how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to xech

Re: Google has to work with verizon

Verizon is not expanding their FiOS network beyond where they said originally where they'd install service. Once that's complete with that, they're done.

This is two fold. One reason is that wireless is where they see growth. The second (and this is only a rumor that I heard) is that Comcast and Verizon worked out an agreement - Comcast won't go into wireless and Verizon won't expand FiOS.

So what does this mean for Google Fiber? They can do whatever they want. AT&T's U-Verse is no comparison to true fiber. It just can't handle the bandwidth or serve a large portion of population. I wish Google Fiber the best if they expand beyond the Kansas City area. Might give AT&T and CenturyLink (former Qwest) and of course Comcast/Charter/Time-Warner some real competition.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

2 edits

That "agreement" was all part of Verizon grabbing that extra 4G spectrum that the cable company consortium snagged from the FCC auction of the old TV stations white space when they forced everyone over to digital broadcasting only. The cable companies knew this was their ace in the hole against Verizon/AT&T so they massively outbid everyone for it.

Now the cable company had prime 4G real estate and wouldn't just hand it over to Verizon/AT&T without something big in return. The deal they worked out was that the cable companies would let Verizon use the space in exchange for Verizon to cease expanding FiOS into further cable markets, also Verizon agreed to let the cable companies use their wireless network to "rebrand" their version of Verizon Wireless as their own.

Since AT&T was left out of this deal, their 4G spectrum grab was in the form of the T-Mobile buy out, which also didn't quite work out to their favor.

I'm glad I got FiOS in my area while they were building it, but once that deal was made I see it as the final nail in the coffin for FiOS. When Verizon lost their last CEO their ambitious FiOS plans went out the door with him. I think we'll be lucky to see upgrades to FiOS beyond GPON. I really hope Verizon continues to upgrade the network, but the new Verizon sees FiOS as it's bastard child since all the workers for it are union controlled and they want to shed the unions from their business all together.

Unions and corporations and back room government/corporate deals are the bane of innovation and competition in this country and deals like this are exactly why.

AT&T is slowly but surely building a nationwide fiber network just like Verizon has done, but they are years behind from starting (Verizon started in the late 90s building out the FiOS networks, AT&T just started around 2005). AT&T's network footprint is also massive compared to Verizon so naturally it's going to take much longer to refit their network for a FiOS alternative. This is why they started with the "Fiber to the node" method instead of just going all the way to FTTP. This allowed them to get the framework of U-Verse out but just not at fiber speeds yet. In 10 years or so U-Verse is going to be just as capable as FiOS. Once that happens it'll be interesting to see what the cable companies will do. If they want to survive, they better get on the fiber bandwagon as well or they stick to coax and accept their service as inferior and lose money because they have to offer their service for pennies on the dollar compared to the Verizon/AT&T fiber networks.

Google has a long long long way to go to build out any US network, they are just 1 city right now. Verizon/AT&T have more than 100 years of infrastructure in place ahead of Google on this.