uniqs
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to CylonRed

to CylonRed

Re: [Rant] Do not go for vacation to Hong Kong

said by CylonRed:

Funny thing - I knew most of these facts and I have not been there... Their smog is legendary (they burn a HUGE amount of coal for power) - did you not see the olympics?

Which olympics? I may not remember.
said by CylonRed:

BTW - I find many big cities to be the same thing - expensive, dirty and all have questionable food somewhere frankly. The only really nice large city I have been to was San Fran. But I find Chicago, NY, LA to be dirty, unfriendly places.

I live in Chicago area, I find Chicago to be cleaner than NYC (which I also have been to), its relatively clean. The Loop is little dirty, but if you go nice places like River North, Lincoln Park they're clean. Even Magnificent Mile along Water Tower is very clean area. I have spent a lot of nights there where I have seen trucks sweeping roads and workers flushing sidewalks from dirt.

Lakefront trail along Lake Michigan is great for sports in summer. I enjoy biking and sunbathing there.

But anyway here are comparing not just cities but also countries. We talk about the city that is very well known in the world as a big city in Asia with British heritage, though after having been there I hardly see there.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

The summer olympics before the London olympics....

Brittan has not been involved in China for a good while. The Chinese have their own culture and is very old. In all of the pictures I have seen of China - I don't see the influence you expected and I have no idea what 'British heritage' you expected.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

said by CylonRed:

The summer olympics before the London olympics....

Brittan has not been involved in China for a good while. The Chinese have their own culture and is very old. In all of the pictures I have seen of China - I don't see the influence you expected and I have no idea what 'British heritage' you expected.

The Olympics were in Hong Kong? I thought the games were in Beijing.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 edits

CylonRed

MVM

They were in China but the problems of China (smog etc...) are going to be the same in Hong Kong.

I will note that British involvement in Hong Kong lasted longer than I thought...