Ashke
Flips page and continues reading
Premium Member
join:2007-09-11
Minneapolis, MN

Ashke to MVS

Premium Member

to MVS

Re: PHP: file_exists fails to work or pebkac?

Good point....

So for Windows-based servers, it will look in '/My Computer/' if I used '/' in the beginning of the string?

MVS
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18

MVS

Premium Member

My guess is that it would refer to the root directory of the current drive (for example, "C:\"), but I don't have a Windows server available to test that.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Ashke

Premium Member

to Ashke
There's no file system directory called "My Computer", so, probably not. "My Computer" is an entity in the shell namespace only. So unless your server happens to be dealing with the shell namespace, I'd suppose you don't see "My Computer".

Overall philosophy difference here: Unix tends to put non-file-system objects into the file system namespace -- like /dev/foo for example. Windows tends to put file system objects into some other namespace -- like the assorted x:\$Recycle.Bin directories show up in Explorer as "Recycle Bin", and only one of them. Not everything you see in Windows Explorer is a file.

Ashke
Flips page and continues reading
Premium Member
join:2007-09-11
Minneapolis, MN

Ashke

Premium Member

said by dave:

There's no file system directory called "My Computer", so, probably not. "My Computer" is an entity in the shell namespace only. So unless your server happens to be dealing with the shell namespace, I'd suppose you don't see "My Computer".

Overall philosophy difference here: Unix tends to put non-file-system objects into the file system namespace -- like /dev/foo for example. Windows tends to put file system objects into some other namespace -- like the assorted x:\$Recycle.Bin directories show up in Explorer as "Recycle Bin", and only one of them. Not everything you see in Windows Explorer is a file.

I guess you guys are right... The Linux server went batshit-berserk when I tried it....