spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

Clear QAM / VHO5

According to the TV FAQ there should be some clear QAM still on FIOS?

Reason I ask is I am using the multiroom DVR but got an offer from Tivo to reactivate my Premiere.

So I plugged it in last night (without a cable card) and did a guided setup. The dozen or so channels I tried did not come in. 2-13 plus a few others I tried.

Is everything encrypted now in VHO5 (Queens, NY)? Or should I have been able to get some basic channels?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

You should get basics, that said here they aren't mapped properly so just plugging in 2-13 doesn't yield any channels.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

said by kes601:

You should get basics, that said here they aren't mapped properly so just plugging in 2-13 doesn't yield any channels.

Thanks. I should have thought of that. We have a TV here at work picking up a few clear QAM channels on the local cable co. As you said they are not mapped to the normal 2-13 locations.

I will have to hook it back up tonight and see if I can find where they are.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

What kind of QAM tuner are you using? With my 2009 Panasonic TV, I need to perform a full channel scan which takes almost 45 minutes.

I get all the must-carry local channels in VHO5, and most of them have sub-channels:

2-1 WCBS-HD
4-1 WNBC
4-2 COZI-TV
5-1 WNYW
7-1 WABC-DT
7-2 LivWell
7-3 LIVWELL
9-1 WWOR-TV
9-3 BOUNCE
10-1 WLNY-10
11-1 PIX11
11-2 Antenna
11-3 ThisTV
13-1 WNET-HD
13-2 KIDS
13-3 V-ME
21-1 WLIW-SD
21-2 CREATE
21-3 WORLD
31-1 ION
31-2 qubo
31-3 IONLife
41-1 WXTV-DT
41-2 WFUT-DT
47-1 WNJU-HD
47-2 Exitos
48-1 WRNN-D1
48-2 WRNN-D2
48-5 WRNN-D5
52-1 NJTV-HD
63-1 WMBC DT
63-5 NTDTV
63-6 Azteca
68-1 WFUT-DT
68-2 WXTV-DT
Grover8
join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Grover8 to jcondon

to jcondon
No issues with ClearQAM.

I have 4 hdhomerun's total of 8 tuners just on local. I also have a few HDTV's hooked up via QAM.

This is all ontop of 3 ceton tuners total of 12 tuners and two STB's of them being a DVR.

Can I add more before I see any issues? Who knows but so far so good.

I wonder what the max before losing quality. Must have good splitter.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon to nycdave

to nycdave
Tivo Premiere (the 2 tuner model). It was getting late (for me anyway).

I will run a channel scan next time I hook it back up. The guided setup and initial download took several hours (I was on a different cable system when I used the Tivo last).

I am sure a scan will help me find the channels.

I have like 9 or 10 months on the free multi room PVR left so I probably will shelf the Tivo till then anyway.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to jcondon

Premium Member

to jcondon
One note with all this - I know it hasn't gone into effect yet, but the FCC issued a recent ruling allowing cable companies to encrypt locals. Like I said - I don't know when that goes into effect, and when it does if Verizon will follow suit. But I have to believe they will. The days of clear QAM are numbered.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

I thought the encryption was more for an issue for true cable companies. Very easy to tap into a coax cable in many apartment buildings. A bit harder to get access to someone's ONT and tap into their Coax port. But I guess not impossible.

I was more just testing the Tivo worked then anything. I will put a cable card in when I starting using it again as my main PVR.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to jcondon

to jcondon
Just plug in your ZIP code:

»www.silicondust.com/supp ··· hannels/

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to jcondon

to jcondon
Has anyone else in VHO5 or VHO7 noticed that on some TVs QAM channels don't map to their PSIP channel number or switch back and forth from the virtual to actual location?

On my Insignia HDTV for example WNBC-DT was showing up as 4.1 then it went back to the actual location 72.3 along with its sub channels. The same with WABC-DT and WCBS-DT.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

All of the channels in VHO9a are that way, they never do proper PSIP channel numbering.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon to nycdave

to nycdave
I ran a scan and got most of the channels you listed in my spot check.

Thanks everyone for your help.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to jcondon

Premium Member

to jcondon
TIVOs will not receive any digital channels without a cable card not even in the clear ones. Without a cablecard it will only get analog which does not apply on FiOS .

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5

said by norbert26:

TIVOs will not receive any digital channels without a cable card not even in the clear ones. Without a cablecard it will only get analog which does not apply on FiOS .

Not entirely true.

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· a_id/298

In a nutshell, TiVo says you'll be able to receive ClearQAM channels (and you will) but they cannot guarantee guide data for them.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

said by Zero5 See Profile

In a nutshell, TiVo says you'll be able to receive ClearQAM channels (and you will) but they cannot guarantee guide data for them.

This was my experience. I didn't mess around with it long enough to see if the guide data would be useful or not.

I just wanted to make sure it still worked before upgrading it to Lifetime service.

I will put a CC when I decide to use it again.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to norbert26

MVM,

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

Just to build on what Zero and jcondon8 said, this is not true at all.

You can do a manual channel scan on a TiVo setup without a CableCARD and it will find any clear QAM channels. The issue is that guide data will not be mapped to the channels correctly. If you have a hacked TiVo 3 or HD, I (along with others' previous work) wrote a script that will map your channels to the TiVo guide data.