952

said by crazyk4952 See Profile

I agree. Unfortunately, it is going to cost the OP another $25 porting fee to transfer the number to a provider that supports incoming fax.

Next time someone wants to try something potentially wonky like this, it would be wise to purchase a temporary DID for $.99 to test it out first!
[/BQUOTE :

Agreed.. didn't think this one through, seemed like a good idea at the time! I used voip.ms for everything else, so thought I'd just host the DID there along with all my other numbers. Funny, I'm always the guy telling people to get a test DID for $0.99 to try things.. lightbulb didn't click on for this one though!

Ah well.. another $25 down the tube.. things could be worse, i could be paying for real landline access with my local telco and spending 10x what I spend on voip each month!

Wonder if voip.ms will ever add fax.. it's been "in development" for a LONG time now... probably not worth their while, but would still be nice to have all my stuff in one place!

whocares

@charter.com
reply to jayc

I wish voip.ms would offer SOMETHING in the way of fax. Even if it's just a knockoff of other providers. I think they are waiting and hoping fax will "go away" - but it's not happening.
They've been dodging this too subject too long.

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

aren't we all waiting for fax to go away? but it's engrained into quite a few business models.
there are still some businesses (health, government, legal, etc) that require faxes.

heck, i received a 3.5" *floppy* drive once. how quaint.
all it contained were *text* files.
i called and asked if they could just email me the files attachments.
1.44 mb, forsooth.
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by horacebork:

aren't we all waiting for fax to go away? but it's engrained into quite a few business models.
there are still some businesses (health, government, legal, etc) that require faxes.

Unfortunately that's true. For many firms fax is still an every day necessity despite the availability of email.