planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Dangerous remote Linksys 0-day root exploit discovered!

said by antdude:

said by jbob:

Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many hear, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

I do. The problem is its complex instructions and easy to brick. I don't want to try it until I have a spare wireless router to use in case something goes wrong.

What antdude said:
»Linksys E1000: Is it bricked?

My E1000 is now a paperweight.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
said by planet:

said by antdude:

said by jbob:

Does anyone actually run the Linksys firmware on these routers? I think many hear, at least they should, are running a third party firmware.

I do. The problem is its complex instructions and easy to brick. I don't want to try it until I have a spare wireless router to use in case something goes wrong.

What antdude said:
»Linksys E1000: Is it bricked?

My E1000 is now a paperweight.

To be clear my comment about not using the Linksys firmware was for the router in question. The 54GL.

I'm not sure what is so hard about flashing the GL series router. It is so user friendly. Flashing this thing couldn't get any easier. Just pick DD-WRT or Tomato and flash away. There are so many more options available via these two third party firmwares that it makes not using them foolish. lol But I also understand if one doesn't really want to. If the stock firmware works what more can you ask for! Oh another exploit!

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
DefenseCode finally released their findings. It's related to the uPnP abomination (see »Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play) but specific to Broadcom devices.

»blog.defensecode.com/2013/01/bro···ode.html